• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First spotting scope - please school me.

Caterpillardoc

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Doswell, Virginia
I started shooting long range about two years ago and am now looking of an affordable spotting scope. I would like to spend no more than $800.00 and would like suggestions on what to get. I have not looked through many spotting scopes, so don't know what works best. I currently have a Vortex Viper HS LT 4-16 x 50 FFP on my rifle, which is by far the best scope I have owned. Anything before was low end and there is no comparison to the quality.

I want to use the scope for spotting bullet hits on steel out to around 1000yds shooting .243, .260 Rem and .308 Win. The more I read the more I'm confused. Should I get a straight or angle body, 50mm or 60mm, what magnification, which brand and what should I avoid. I'm not opposed to purchasing used. What would you recommend?

For a budget scope get a Konus Spot 80, otherwise save up and buy a KOWA. Oh and don't skimp on the tripod, go Manfrotto.

Tag. I am in the same predicament I asked the bride if I could buy one, told her wasn't gonna be cheap and received approval. I have three vortex scopes so was leaning that way but I wouldn't be opposed to buying used if it was something a lot better in quality. I guess I want the best I can get for around 800

As far as straight or angle body goes how do you want to use it?

If your intent is to remain behind the rifle as much as possible get an angled scope and you will be able to turn your head from the rifle to check your shot without totally leaving position.

If your intent is to use the scope as an observation device than straight will work better for you. It will be faster to pick up what you want to observe.

Had a Minox MD62 ED for a number of years. Impressed a lot of friends that owned very expensive glass at the time. During a shooting clinic I took we were asked to line up all our spotters in a line so that everyone could look through them. Of about 12 or more spotters the Minox was ranked third best by the shooters in the course. Only a Kowa and Swarovski were judged to be better.

A great spotting scope for the money. Definitely check it out. Get the LER eyepiece if you go this route.

I started shooting long range about two years ago and am now looking of an affordable spotting scope. I would like to spend no more than $800.00 and would like suggestions on what to get. I have not looked through many spotting scopes, so don't know what works best. I currently have a Vortex Viper HS LT 4-16 x 50 FFP on my rifle, which is by far the best scope I have owned. Anything before was low end and there is no comparison to the quality.

I want to use the scope for spotting bullet hits on steel out to around 1000yds shooting .243, .260 Rem and .308 Win. The more I read the more I'm confused. Should I get a straight or angle body, 50mm or 60mm, what magnification, which brand and what should I avoid. I'm not opposed to purchasing used. What would you recommend?

Well if you have Vortex scopes already and you like them, Then why not Get one of their spotters weather you get the Viper of one of their better models either way its a win win situation,

John

Looked through a Razor with a wide angle eye piece last weekend and now I want one. Just the scope is $1300+ though. I started out with the cheaper leupold but found the eye relief too short so sold it and bought the Golden Ring and love the huge eye relief. Plenty clear enough to see bullet holes 200 yards plus a little depending on heat waves and I bought it new in the box off the hide here for $800. Very pleased with it. Great for shooting steel but if I was going to shoot F class or something where I didn't want to change positions I'd go angled.

I'm leaning to the Vortex Viper 20-60 x 80 angled body. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Its hard to determine what to get based on what you read. One thing I'm not clear on is that you can purchase a fairly clear glass for not a hugh amount and you have to spend a lot more to get pretty good. I'm just looking for something where I can clearly see bullet hits on steel out to 1000 yards. Currently I'm spotting for my shooting buddy using my rifle scope and he spots for me with his. Neither of us have a spotting scope and it's hard to see what is happening. I don't want to buy something and regret getting it later, I've done that with other gear before and I have learned the expensive way. I don't have a huge bank account and want to get something that will perform first time and possibly would upgrade later.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperhd20-60x80At the minimum I'd opt for the model above. With a spotter, especially at distance it's all about the glass and coatings. Spend as much as you can, or save a little while longer and get a demo unit Vortex Razor. You will not regret it. Also keep an eye on SWFA's sample list.Call Doug or Neil at CamerlandNY and inquire about Demo units. Let them know you are a forum member here and they will treat you right.

Ok, I can't help it...if you're looking for a way to see shots on targets that are 1000 yards away you will not find a spotting scope that will do this in most conditions. Heat waves rising from the ground are going to keep you from seeing the target regardless of how good the spotter is. You might be able to see shots on a target 1000 yards away first thing in the morning as the sun rises but once it warms up not a chance.

Sorry for the shameless plug but this is the reason I developed our TargetCam product. Users of our system place a camera on a tripod about 20 feet from the target and the live video image of the target is transmitted via wireless signal back to the shooting location and displayed on the screen next to you. Multiple cameras can also be placed downrange at multiple targets for even more fun. Each camera is set on a different channel and the user then just toggles to the different channels on his viewing station.

I talk to a lot of people who have bought expensive high end spotting scopes thinking they will see shots at 1000 only to find out they couldn't. I've had customers of ours call me from the field saying they were 5 miles from a target and could see 22 cal holes on a target clear as a bell with our system. Of course they weren't shooting that far just out messing around seeing what the system could do.

The cost of our system in the "Shop Sniper's Hide" link at the top of the page is $785 and we guarantee you will see your shots at 1000 and further. We have a lot of people using our system now for ELR stuff at 1 mile pluss. Some as far as 3200 yard world record attempts.

Last edited:
At Bang Steel courses, Dan Newberry uses a Vortex Viper HD 85mm scope to spot hits and missed out to 1200 yards.

I found a great deal on a Razor HD here on the Hide, so went that way.

I have no problem seeing hits (splash) on steel at 1000-yards with my 4-16 S&B. Now beyond that, shooting like a 243 it's hard to tell where the impact was on steel. There's a lot of factors; mirage, haze, caliber, etc. So don't let someone tell you it's impossible to see hits at 1000-yards on steel, even with a $89 WalMart special Bushnell.

As far as suggested scopes, take a look at the Kowa 60mm scopes, they will fit your budget, and have exceptional glass.

I have one of there 60mm with ED glass, which for some reason they have discontinued ED glass on the smaller scopes. With the 30X Wide angle eye piece, it's a great little scope.

Last edited:
i use my spotter to look at the moon/planets when i dont feel like setting up my big scope. i say get the angled ocular, a good tripod - i.e. manfrotto and the best glass you can afford; even if you have to wait a few months to save up the extra cash. you wont regret it. also, dont be too afraid of the used stuff; you can really get a good one for quite a bit less than new. buy it once. good luck

Zen Ray ED82 from cameraland. It's in your price range now. Use the zoom lens that comes with it while you save for a vortex eyepiece with reticle.

I found a slightly used Vortex Skyline 20x60-85 and Star D tripod. The glass looks really clear, I need to use this at a match to see how it works. The tripod is really beefy and stable, I think it will work great.