• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision First thermal what to put it on?

a1-equipment

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Salem VA
I final took the plunge and got a Bering optic hogster. Now got to figure out what to put it one. Do most of y’all run them on ar platform’s or bolt guns? Any issues for either platform? How accurate of a rifle do y’all put them. 1/4 moa match guns or 1 moa hunting rigs

Anyone tried one on something like a Henry long ranger?

Will be used on my farm for 200 yard and under for whatever is lurking in the tree lines of the fields.

AR Platform is my favorite for sure! Accuracy of the rifle isn't really a huge issue either way especially inside 200 yards like you mention. The AR is my favorite because it's easier to track your critters if you miss your first shot compared to a bolt or lever gun (inside 200, again)

It is hard to get small groups on targets with a thermal, I have 2 Hogsters and are happy when I can get 1" groups with any rifle. My sub MOA AR-15 's are 1-2 MOA using Thermal.

On some days I can get a small black dot in the center of a white sheet to be a good target and get better groups, but shooting at hand warmers, even 1/4 of one dosen't get as good of results.

I think the Hogster is perfect on the AR platform, to me it is a hunting tool, not really for target fun.

Bolt guns are nice if your running suppressed.

But for follow up shots at night an AR style is better in my opinion. Less movement involved for follow up shots.

I run mine on a suppressed 10.5” AR15 556 and think that’s perfect. Short and handy. Inside 200 plenty good. I have a QD sig Romeo 5 I swap out with the thermal when needed.

Also run it on a 18” AR and CZ scorpion suppressed

I run my thermal 98% of the time on a 10.5" 300BLK AR-15. It's plenty accurate for night hunting distances and the ability for fast second or third shots is nice.

Reactions: 240nmc
what is your hunting style and prey? if youre blasting at sounders of hogs who gives a shit and slap it on a short gasser of some sort. if youre killing dogs in big open ground like we do, suppressed bolt guns win every time.

I have killed hundreds of hogs with AR’s, it’s the obvious choice. Any caliber that tickles your fancy.

HOWEVER, for the last few summers I have at times taken the thermal out on a short barrel 308 bolt action with small bullets going fast. I REALLY like it. Even with manual bolt manipulation and a 10 round mag, I don’t kill less hogs out of the big groups. So long as you can get the LOP and eye relief set up properly, a bolt gun and thermal is pretty dang fun and effective.

(Pictures or it didn’t happen:)
0CB38E4C-29C7-45A6-96BA-B67ED98BA7C3.jpeg

23D386B2-1149-45A1-BDE8-46924484D6AD.jpeg

I just got my first thermal (Pulsar Core). I could not be happier. I started with it on a 7.5” Blackout suppressed. I moved it to my 6.5 grendel. Both AR platforms. Precision and thermal don’t really go together. Put it on a rifle you trust at 200 yards, you are unlikely to shoot further than that. If you are a bolt gun guy running subs and suppressed, that might make sense. However, I think most people put thermals on AR platforms As follow up shots are very common.

Reactions: YotaEer