• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing first time completly on my own

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
I've been hunting a few times with guides for pigs, rabbits, turkey and pheasant but for the first time ever I got to go out on my own. It was great to move at my own pace, try to 'read' the terrain by myself, and after getting my first jackrabbit actually skinning and gutting it myself.

Yea, I realize this would be a lot more impressive if I was 12, but for someone who grew up in the city and first went hunting at age 37 last year, I'm pretty happy about it.

.17 HMR shuts 'em down like flipping a switch.
smile.gif

Cottontail season is just around the corner!

rabbit-m.jpg

Re: first time completly on my own

Congrats and good shooting!

if you step it up to a center fire caliber it makes em easier to gut and skin. Congrats Frank
smile.gif

congrats, you never too old. some people don't have the luxury of growing up in the outdoors but its never too late to get into the outdoors. Welcome

BTW that thing has the BIGGEST ears I've ever seen on a rabbit. We dont have them, we have swamp rabbits. thats cool

Congrats, you have every reason to be proud. I grew up in CA and hunted with family and friends as a kid but got away from it all around the time I went to college and the next thing I knew I was living in NYC and hadn't hunted in decades. I moved back to CA about 10 years ago and I also decided it was time to get back into hunting and do it on my own. It's a great experience, each time. Plus, you're doing a public service by getting out and using California's land for hunting. Too few people do it these days around here and we run the risk of losing land open for hunting. So congrats and thanks!

Nice work. As stated above, you are never too old to get hooked on hunting. Bring a friend next time, and you can be the PH for them.

congrats....i recently started hunting as well and im 24...used a guide to hunt wild boar and another time a corsican ram on a hunting preserve...i needed to learn somehow.... now going to upstate NY this fall to hunt white tail deer(fair chase)....it was worth hunting with a guide and then on your own...i hope i have sucess like you did.......all my family that hunts or ever did live across the globe in Greece. nice to see other people starting to hunt even though they dont have someone close to them to teach them...feels good to know im not alone

If I 'step up' to a center fire I doubt there would be enough left to bother cleaning! Being able to use the .17 is one of the best parts of rabbit hunting, I love that rifle.

I'm trying to get my friends to get off their butts and get their hunting licenses since it's so easy. Even if we go out and don't get anything it's a perfect excuse to camp and get outside away from it all.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Congrats. Getting outside the city limits is the best part for me of any activity outside the city.

And, being 65, I don't think that the late thirties are late.
smile.gif

I didn't get started hunting until I was in my late thirties. I grew up in a family that didn't like weapons (AKA those mean nasty guns - not sure what happened to me). Have fun with it as a new and adventurous hobby.

Interesting to me is both my parents were in the Marine Corps during the Korean War time. My dad hated weapons but now that he is older has actually turned more to my thinking on the subject and has actually asked me for a couple of my weapons.

I salute your intrepidity.

I too am city raised, though country born (we went citiward when I was 4). I moved to my present rural location when I was 52, and was taken under the wing of a self proclaimed 'lifelong master poacher'. For several years I would join in his pack of crack of dawn drivers and lurkers and the entire experience was plainly exhilarating for a dunce such as me.

It culminated in several solo hunts of my own. About the only real issue was the drag after dressing the deer.

For reasons of prudence, I no longer go out in the woods alone. Since the events of Christmas Eve 2004, my heart places me in a gray area, which, truth be told, probably precludes any responsible thoughts of continuing my in nimrod delusions.

But an old man can still sit in one the verge of a field and reminisce with a rifle laid across his lap... My Wife makes me bring my cell phone...

I'll b 64 in 3 weeks, assuming heaven permits...

Greg

Rabbit hunting is still one of my favorite hunts
smile.gif

The dressing of rabbits on the other hand can take a while if your hunting party has a few dozen of them.

smile.gif

I love to hear when people find out what a great past time hunting is. its not just about killing something. when you can spend the whole day, just being in the woods, taking in the sites and smells of nature, have a great time and not shoot a single thing. then you can call yourself a hunter. glad you are having fun. it only gets better.

