• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Switch Barrel Rifle!!!

davisj3537

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
After almost 12 months wanted to share my new toy with you guys.

Action-It’s built on a deviant ultralight action with an ionbond coating. It’s got a calvin elite trigger tuned to 8 ounces. It has two bolts, one in standard face and one mag face, both ionbonded and deep fluted.

Stocks-It has a custom built McMillan Game Scout with Edge fill. I got this because it’s super damn light and will be nice for hunting. It’s glass bedded. The other stock is a bell and Carlson with aluminum bed. This one is purposefully over 3lbs heavier and will be nice for the range. There is HS Precision Pro Steel bottom metal that hold both cartridges in 4 and 10 round mags. Harris swivel bipod.

Scope-Vortex AMG HD 6-24x50. This is basically the Razor 3 and it 20 ounces lighter than the Razor 2. It’s got a flatline ops articulating level and Nightforce Ultra light low rings. Sunshade and scope caps from Vortex.

Barrels-There are two 260s and two 300WM. One of each in a proof carbon fiber 24” barrels for hunting. Damn those are light. Then I’ve got one of each in heavy steel 28” barrels for the range. They all have thunderbeast brakes that the Ultra 7 suppressor screws onto.

Attachments

• photo66496.jpg
    photo66496.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 32
  • photo66497.jpg
    photo66497.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 25
  • photo66498.jpg
    photo66498.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 35
  • photo66499.jpg
    photo66499.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 29
  • photo66500.jpg
    photo66500.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 30
  • photo66501.jpg
    photo66501.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 29
  • photo66502.jpg
    photo66502.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 28
  • photo66503.jpg
    photo66503.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 31
Seems over the top at first I know, but you have to think long game. A lower end precision rifle costs about 2k once you figure in a FFP scope, base, rings, level, bipod, trigger maybe...etc and you still have lower end parts. I can pick up any new "rifle" I want for the price of a barrel and have all high end stuff for every cartridge. Considering picking up a 22-250 and 375 h&h and all together will cost 1000 and they'll be match barrels.

Any issues feeding the 260 out of the long action? I am planning a mausingfield la that I want a mild option as well as eventually going into the fast 7mms. I could do 6.5x55, 284, 280 R.E.M. etc but already have a reloading setup for 260 and a few hundred cases.

So what is the total weight with the McM and 260 Proof barrel? Very nice system you've got there, I like the stock color combo, its different.

Any issues feeding the 260 out of the long action? I am planning a mausingfield la that I want a mild option as well as eventually going into the fast 7mms. I could do 6.5x55, 284, 280 R.E.M. etc but already have a reloading setup for 260 and a few hundred cases.
I haven't had any issues. I had a long talk with Norm at Defiance about this and he felt that so long as the 260 was fed out of a DBM then it would be fine. I literally just threw it together for the pics and won't get to shoot the 260 for several weeks, but I did just feed about 100 rounds with no trouble.

I'm using a normal 30-06 mag for feeding the 260 and it seems to do well. They also make a mag designed for a 6.5x284 that has some type of spacer built in that pushes the rounds forward and would theoretically work "better" for short action cartridges. I didn't get that because they don't come in anything higher than 9 round and I will be shooting PRS.
So what is the total weight with the McM and 260 Proof barrel? Very nice system you've got there, I like the stock color combo, its different.
Pretty heavy scope (compared to hunting scopes), but it weighs in at 9.6lbs. With a lighter scope you can get under 9lbs. With suppressor it weighed in like 10.4 I think. Could drop some more removing sunshade and scope caps.

I did a ton of shopping around for the lightest parts I could find and have weights for everything, but the action. Forgot to weigh it before assembly. Will be glad to share if interested.

Last edited:
Good weight, I think 700 and clones are at about 40ish oz if made of steel.

I appreciate the response.