• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes first time mounting a scope and I've got problems

Walter Haas

San Francisco MAGA fan
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2019
San Francisco, CA
Hi, guys. I'm trying to mount a Vortex razor onto a Steyr sag 08 a1 pica tinny rail using the vortex extended cantilever mount cm 534. The videos say to put it to max power, 27x, and then move the scope forward or backward til I am in the sweet spot with my natural eye position holding the gun naturally. The scope can't come close enough to my eye with this mount. I need it to come back another inch, but the pic rail attachment points are as far back as they can come and so is the scope within the rings. See photo. It was Vortex who told me to buy this mount. To get my eye close enough my cheek is way off the riser. Am I doing something wrong?

One solution, and this is my question, could I not turn the cantilever mount backwards? Looking through images on google I see that its rare but some people do have this mount on the reverse direction. Should I do this?

Last edited:
Suppose you could reverse it as long as theres no cant to it.

Or you could just swap the mount. Typically see cantilever mounts on AR style rifles.

Is the Porsche for sale?
It just turned 2500 miles yesterday. Yesterday I was late to pick my friend's wife up from church before dinner and I was racing through the streets of SF and I was amazed how this car handles. No, I'm not particularly concerned with hitting the useless bums that the media now term "homeless" and adding to the s*#t pile on the sidewalks.

Reactions: Tom Nixon
It just turned 2500 miles yesterday. Yesterday I was late to pick my friend's wife up from church before dinner and I was racing through the streets of SF and I was amazed how this car handles. No, I'm not particularly concerned with hitting the useless bums that the media now term "homeless" and adding to the s*#t pile on the sidewalks.
I can't lie I don't normally just recommend a $400 scope mount like "which pack of ammo should I buy" , but between the rifle and the Porsche I was like "this guy wants the best and isn't going to blink a eye at the price"......LOL and I was correct smart choice on ordering the SPUHR.

Sounds like a Unimog with a snow plow attachment is a more appropriate commuter vehicle.

I can't lie I don't normally just recommend a $400 scope mount like "which pack of ammo should I buy" , but between the rifle and the Porsche I was like "this guy wants the best and isn't going to blink a eye at the price"......LOL and I was correct smart choice on ordering the SPUHR.
Well thank you for the recommendation. I had seen some threads elsewhere saying Spuhr was very good so I didn't think twice on your link, the specs on it made sense. Never heard of MidwayUSA but they were fast; shipped it out this morning for Tuesday delivery.

Well there's 100 yard rifle ranges in the Bay Area and then there's a 300 yard range west of Petaluma about an hour away, and a 445 about 1.5 hours away and 1000 yard about 2.5 hours away near Sac.

Reason I ask is there are quite a few hide members in the bay. I'm in San Jose myself. A couple of us shoot at Avenal and or San Louis Obispo which has out to a mile. I personally like to go out to the BLM land near Mercy Hot springs with distances mapped out even farther.

I love my ssg04. Make sure you know your ssg08 rail is 0moa or 20moa. Yes, Spuhr Mount is a great choice. I agree with other, cantilever Mount will not work for a bolt gun. It will not hold the 0 or it will break obj lenses in 2 shots.
Enjoy your steyr, it is 1/2 moa gun with a good factory ammo.

Last edited:
I would have gotten two Burris Signature rings. I am almost certain the 1.5" would allow the objective of your Razor to clear the picatinny, but if not worst case would be you would have to buy a pic-to-pic base from EGW or similar.

I recently purchased 2 spuhr mounts from optics planet. They had them discounted. Ended up paying about $350ish after tax. Those will definitely work.
What kind of rifle is that?

