• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FIRST TIME SHOOTING A 50 CAL

ehess60

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2009
After much hesitation and fear of the unknown , I finally fired the 50 cal. To my surprise, It wasn't that bad at all. Instead of a harsh instant SLAM , its more like a firm push. The muzzle break does a tremendous job in balancing out the recoil. My 145 Lb wife shot it . Lol We all agree it is a Huge Rush. Everyone was standing well behind me on the first shot. I turned around to see the expression on their faces and couldn't see them for a brief moment. The loose dry dirt on the ground created a cloud we couldn't see through. HA HA. I am impressed with the accuracy too. The 750 gr Hornady Amax round seems pretty damned good for factory ammo. Once the rifle gets broke in and I become comfortable I will post some pics of my results.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Which model? My Barrett 99 I could shoot all day long I think.

Only one I ever shot had spade grips and a butterfly trigger.
Whenever I hear 50 cal. I think of the ma deuce too. My favorite sniper story is when gunny hathcock had a scope mounted on a m2 so he could reach out a bit farther. I heard another fella did the same thing to kill a terrorist a year or so back, but I digress.
Congratulations to the OP on getting his wife to join him in this sport we all love.

My experience was doing some cross training with the Heavy MG platoon in the PI.

I was impressed with the accuracy.

Probably was using a receiver three times my age. Should have been a gun geek back than.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Nice job getting your wife to pull the trigger behind the 50 cal. Kudos to her for having good shooting fundamentals to begin with behind a rifle to not get scoped first time out with 50 cal...

My experience was doing some cross training with the Heavy MG platoon in the PI.

I was impressed with the accuracy.

Probably was using a receiver three times my age. Should have been a gun geek back than.
Did you spend any time with the LBFMs? I remember a few guys who even earned their red wings there. Lmmfao

Did you spend any time with the LBFMs? I remember a few guys who even earned their red wings there. Lmmfao

A different age, a different world.

24,901 miles was actually a much bigger distance than it is today.

I didnt realize it at the time but i was living the end of the analog era about to have everything changed.

All though Beastie Boys "Fight for Your Right to Party" was the music of the day Glenn Miller would very well have been appropriate.

Only MaDeuce rocks on and probably with those same receivers now approaching 100 years old.

Reactions: jcmullis2
A different age, a different world.

24,901 miles was actually a much bigger distance than it is today.

I didnt realize it at the time but i was living the end of the analog era about to have everything changed.

All though Beastie Boys "Fight for Your Right to Party" was the music of the day Glenn Miller would very well have been appropriate.

Only MaDeuce rocks on and probably with those same receivers now approaching 100 years old.
I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s hard to improve on great designs. The colt 1911 is still around and going strong too. The m16 is the new kid on the block and it’s basic deign is all the rage with the wannabe’s.

I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s hard to improve on great designs. The colt 1911 is still around and going strong too. The m16 is the new kid on the block and it’s basic deign is all the rage with the wannabe’s.

M16 is close to 60 years old.

Reactions: Boltyboi
I bought a Sig Sauer 50. So far I really like it. It is a badass weapon. My AR-50 single shot shoots ok, but It is heavy , plus I wanted a repeater.
I thought your username was familiar, I saw that Sig. Good looking rifle, glad you enjoyed it and the wife got to enjoy it. I still haven’t got my wife behind the 99, but she wants to, so someday.

Shot a few roundas o/o a Mk82A1 on the Quantico range. About the same as a 12ga, but double hearing protection is a must.

I’ve shot a custom McMillan 50BMG with a brake that weighed 35lbs scoped and a 7 lb Winchester model 70 in 458 Win Mag and I can tell you it’s night and day. The latter is like getting kicked by a pissed off mule. The former was akin to a 12ga semiauto.

Reactions: ehess60
The only thing I remember about shooting 50 cals the feeling in the base of my skull from the muzzle break....

The range officer made me leave because I kept shooting steel plates, but when I got bored with that I started shooting the hangers holding up the steel plates... Those rifles were surprisingly accurate

Reactions: ehess60
Shot a few roundas o/o a Mk82A1 on the Quantico range. About the same as a 12ga, but double hearing protection is a must.
No Doubt ...Absolutely. I fucked up Saturday. Some people came over to talk and ask about the gun. And wanted to watch me shoot it. I directed them to stand way back and to place fingers tightly in their ears if they didn't have hearing protection. . Forgot to put my own ear protection in place. I squeezed one off Startled, I thought the gun blew up. Took me a moment to collect my senses . Then I realized my plugs were hanging around my neck. Ouch., Will Not Do That ever Again. Very Lucky I didn't burst my inner ear.

I thought your username was familiar, I saw that Sig. Good looking rifle, glad you enjoyed it and the wife got to enjoy it. I still haven’t got my wife behind the 99, but she wants to, so someday.
My wife doesn't possess that male testosterone thing that screws us up. Let me tell you , you wouldn't want to be in her sights. She can shoot and she loves the rush.

I would love to be able to shoot at Quantico. What distances do they have there? If I get to go around again, I am definitely going to enlist .

Does anyone have any experience with suppressors and what is a good reliable brand? I would like to buy a couple of good ones. 1 for my 50, 1 for my 308, 1 for my 6.5 Creedmoor and also my 22lr and 22 wmr IF I order multiple ones do I have to pay $200 to the ATF for each one? Is there any good ones that can be used for multiple calibers effectively . I know the 50 will be for just the 50. Thanks in Advance.

