• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First Tactical Kit... what do you think

local4fitter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2013
Hey Guys, I have always been more of a handgun guy shooting IPSC and IDPA. Recently I came down with the "Long Range Bug". I'm new to all this and can't afford top tier equipment but this is what I want to do. Savage model 10 fp-sr .308, Vortex viper 6-24x50 mil/mil, base and rings undecided, Bell&Carlson Medalist Stock. I already reload .308 for hunting and would have to come up with a good load for this setup. Let me know what you think. Any opinions on base, rings, and load. This forum looks great. Lots of good info from guys who know. Thanks for your time. Doug

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice setup. Cant go wrong with Seekins, Badger, Nightforce base and ring sets. If you are looking for something a little less expensive, Warne Maxima base and rings are made in the USA and are at a reasonable price point. I have never had any ring marks on any of my scopes and Nightforce recommends them in their scope manual as an alternate to their rings.

As for top tier, I would not come into LR shooting with that mentality. Trust me, top tier gear does not make for a top tier shooter. Not saying buy crap, but read, read, and then read some more. Get lots trigger time (in the field), learn dope and wind and maybe take a LR class. I have seen guys with top notch equipment that can shoot sub half minute (off a rest), put them in the field and they are worthless.

I am a big fan of savage. They are accurate out of the box. If you decide you want to change calibers or just upgrade your barrel you can purchase a pre threaded criterion barrel and do it yourself. IMHO, unless you are going to go full custom, go savage.

If it was me, i would spend the extra money and go with a Manners stock (MCS T is the manners model closest to the medalist). Also if you want a more tactical looking bolt knob check out sharp shooter supply bolt parts. You can change it out yourself.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Have fun!

Welcome to the addiction! Looks like you are going to have a good starting point. I would go with a 20moa steel base from ether Badger or NF there are plenty other good brands out there though. I highly recommend American rifle company M10 rings, they are f'n awesome!

As for load, with the 308 you really have to go with the heavies (175-178g) or the light (155's) to shoot constantly out to 1K. I have been working with the 178 hornadys for over a month now and just can't get them to shoot the way I want to out of my 1:12 twist barrel. Your savage should come with a 1:10 twist so it will probably shoot the heavies a little better than mine.

That being said I just got in the mail yesterday some 155g berger hybrids that I am praying my rifle will shoot well. They have every advantage the 178's (@ 2700fps) do in the wind and require less elevation with a shorter flight time (@ 2900fps). The only down side is that they are about $15/100 more but if they work for me it will be worth it.

Hit for sale section here

lots of very nice custom rigs looking for new homes

Don't scoff at TPS rings, just cuz they cost less. Get the steel ones. I'd think any quality steel base would do.

A .308 load that works for me is 168 Hornady A-max bullets, over 44.0 gr Varget. 2.80" CoL. A consistent 0.50 MoA from my DPMS LR308.

Don't scoff at TPS rings, just cuz they cost less. Get the steel ones. I'd think any quality steel base would do.

A .308 load that works for me is 168 Hornady A-max bullets, over 44.0 gr Varget. 2.80" CoL. A consistent 0.50 MoA from my DPMS LR308.

Ill second that on the TPS rings, but was told by the girl from TPS that the alum alloy rings are actually stronger, dont think it really matters though, and I shoot 47grs CFE223 with the 168AMAXs, shoots very well out to 600yds, but thats not from a Salvage,Remington 700 all the way!!

The tps rings and their base are both nice, still have the base on my action but sold the scope and rings and run badger usmc rings now which are also excellent

Thanks for all the good info. Its great to be able to pick the brains of people that know what they are talking about. I will check out the TPS rings and bases. I feel confident in my choices now that I have had some feedback.

With the accu stock you don't need to change the stock. It's an out of the box accurate gun. I have a model 10PC 5r, it is a sub moa gun out of the box. You can really leave the gun as is. Go shoot and have fun.

unfortunately the Savage model 10 fp-sr doesn't come with the accustock. Too bad, it would have saved me a few bucks.