Hi, guys. I'm trying to mount a Vortex razor onto a Steyr sag 08 a1 pica tinny rail using the vortex extended cantilever mount cm 534. The videos say to put it to max power, 27x, and then move the scope forward or backward til I am in the sweet spot with my natural eye position holding the gun naturally. The scope can't come close enough to my eye with this mount. I need it to come back another inch, but the pic rail attachment points are as far back as they can come and so is the scope within the rings. See photo. It was Vortex who told me to buy this mount. To get my eye close enough my cheek is way off the riser. Am I doing something wrong?View attachment 7228742

One solution, and this is my question, could I not turn the cantilever mount backwards? Looking through images on google I see that its rare but some people do have this mount on the reverse direction. Should I do this?
Walter, come on, this was just a post to show off your sweet rigs right ;) Seriously, if Vortex rep told you to buy a cantilever scope mount for your Steyr they should have to eat it, that is foolishness. The Spuhr will serve you well but I'm a little surprised P-P sent you to Midway, there are some great Hide vendors who sell Spuhr as well - I like to support the vendors that support the Hide when I can.

Also, CS Tactical is a fantastic shop just out in Sacramento and they are one of the Hide vendors, you should take your Porsche for a drive and give them a visit one of these days, talk with Mike Cecil and Richard and tell them you're from the Hide, they will treat you right. (But I warn you, if you do go visit them you'll probably be replacing the Vortex with a Tangent Theta or ZCO after checking them out :D)

Reactions: Walter Haas
Reason I ask is there are quite a few hide members in the bay. I'm in San Jose myself. A couple of us shoot at Avenal and or San Louis Obispo which has out to a mile. I personally like to go out to the BLM land near Mercy Hot springs with distances mapped out even farther.
Was not aware there was a range in SLO out to a mile. I'm about 2.5 hours south.

I would have gotten two Burris Signature rings. I am almost certain the 1.5" would allow the objective of your Razor to clear the picatinny, but if not worst case would be you would have to buy a pic-to-pic base from EGW or similar.
Walter, come on, this was just a post to show off your sweet rigs right ;) Seriously, if Vortex rep told you to buy a cantilever scope mount for your Steyr they should have to eat it, that is foolishness. The Spuhr will serve you well but I'm a little surprised P-P sent you to Midway, there are some great Hide vendors who sell Spuhr as well - I like to support the vendors that support the Hide when I can.

Also, CS Tactical is a fantastic shop just out in Sacramento and they are one of the Hide vendors, you should take your Porsche for a drive and give them a visit one of these days, talk with Mike Cecil and Richard and tell them you're from the Hide, they will treat you right. (But I warn you, if you do go visit them you'll probably be replacing the Vortex with a Tangent Theta or ZCO after checking them out :D)
LOL, well of course there's a little self advocacy when someone's trying to feel out a new arena for themselves. But I do see this as a black art passed down, and not something you go purchase. If "they" let me in on how it works I have a shot at being a good long range shooter. If "they" reject me, its not going to happen. Have you had that happen to you?

Well thank you for the recommendation. I had seen some threads elsewhere saying Spuhr was very good so I didn't think twice on your link, the specs on it made sense. Never heard of MidwayUSA but they were fast; shipped it out this morning for Tuesday delivery.
Love the Spuhr mount. It was worth the extra money by virtue of several added details the Vortex mount didn't have, especially the bubble level. Thanks!

I love my ssg04. Make sure you know your ssg08 rail is 0moa or 20moa. Yes, Spuhr Mount is a great choice. I agree with other, cantilever Mount will not work for a bolt gun. It will not hold the 0 or it will break obj lenses in 2 shots.
Enjoy your steyr, it is 1/2 moa gun with a good factory ammo.

CameralandNY sells the Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 with cantilever mounts. If that’s a no go on bolt guns, wouldn’t they say so?

Love the Spuhr mount. It was worth the extra money by virtue of several added details the Vortex mount didn't have, especially the bubble level. Thanks!
Get a flatline ops bubble level or something similar. So it is you see the bubble at eye level.The Spuhr bubble sits under the scope an is not really useable.

Get a Flatline Ops bubble level or something similar. The Spuhr bubble level is not really useable because it sit under the scope an out of you line of sight.

Or give this one a try