No Doubt ...Absolutely. I fucked up Saturday. Some people came over to talk and ask about the gun. And wanted to watch me shoot it. I directed them to stand way back and to place fingers tightly in their ears if they didn't have hearing protection. . Forgot to put my own ear protection in place. I squeezed one off Startled, I thought the gun blew up. Took me a moment to collect my senses . Then I realized my plugs were hanging around my neck. Ouch., Will Not Do That ever Again. Very Lucky I didn't burst my inner ear.
You got lucky not bursting your eardrums... most folks double up their hearing protection when shooting large calibers, especially 50bmg with muzzle brakes.

I carry significant permanent hearing loss in my left ear from one single shot of a ported 12ga Mossberg at about 2ft from my left ear. All hearing damage is cumulative, it does not heal.

My SIL and I were hunting deer and as he came up to say something to me, he fired a snap shot at a buck which had suddenly appeared.

Within 6 months, I had thrown in the towel and obtained hearing aids from the VA (Occupational Hazard of running Generators 24/7 for 13 months and living right alongside).

It can hit you in an instant, with no warning. Since the damage was done; I explained his need for greater caution, and left it at that.

He's that good of a guy.

I have just recently mounted a linear comp on my 20" 6.5 Grendel to try and redirect some of the concussion away from the other shooters on the line. Still waiting for the temps to get reasonable, and the lockdowns to ease. Today is the first day in about a month that the peak temp might get below 100.

Greg

Last edited:
I have a SHTF, 5 shot, 50BMG rifle. I compare it to shooting a 12 gauge shotgun. Nothing too drastic. Everyone who has ever shot it has come away with a giant smile on their face. However, I insist that everyone use ear plugs and ear muffs. This includes everyone on the firing line. The thing is brutal on the ears.

I carry significant permanent hearing loss in my left ear from one single shot of a ported 12ga Mossberg at about 2ft from my left ear. All hearing damage is cumulative, it does not heal.

My SIL and I were hunting deer and as he came up to say something to me, he fired a snap shot at a buck which had suddenly appeared.

Within 6 months, I had thrown in the towel and obtained hearing aids from the VA (Occupational Hazard of running Generators 24/7 for 13 months and living right alongside).

It can hit you in an instant, with no warning. Since the damage was done; I explained his need for greater caution, and left it at that.

He's that good of a guy.

I have just recently mounted a linear comp on my 20" 6.5 Grendel to try and redirect some of the concussion away from the other shooters on the line. Still waiting for the temps to get reasonable, and the lockdowns to ease. Today is the first day in about a month that the peak temp might get below 100.

Greg
Shit are you in Arizona? The lock downs are horse shit . Needs to stop.

Does anyone have any experience with suppressors and what is a good reliable brand? I would like to buy a couple of good ones. 1 for my 50, 1 for my 308, 1 for my 6.5 Creedmoor and also my 22lr and 22 wmr IF I order multiple ones do I have to pay $200 to the ATF for each one? Is there any good ones that can be used for multiple calibers effectively . I know the 50 will be for just the 50. Thanks in Advance.

I don't have any personal experience with big bore suppressors, but for your 30 cal and 6.5mm needs its hard to beat Thunderbeast Arms (aka TBAC). Unless you really want separate cans for each caliber, you can just get a 30cal can and use it on your 6.5 as well. I have their 30cal Ultra 9 CB and it sounds great on my 308s, 6.5 and 6mm rifles. TBAC also makes a really good rimfire can rated up to 5.7x28mm...which I have as well. That said, the Dead Air mask is another great option for rimfire. CGS makes great rifle cans as well; their Hyperion has a pretty unique baffle stack and is quiet as hell. Plus, if you follow NFA Review Channel on Patreon they'll give you 50% off MSRP.

I highly recommend jumping into the NFA world, its really not that hard and totally worth it.

I don't have any personal experience with big bore suppressors, but for your 30 cal and 6.5mm needs its hard to beat Thunderbeast Arms (aka TBAC). Unless you really want separate cans for each caliber, you can just get a 30cal can and use it on your 6.5 as well. I have their 30cal Ultra 9 CB and it sounds great on my 308s, 6.5 and 6mm rifles. TBAC also makes a really good rimfire can rated up to 5.7x28mm...which I have as well. That said, the Dead Air mask is another great option for rimfire. CGS makes great rifle cans as well; their Hyperion has a pretty unique baffle stack and is quiet as hell. Plus, if you follow NFA Review Channel on Patreon they'll give you 50% off MSRP.

I highly recommend jumping into the NFA world, its really not that hard and totally worth it.
Thank you very much . I appreciate your input. I will be checking out everything that you mentioned.

I was super disappointed when I first fired a Barrett 50BMG. I was expecting my arm to fall off but instead it felt like a 12ga turkey load. Impressive recoil reduction, just not the experience I was expecting. Lol

I was super disappointed when I first fired a Barrett 50BMG. I was expecting my arm to fall off but instead it felt like a 12ga turkey load. Impressive recoil reduction, just not the experience I was expecting. Lol
Well if its not enough recoil for you , remove the break and fire it. Lol