• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First time shooting pistol, tell me how i did.

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
So i went to the range the other day to shoot a pistol for my first time. I own a Springfield XDM .45, which i shot alot. My target was all ripped up. Then while i was in the rifle range shooting the target rifle, a guy asked me if i wanted to try his XDM 9mm. I got this:

Photoon2010-07-16at2202.jpg

I like the .45 better. I shot about 300 rounds through it, i only did one mag through the 9mm. Hows my group look? that group was shot at about 15 yards.

Re: First time shooting pistol, tell me how i did.

i shot pretty rapidly, tried to use proper follow up shots and not track. theres two little .22 holes off to the left, my girlfriend was shooting the same target on a different red square.

looks good. work on your trigger control and it should tighten up.

Good for your first time out. Handgun shooting is very difficult to master, and can be frustrating when you are just starting out.

What do you all recommend for improving my trigger control and tightening groups?

Dry fire with a small coin on your front sight post. Do it until the coin doesn't fall off...(it will be hard to accomplish with a striker fired pistol or a DA). Take snap caps to the range and mix them into your magazines with live ammo. Find the picture of the 'shooter's wheel' it will give you an idea of what your problems may be, its like a diagnostic analysis for your target.

I've been practicing wall drills and dime drills. I just mean is there anything to watch for while shooting that I may be doing wrong

nice vid on todd jarrett

Brian Enos "Beyond Fundamentals"

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Shooting-Fundamentals-Brian-Enos/dp/0962692506

Then go to work. Read it annually. Make notes in the margins. Understand that reading it once and working for a year - not everything in the book will reveal itself to you.

Strong pistol skills are directly transferable to the carbine and in many ways to SG as well. IMHO - if you can really run a pistol you have a major leg up on everything that goes bang.

Dry fire should include foot work and mag changes as well.

Good luck