• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report First shots at 1000 yards....

shelpster66

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
The Gunshine State
I started at around 400 yds and was doing pretty well.....then went to 565 gongs and hit those a few times. Up to this point, I hadn't shot at a thousand just because I was doing load development and working up data for 100 thru 600.

Well, I finally said the heck with it and entered the data into the program "shooter", and cranked the scope as high as it would go (30MOA) for elevation....corrected for wind and fired.

I was very surprised to see the splash in the sand right below the 10" target! I couldn't believe I got that close on my first shot....after 10 shots, I never did end up hitting the gong, but I was within a 3 foot area all around it. I actually had a guy next to me with a Win 300 ask me if my 308 could make it to 1000......pffttt.... uh,.....that would be a yes.

This is my target at 400 yards.....Installing a new Timney trigger this month too!!

15s7ukh.jpg

Re: First shots at 1000 yards....

If you have a single piece scope base, slip two small shims made of beercan aluminum under the very rear edge of your base. Tighten it all down again, and see if your scope will elevate enough for the 1Kyd mark.

If it does, take it apart again, paint the mating surfaces of the receiver with release agent, spread some epoxy under the base, leave the shims at the very rear, screw the base back on, wipe off any excess epoxy and let the epoxy cure. Remount the rest, and you now have a custom-sloped base.

It works and it's a simple, user accomplished fix.

Greg

Re: First shots at 1000 yards....

sounds like a good idea....I had a 20 MOA base put on it and thought maybe I should look at a 30 MOA, but $150 for a base seems to be a little much.

Thanks..