• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First time out to 300

Mormegil87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    The Frozen Tundra
    Taking my remington 700 in an AICS out to 300 meters for the first time tomorrow. I've only been shooting "precision" for about 6 months. I'm shooting 168gr Gold Medal Match. Just looking for some advice. I know 300 meters is long distance by any stretch but it's fairly daunting to me as I've never shot that far before.

Have fun.
    Remember,
    Relax
    Crosshairs
    Relax
    Trigger
    Relax
    Breathe
    Relax
    BOOOM
    Hit
    Relax

Repeat as needed.

You may find you shoot relatively tighter than 100 as you may not see your bullets holes and you can just focus on breaking the shot and not the mental pressure of "keep the group going" if that makes sense.

Thinking about the group size as you shoot is a horrible mental distraction. I advise using a target where the holes would be hard to see vs. a shoot-n-see or something like that. This is also why the "Sniper's Hide Dot Drill Target" was designed. I use it regulary at 100.

Set your target. Get behind the EMPTY/UNLOADED (check it again) gun and set/adjust parallax. Verify you are parallax free (do a quick search on here as to how to check properly). Put your come up on the scope (about 5 moa give or take). Now, snap in/dry fire a bit. It's a "free" warm up and focus on your fundamentals. Make your wind call and decide if you are going to hold or dial wind (I would hold). Load up/go hot and follow your fundamentals. Press the trigger. Follow through and observe impact. Run the bolt. Rebuild your postion and repeat. Make a simple checklist in your head or even jot it down and follow it.

Something simple like:
    Range
    Parallax
    Elevation
    Wind

This is just basic stuff, but it's what I go through in my head before sending a round on it's way downrange. Have fun and be SAFE.

Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate all the help. It's my first time at this specific club/range, they do have steel targets at 300 meters.

Learn to read the wind/mirage and don't forget to load your bipod (if you're shooting from one).

Go out and have fun!!!
    If you know your FPS you can build a range card on line and take with you and that will help with scope adjustments.

A quick update.

First off thanks for all the advice and tips, they helped immensely today. The shooting could of gone a little bit or a lot worse. The wind was horrible today (still learning the art of judging the wind and making the proper adjustments) with half value 15-20mph at my firing position and full value 15-20mph winds at my target. Not having any DOPE for this range manx it difficult as well. My cold bore shot was was way off of what my pre-configured ballistic chart said both for elevation and windage. it took me about 8 shots to get to where I needed to be but in the end I ended putting 11 out of 20 on steel at 300 meters.

All in all I look at it as a good learning experience and a good place to start and expand my knowledge and abilities.

Nice work! I've zeroed my rifle at 200 and work back at forth between 200&300 yards. It helps me build my data card. Personally I still testing ammos to see what my rifle, Thumper, likes best!

-BTO-

I just shot out to 300 yards. I've only just started long range shooting and shot maybe 50 rounds so far.

The hardest thing about 300 yards is keeping the scope centered on the target. Any movement will throw you off, the wind hitting you will also move the cross hair.

I just shot out to 300 yards. I've only just started long range shooting and shot maybe 50 rounds so far.

The hardest thing about 300 yards is keeping the scope centered on the target. Any movement will throw you off, the wind hitting you will also move the cross hair.

Are you trying to shoot off-hand (standing) or prone/bench? Off-hand out to 300 yards is pretty challenging, but 300 yard in prone or other stable position should be pretty easy.

Are you trying to shoot off-hand (standing) or prone/bench? Off-hand out to 300 yards is pretty challenging, but 300 yard in prone or other stable position should be pretty easy.

I have a lot to learn. I honestly just propped up my gun on a huge dirt mound to be able to hit a target out to 300 yards. The wind was pretty bad that day also.
    I hit about 80% of a 10"x15" paper target.

most shots were low-right. The wind was blowing to the right, so I assume maybe it was because of the wind.

I honestly don't have much experience and only shot maybe 50 times with the scope mounted.

The biggest issue was holding the cross hair centered on the target, I would move easily. It didn't help that the shooting position I was in wasn't the best.

20140503_101409_zps3jnvhzko.jpg

I have a lot to learn. I honestly just propped up my gun on a huge dirt mound to be able to hit a target out to 300 yards. The wind was pretty bad that day also.
    I hit about 80% of a 10"x15" paper target.

most shots were low-right. The wind was blowing to the right, so I assume maybe it was because of the wind.