I'm 57 and just had my knee replaced. it stoped me from climbing trees to deer hunt. so i cammoed my golf cart and put in a gun rest. went hunting any way 2 weeks after operation. i killed my biggest deer yet.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drkilldeers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love to hear when people find out what a great past time hunting is. its not just about killing something. when you can spend the whole day, just being in the woods, taking in the sites and smells of nature, have a great time and not shoot a single thing. then you can call yourself a hunter. glad you are having fun. it only gets better.</div></div>

Well said, I think that sums up the experience nicely. I am not the most skilled hunter around and often come home empty handed. However, some of my most enjoyable hunts have been the ones where I stalked an animal for hours through the woods, ultimately didn't even get set up enough for a shot and came home filthy and exhausted. I was turkey hunting last week and as I sat against an oak tree looking out on the hills I figured that it must be what heaven is like.

Point being, drkilldeers is right on the money...it's about the hunt, whether you bring home meat or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I 'step up' to a center fire I doubt there would be enough left to bother cleaning!</div></div>

Haha that was the point.
smirk.gif

You know, cottontail stew has become a favorite with my family.
Kind of like chicken that turns into roast beef then back to chicken.
No sinew or tendons like chicken.

Good stuff.

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Try making "bacon" out of the backstraps? It's quite good with a unique flavor. I've had it a few times when I was in SD, but, as an Easterner, I never bothered to get the recipe.

First time I had it was after watching a older friend of mine down a jack-rabbit at 96 paces with a 6-inch barreled .357 Mag Ruger (GP100 maybe?). LOL. He had been telling me about the shots he'd been making, but I didn't really believe it until I saw him make that shot.

Welcome to the world of self sufficiency and knowing where food actually comes from. Enjoy yourself and hunting....some of the best things about it have nothing to do with killing.

Aye; food comes not from an aisle, but rather, usually from a field somewhere beyond walking distance.

A few times I've looked at the deer and decided that I just wasn't up to dressing and dragging one today; and that ultimately this was that deer's day to pass by unharmed but greatly appreciated anyway...

Seeing a deer pass by slowly, haltingly at less than ten feet's distance is an exhilarating moment. They really are fascinating when seen from up close. Besides, I didn't want to take a chance on startling it and getting impaled.

Greg

Congrats man I love getting out by myself!

For some reason rabbit hunting makes me think of that Disney movie "Open Season" where they throw rabbits at the 'hunters' haha

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a Savage Mark II and a 4-16x CenterPoint optic.
smile.gif
</div></div>
probably a 93 since its a .17hmr.

Its a good thing you took enough gun for that thing... Holy shit its huge... I hope you didn't break a nail cleanin it...

I've heard that in some areas these beasts have an armor plating around the scapula area similar to Feral Hogs...
Did you happen to encounter that on this particular Safari...

With cottontail season rapidly approaching you may want to step up in caliber choice...22 K-Hornet or 204 perhaps...

Hell since you're freelancing now, maybe go all the way and gun a 223 AI... I heard once from an internet legend
that even Jesus shoots the AI... You may have to make room in your purse for the larger casings on the downside...

Congrats ?!?!?! (shakin my head)

When I guide people for Rabbits I wear multi-hit plates. Sumbitches are getting tough around these parts. Hard to find too.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a 4-16x CenterPoint optic.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yes, indeed it is. No reason to mount up a nightforce to go shoot rabbits at 50 yards.

With all the hold-over and hold-under stuff they showed us at RO I just leave the turrets locked with a 100 yard zero, figure it won't fall apart on me that way and as long as I keep the power down I don't really notice the craptastic quality of the glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I guide people for Rabbits I wear multi-hit plates. Sumbitches are getting tough around these parts. Hard to find too.....</div></div>

It's the ones that sneak into camp when you're asleep and slit your throat that you've got worry about. That's the real problem when being in the field alone, no one to keep watch.

Congrats on the new pasttime. If you've any interest, check into the bear hunting the Ca. has to offer. If you are in, or don't mind traveling to, the northern part of the state, the bear hunting is phenomenal and there is a lot of publicly available land to hunt.

Man, last couple days have been rough here....

Walked outside yesterday and lo and behold, I found these Taliban spotters prancing around on my lawn! You can see where the little fuckers have been sneaking back and forth thru the wire trying to get the drop on me:

2quhwn6.jpg

So anyway....after 'reading' the terrain carefully (flat...) and a 3 hour long stalk I managed to get within 3 yards of the lead spotter:

zyc2t4.jpg

I proned out and was getting ready to put a 300gr SMK into the little sumbitch when all hell broke loose:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Luckily for me I had oncall Artillery from NM to save my ass.....
grin.gif

Be careful out there kids....