• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time working a trigger myself.

KAman9803

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Hattiesburg, MS
Got the itch to try lightening up my trigger on my 10/22 today. I've never attempted anything like this so I was a bit nervous going in. Picked up some 600 and 1000 grit paper and a polishing wheel for the dremel and got to it. Polished the hell out of the hammer/sear contact points and took a little bit off the hammer. The reduction in weight is nice but the best thing is how smooth everything breaks now.

Before
dd792d42.jpg

After
4b6a4a5f.jpg

Re: First time working a trigger myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> NO FUCKING DREMEL. </div></div>

Whoa, calm down now. I would never use a dremel to grind off parts of my hammer. This was all done with very fine grit paper. The dremel was used to polish afterwards with one of the softer polishing wheels. I do plan on taking a stone to it, but this being my first time doing this I wasn't changing any angles to start off with.

No Frog - Just nearly 25 years at the bench, all day every day...

Triggers aren't rocket science, don't let a gunsmith b.s. you into thinking they are. An inexpensive rifle, like the 10/22, is a good place to start learning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdssert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Triggers aren't rocket science, don't let a gunsmith b.s. you into thinking they are. An inexpensive rifle, like the 10/22, is a good place to start learning. </div></div>

I agree.

I just more 10/22 hammers wrecked with than were improved with power tools, none on mine; I had advice I could wreck one.
The was a time you couldn't a new sear or hammer; it way a bigger to screw parts.

Best way to get an awesome trigger in a 10/22 is to sell your dremel and buy a Kidd group
wink.gif

Most all of my firearms get disassembled and inspected after running a couple hundred rounds through. I see where parts are rubbing against one another hard enough to leave swipe marks and lap them. I chamfer all the holes where pins pass through and use a Dremel with a felt bob and jeweler's rouge to polish pins and the stoned surfaces to a mirror finish. (I leave factory hammer/sear engagements ALONE!) Everything gets a thorough scrubbing in hot water with some Dawn and an old toothbrush. After blowing the parts dry I buff Tetra grease into them then reassemble.

Most actions smooth up dramatically and trigger pulls lose any grittiness or hitches. The reduced friction also means that lighter hammer springs can be used without compromising reliable function. Using this technique, I now have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero 45 Colt with a 12 ounce trigger that is as mechanically safe as the day it left the factory.

Sleepymonkey, you might consider getting some Wolff springs for that puppy and see if you can get the weight down a little further.

If you use a after market sear, really. Seems (I just the one) to on the sear and have to trim (is too high).
Work slowly, I don't remember what springs, but springs can change the a light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nathan11B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frog how simple is the 77/22 for adjust and or working ? </div></div>