I honestly don't have much experience and only shot maybe 50 times with the scope mounted.

The biggest issue was holding the cross hair centered on the target, I would move easily. It didn't help that the shooting position I was in wasn't the best.

View attachment 37219

If you are missing low consistently, your elevation on your scope was probably incorrect. What ballistics calculator are you using?

I'm a newbie also and have been shooting seriously less than a year. I found lowlight's training videos on this site very informative. It's the best 10 bucks(per month) I ever spent. I also like watching PRS videos because it shows me creative ways to get into a stable shooting position. Shooting prone isn't always practical.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z9oQL6DxJp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Set your target. Get behind the EMPTY/UNLOADED (check it again) gun and set/adjust parallax. Verify you are parallax free (do a quick search on here as to how to check properly). Put your come up on the scope (about 5 moa give or take). Now, snap in/dry fire a bit. It's a "free" warm up and focus on your fundamentals. Make your wind call and decide if you are going to hold or dial wind (I would hold). Load up/go hot and follow your fundamentals. Press the trigger. Follow through and observe impact. Run the bolt. Rebuild your postion and repeat. Make a simple checklist in your head or even jot it down and follow it.

Something simple like:
    Range
    Parallax
    Elevation
    Wind

This is just basic stuff, but it's what I go through in my head before sending a round on it's way downrange. Have fun and be SAFE.

This for a start. Then consider that thinking about 'releasing' the shot, rather than 'pressing the trigger', may have some value.

I can clearly remember when 300yd was all the distance I could find for many years, then suddenly finding myself in a competition at 1000yd. Apprehensive at first, I pretty much immediately realized this was gonna be the ultimate hoot.

That experience impressed me about the wind for the rest of my life. Really, the only effective way to learn how to shoot the wind is to do it and keep doing it. There are intangibles that only start to make sense after a lot of repetition and practice. Rather that resenting the wind, try finding some enthusiasm for seeking it out and getting a solid handle on it.

Don't shoot for groups; shoot for having the absolutely same sight picture every time the shot releases. You maintain a steady, proper sight picture while sorta sneaking up an the sear break point. If you get 'off your game', stop the trigger sequence, get your breath settled, rebuild the sight picture, and start the trigger cycle over again. The groups will follow.

Having a proper position is crucial to consistency which is the core principle within good marksmanship. Shooting with a bipod has several key points to it; look for Lowlight's posts on the subject, and consider signing up for his videos. Proper rear support and stock manipulation will steady your sight picture and avail you of better control over your aim. Until you can shoot to a consistent point of impact, knowing how to adjust for center will have very limited value.

FGMM is the Gold Standard for factory match ammo, IMHO. But you can do better by learning handloading and doing load development to find the precise load your rifle prefers best. That load may end up duplicating the FGMM exactly, but I think it's better to have that kind of control over what you feed your rifle. Equally important is the wisdom to resist allowing handloading to become the be all, end all of your accuracy regimen. Better to view it as a necessary chore, keeping what you do as simple as possible, and doing that minimum with care and diligence.

Ultimate accuracy and perfect ammunition is not my goal. Adequate accuracy and repeatably consistent ammunition is. Sub-MOA accuracy is good but not especially crucial when 2MOA accuracy will reliably deliver you a 10.

Importantly, understand that shooting is a physical sport where strength and flexibility form the basis for better marksmanship. Combining this with good position and support can minimize or even eliminate fatigue from the overall picture, where it ain't ever your friend.

I used to be a better shooter, but I was never the best shooter in sight. Understand that accuracy is in the heart of the shooter, and not in the eye of the beholder. What another shooter accomplishes is their matter, what you and I should be doing is working on making our own performance better. In essence we ourselves are our only true competition.

Greg

Last edited:
    ^
    This is something I love about this forum. Soooooo many people have so much more knowledge about this discipline that I do or would be able to figure out on my own. I have already been able to take some of these tips and translated them into tighter groups and more enjoyment at the range

-BTO-

I have found myself checking this for info more than any other. I appreciate all the info from those that have replied

Today at 300 went much better than my first attempt. Having my iPad with ballistic AE on it helped immensely. Fired a total of 30 shots with 26 total hitting their mark. Of the 30, 5 were at a 4 inch diameter plate, manage 4 hits on that. Still have some room for improvement though.