• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Shot Question

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
I have been working up loads for my f/tr 308. I have been getting some really exceptional groups except for the first shot. The first shot from every 5 shot groupt will be 1-2 inches off from the rest of the group. I foul the barrel before testing. It happens wheather the barrel is could or warm from shooting a previous group. Could this be a bedding issue?

Re: First Shot Question

Consistenly first shot from every group? Try using different number of shots for group (3, 7, 10) see if still same. From info given sounds like shooter though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prekarious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consistenly first shot from every group? Try using different number of shots for group (3, 7, 10) see if still same. From info given sounds like shooter though </div></div>
Thats impossible, I'm the best shot in the world, haha. Going to a frends range next week, I'll let him shoot a few and see if it still happens.

Could be a parallax problem? BB

or, something else?

Maybe not quite the same, but I had a 308 that would always put the cold bore shot about 3.5" high. Velocities were also all over the place. Had the bore slugged and found it to be over size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flintlock Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe not quite the same, but I had a 308 that would always put the cold bore shot about 3.5" high. Velocities were also all over the place. Had the bore slugged and found it to be over size. </div></div>

Never had it checked to see if it is oversized. It's an Obermeyer so I would doubt it. It will put the next 4 within 1/4 moa, can't figure this one out. The gun came bedded when I bought it, I might take it to a gunsmith to check and see if the bedding could be the issue.

Any mechanical issue would show up just as frequently during your 2nd or 3rd or 4th or Xth shot. This really does point to a software issue, and all of the software is contained in the shooter.

Mine shot 1/4-3/8 moa at 100 yards too. However, when I increased the yardage, the group size really grew.

Add one more fouling round. Or clean and dry the bore before starting.

I have seen this phenomenon before. I would ask you to video your shoot. My guess is you are not comfortable on the weapon before the first shot. You are snuggling in on the subsequent shots and they are on.. It could be parallax. But most likely improper orientation.