• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First suppressor (.22lr)

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
I'm thinking about getting a suppressor (my first one) for a .22lr. This will be used on a 10/22, Ruger MKIII hunter with a aftermarket Tac-Sol upper, and on a Savage MKII. What should I be looking for in a suppressor for these weapon systems. I know the threads will all have to be the same. Give me a few names to look into or are most .22lr suppressors going to do about the same?

Ken

Re: First suppressor (.22lr)

I went with a TAC65 from Tactical Innovations. Less expensive than most, is capable of being broken down for cleaning, and light weight.

my .02

I went with the Tac65 too. It's really light. Even on my MKII w/a TacSol barrel it's hardly noticeable. Fit and finish is good and it's quiet too. They've gone up a little since I bought mine but IIRC I paid $185 shipped for it. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to try it out.

I bought the SWR Spectre. So far compared to just about every other .22lr can I've heard, I think it sounds best. Slight edge over the AAC Element which I noticed a first round pop on.

2211Caspian_1.jpg

I have a prodigy, outback II, and tac65 currently. Hands down the new prodigy is the best sounding...

I wouldn't recommend the Outback II... it is ok, but it gets worse as it feels up with lead.

The Tac65 works well for what it is... cheap, good can.

If I was to buy a .22LR suppressor today it would either be a Spectre if I wanted it for full auto fire or a Sparrow.

Semper Fidelis,

Kent

AAC is in my backyard, I have an M4-1000, a Pilot, and sold an Element ..... if I was to buy a can at the moment I would buy a Silencer Co Sparrow.

got a sparrow and a outback II, outback is quieter, but cant take it apart to clean it like you can the sparrow.

Liberty Kodiak or Shoofly...great company to deal with ! These guys have really gone above and beyond in innovation and customer service.

I would stay away from the YHM 22 cans...good in that they are take apart but lagging on performance..

Outback is simply an outstanding can ! It is s sealed unit and will require you sending back to the factory for cleaning somewhere near 15000 rnds...this was my first suppressor and I shoot would absolutly buy another...
Silencerco Sparrow is also an amazing take apart can...

Ken, give or take all the cans listed are on par with each other. Most users have chosen them for specific likes of their own. SRT is another place to look, Doug's cans are top notch. And if I am correct Mike at Tornado is selling his new line of cans.
Personally I shoot an AAC Pilot and an SRT H17 both on my 17 hmr and 22 rifle and pistol. Both are quiet.
I think you will find that the MKIII and the Savage will be your favorites, the 10 22 leaves a lot to be desired for quiet unless you get a bolt lock to keep the action from cycling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... the 10 22 leaves a lot to be desired for quiet unless you get a bolt lock to keep the action from cycling. </div></div>

Good point. I noticed when I was shooting my 10/22 with the TAC65 that it was louder than I had hoped for. It took a few rounds for me to realize that the action cycling was louder than the rounds going off.

Use a polymer buffer on the 10/22. Cuts down the action noise. Also, use subsonic rounds.

10-22_Spectre_01.jpg

Biggest thing I would look for in a 22 can is ease of cleaning. 22 is FILTHY. Get a can that has stainless internals that can take the "dip" (50/50 vineger and hydrogen peroxide) that stuff will bubble the lead and fouling off the internals in just a few hours, wipes clean with a paper towel. Most other methods will have you scrubbing for hours to get the plasma sprayed lead and grime off.

Has to be stainless, AL will get eaten up with the dip.

CJG

Spectre is an all stainless takeapart can. So far, I've just cleaned mine on a regular basis so no lead has really built up.

The dip creates Lead Acetate. It's toxic. Soluble lead is very bad for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use a polymer buffer on the 10/22. Cuts down the action noise. Also, use subsonic rounds. </div></div>

I'm down with the subsonic rounds. I had ordered a brick prior to my stamp arriving. I have a new polymer buffer inbound. I'll see if that helps.

