• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time out with my new 700P

MrSaturn7085

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Around September I put together a 700P .308 after doing a good deal of research on what would be a good first precision rifle. Was finally able to take it out to the range for the first time a few days ago and was pretty pleased with the results. This is not only my first time shooting this rifle, but my first time shooting anything larger than a .22LR from the bench (and I haven't even done that in years)
grin.gif

Scope is a SWFA 10x42 SS and I was shooting Federal GMM 168gr.

73076_479645026702_617966702_6796956_5857857_n.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Re: First time out with my new 700P

aint nuthin in the world wrong with that! First time out and with something larger than a 22lr...good deal man!!

I just put the same gun together as well. Unlike you, I haven't shot, due to weather. Looks good along with your shots.

Not bad at all. Now roll some of your own loads and watch the groups tighten up. My 700 didn't quite like the FGMM as much as yours at this point.

All other things being equal, handloads will perform much better.

Nice shooting! I love my 700P, you will too. With that exact same scope and rifle I was shooting stuff at 1000 yards, you will have a lot of fun.

Looks like a great setup. I will be breaking in a 5R this summer with a SS 10x as well.

Regards, John

I'm planning on learning to handload this upcoming Spring when I've got a little more free time. Out of about 30 rounds, the only 5-shot string above 1 MOA was my first try at 200yds.

One thing I will say about the SS scope that I noticed right off was the extra stuff SWFA pushes when purchasing the scope (i.e. sun shade, kill flash) really don't work that well. The sun shade I received was the wrong thread and the kill flash did nothing but look cool and blur the image (more than just a little) through the scope.

How did the scope perform for you. Would you buy that scope again

I've got a 700P and it has come a long way. As you can see in my sig it's got a McM A4, Rad Tac DBM, Tuned Rem trigger, and at the smith right now going to be cut down to 20" with a Surefire muzzle break. Thing outright shoots.

Great shooting! Great setup also. I have had a chance to shoot/look through the 10x SWFA and it is definitely a good optic for the money. Plan on doing hand loads?

That is some nice shooting congrats.

I had a 10X SS for a short time. I bought it to use while I was waiting for one of my NF scopes to get back from getting worked on. It is a decent scope for the money, but watch that seam at the objective bell. When I was mounting mine, I tried to spin the scope a little to get the reticle square. It turned out that I had forgotten to loosen the rings back up. When I went to tweak the scope a little, the objective came loose at that seem. I don't know what I was thinking, but when I turned it, I felt is turn, but the turret didn't seem to move. Like a dumb ass, I did this a few times before I realized that the whole objective bell was turning. It wasn't right after that.

I do have to admit that SWFA made it right and sent me a new one.

BTW, my shade didn't fit either. Apparently there are a few versions of the same scopes going around. Maybe from different manufacturing facilities? I don't know, but the lady said that I was sent the wrong sun shade and sent me out the right one and the flip ups to go with it.

The SS10X has a really good rep around here. I guess my experience was an anomaly.

Thats damn good shooting! Also thats a nice looking setup, that should keep you going a long time before the "tacticool" bug bites you and you start the ramen noodles diet lol. BTW had a SS10x when I first started shooting, it worked great.

Looks like your on the right path, good job. BTW, how did you measure your group. That's a precise number you put up there.

Late reply, but I recently started hand-loading. Just finished testing how hot I can go and based on some ladder testing, I'm planning on starting with:

43.9gr Varget
168gr Sierra MatchKing
Federal GMM Brass (for 1-2 reloads)
Federal 210m Primers
2.800" COAL

In response to the other questions: yes, I would buy the SWFA scope again, but eventually I may sell it and get a Nightforce. The kill flash that came with my scope fit the threading (the sun shade did not), but the difference in clarity with and without the kill flash is staggering. I will never waste money on one of those again.

I used an electronic caliper to measure the distance between two bullet holes, and subtracted the diameter of a single hole from the total. This is probably accurate to the hundredth at best, but I generally measure twice and average the results - rarely more than a ~0.003 difference each time.