• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First time reloading. Where to go from here. 6.5 Creedmoor

GNCC407

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
Strasburg, OH
I just completed my first ever 10 shot Satterlee load development for my Ruger RPR. I am using once fired Hornady brass, Hornady match 140 bthp H4350, CCI BR-2 primers. All brass trimmed to 1.915 with a 2.240 CBTO. I have 2 nodes going on with no real signs of pressure the 43g load has a very faint primer crater. If anyone can give me some insight I'd appreciate it since I'm learning along the way. Thank you all.

Reactions: Bender
Definitely something to be looked at between 41.5-41.8 and 43-43.3 if pressure doesn’t become a problem when it’s hot out.

I’d try a load in between those areas and see what accuracy and SD/ES is.

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
Ya the upper end had me questioning it the temp outside today was 42 here in Ohio. Any tips on zeroing in on the 41.5-41.8 range. I'm glad I bought the Magno V3 very helpful today.

If it were me, based on the 42 degree temp I'd load 41.6 and go shoot at distance.

I had a node at 41.8gn of H4350 @ 2650 fps out of a 22" barrel with 147 and 143gn ELD-M/X loads, but I destroyed my Hornady brass primer pockets doing it. It worked fine for 3-4 firings and then primers started falling out when chambering / ejecting brass. I switched to Lapua. Might want to try some small primer pocket brass (Lapua or Starline) before that happens to you.

I've shot out 2 factory rpr barrels, they were great factory barrels. My load was 41.5 to 41.7 h4350 with 140 eldm. That 43 grain load might get you into trouble when it warms up. Good luck.

I have 5 loaded to 41.6 and 5 to 41.9. The 43g I think is going to end up a problem when the summer comes as you said abn31c. Will 5 rounds each be enough to give me data or do I need to load 10 of each?

Shoot them at 200 or better 300. If one or both shoot good load em and shoot em. I only use my magneto to check speed ES, SD after I find a load. Dont get caught up in numbers you'll just waste components. Ask me how I know.?

I’d shoot 3 rounds(maybe 5) of 41.5, 41.7, 41.9, and 42.1. Then pick the one with the best sd/es then adjust group size by fiddling with seating depth. Or just buy prime ammo.

I’d shoot 3 rounds(maybe 5) of 41.5, 41.7, 41.9, and 42.1. Then pick the one with the best sd/es then adjust group size by fiddling with seating depth. Or just buy prime ammo.
Op is shooting 140 grain bullets. Sd/es can largely be controlled by one's reloading process and primer selection.

I would go shoot a real test, with more than 1 data point per charge and a target to tell me where the bullets hit. Especially if I was brand new to reloading. By happen stance, there is a "flat spot" right where there is a well known node though. Should be right around 41.6. Could use that and run an OAL test.

Op is shooting 140 grain bullets. Sd/es can largely be controlled by one's reloading process and primer selection.

I don’t know why it matters what weight bullet he is shooting.
I guess since the op is attempting the scatterlee method I assumed his reloading process was up to snuff.

I don’t know why it matters what weight bullet he is shooting.
I guess since the op is attempting the scatterlee method I assumed his reloading process was up to snuff.
I believe the prime ammo you mention is 130 grain. Thats all I was getting at.

I just completed my first ever 10 shot Satterlee load development for my Ruger RPR. I am using once fired Hornady brass, Hornady match 140 bthp H4350, CCI BR-2 primers. All brass trimmed to 1.915 with a 2.240 CBTO. I have 2 nodes going on with no real signs of pressure the 43g load has a very faint primer crater. If anyone can give me some insight I'd appreciate it since I'm learning along the way. Thank you all.View attachment 7040307
Repeat the test in 0.2 grain increments from 41 42 grains.

Do a .2 ladder at distance. Find your middle spot. Shoot 2 or 3 loads for 3 round groups at distance. Look for the smallest vertical spread. I don't think 100 yards tells the whole story.

I have an RPR too and it 'likes' MV of around 2700-ish and shoots nice groups ( 1" or under at 100) there, or an MV a tad under). I get that with 41.5 gn of H4350. 140 Hs and 142 Sierras. 2.80-2.81 COAL. It's not fussie. Made hits on steel at 300 and over. The charge is under book max, so no pressure problems and not burning up my barrel prematurely. Good enough for me. I don't need to reinvent the wheel. I'd stay with your node at 41.6. Good luck :)