I used silencerresearch.com as my main resource in choosing my first .22 can because I don't have the option of listening to many of them in person.

I knew that I wanted a Stainless can because I want it to last a long, long time, especially with the fear that it might become illegal or much harder to purchase them in the future. I had to be able to take it apart for cleaning, and it had to work well on both a rifle (10/22) and a pistol (4.5" Tacsol barreled Buckmark).

All of that narrowed the field considerably, but looking at the best of the best, I was down to the SWR Spectre, the AAC Element, and the Liberty Kodiak. I ended up going with the Liberty Kodiak primarily because I preferred the one-piece baffle design. It was also ranked consistently high on every weapon tested whereas some of the others seemed to do Really good on pistol or rifle, but not so hot on the other. And yes, I know that sound meter ratings aren't everything, but I paid attention to what people wrote about each of these silencers as well. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those three. Also, when looking in threads of the sort like "what's the best .22 silencer?" the Spectre has a HUGE following.

See my review of the silencer research website 3rd post from the bottom of this thread:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...489#Post1439489

Good luck.

I already run Rem Sub-sonic ammo in my .22lr's. My Savage MKII really likes them, and they do ok in all my other .22lr. Now I need to step back and do a little studying on thses cans and see what will fit best for me. So far the Sparrow is looking to fit the bill just not stainless steel. So maybe I need to keep looking.

The other criteria that sealed the deal with the TAC65 for me was that Tactical Innovations also sells an already threaded 1/9" twist barrel, made for the suppressor. It is specifically designed to shoot the subsonic 60 gr rounds.

I had Liberty do a retrofit on my 22 can, MUCH quieter and one piece stainless core. Look at the Liberty Kodiak, same setup as the retrofit they did for me.

I would recommend getting something with the feature functionality you want in the price range you're hoping for.

Most decent .22lr silencers will sound similar enough that sound will be a mute point, but some of these silencers don't come apart or slave the user to one mounting option. That may or may not be what you're best served by.

I havn't even given the price a thought but I do see you can spend from 200 to 600 plus the stamp. I want this to last forever and run on multi-weapons. As stated above and I also have a Ruger Charger that may get out fitted with a threaded barrel. I think I would want to stick with 1/2 X 28 tpi type connection across the board. Like the looks of the Liberty Kodiak should last me forever and be very light which is a plus.

Dave Saylors (Liberty)shop is in GA and if you could swing it I would take a ride over there to check out first hand...

Another benefit of a lot of the stainless cans is that they're rated for higher pressure cartridges and or full-auto use, which gives you extra versatility. The Liberty Kodiak is rated for:
22LR, 17M2, 17 HMR, 22 Magnum, FN 5.7mm x 28mm, 22 Hornet. Plus it's full-auto rated for .22LR and .22 Magnum. This maybe be true for some of the other stainless silencers, but I don't recall which ones anymore. Just the one I chose.

Regards,
Nate

I used to have a sealed intergral 10/22 barrel. I traded it off.

I'll never have another sealed .22 can. Period. I now have a 22sparrow waiting on the ATF. I can't wait!!

ETA: the 22sparrow is full auto rated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stealth-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another benefit of a lot of the stainless cans is that they're rated for higher pressure cartridges and or full-auto use, which gives you extra versatility. The Liberty Kodiak is rated for:
22LR, 17M2, 17 HMR, 22 Magnum, FN 5.7mm x 28mm, 22 Hornet. Plus it's full-auto rated for .22LR and .22 Magnum. This maybe be true for some of the other stainless silencers, but I don't recall which ones anymore. Just the one I chose.

Regards,
Nate </div></div>

SWR Spectre is rated up to 5.7 in your list. Not sure on the hornet. Liberty seems like a good company.

The problem with the hornet is that it can be handloaded to very high pressures probably within 30% of .223. That is probably why SWR won't rate it compatible.. they know that 22hornet isn't "one item" as far as pressure and barrel length are concerned.