• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time out with my FN SPR

Blackjack988

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Woodbridge, NJ
So it's taken a long while but I finally managed to find some time away from work and family to get my completed FN SPR out to the range. This has caused me to realize one major fact, I still have a lot to learn about precision shooting.

First, the specs:

Threaded and Fluted 24" FN SPR A2/A4 from Tactical Coordination in .308 Win
- CDI Bottom Metal
- Badger Bolt Knob
- KMW Loggerhead install by stockdoc
- JEC Customs .308 Muzzle Brake

Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x34mm (Special thanks to Jason at EuroOptic)
- Spuhr 0MOA Mount (Bought from Mile High)

At the moment i'm shooting through a small stockpile of 168 Gr FGMM I had bought for it. I had intended to do a load workup today but the wind was blowing my target all over the place and I couldn't get consistent hits anywhere. I'll have to try again when there is significantly less wind. The group pictured was a 10 shot group (168 FGGM) to verify zero and ensure that everything was working correctly. It measures just above 1.1 MOA.

The rifle is definitely sub-moa capable although I'm not quite there yet with it. I can easily keep 1/2-3/4 MOA groups with my Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 so I think its just a matter of getting used to the rifle.

Overall, i'm really happy with all the equipment listed. Can't wait to get a good load worked up for it to see what its really capable of!

Apologies for the quality of the pictures. They're the best I can do for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    819.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    824.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 14
spr's can shoot reaaly well, I have three of them and when they miss it is my fault.
congrats and good shooting.
cheers.

Nice looking rifle and you did great for your first time. Each of my rifles has their own personalities and you'll learn soon enough how your new girl likes to be pampered.

That might be the first McMillan A4 stock that I have seen with the KMW modification done to it. I love the A4 stock and have always wanted to do this on one.

Looks great.

Very nice! I have the same rifle, and am getting ready to send the stock off to stockdoc to have the loggerhead setup put in mine. Nice to see some pic of one done

They are great rifles, and congrats on your shooting. Hope you continue to enjoy yours as much as many of us have. :)

FYI every SPR I have loves these two loads. 43.5 gr IMR4064 and any 168gr bullet or 42gr IMR 4895 with a 168gr bullet. Both loads typically cut my group size in half of what they will shoot with the fac fed gold medal load. I try to use FGM primers but both loads seem to shoot just as good with winchester or cci primers. My best groups have been with the Hornady 168gr match bullets. Oh and I seat the bullets to 2.83 LOA and also hand way every charge. Should give you a good starting point.

Last edited:
I love my SPR, it gets few a healthy diet of 178g Amax's and 44.4g of Varget and loves it