• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First trigger purchase help.

rjz5400

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2019
Northern New Mexico
So I'm building what many would consider an entry level long range build. A budget SS Action, criterion remage, used krg bravo, ECT...

I've made most of my decisions besides glass and trigger. I'm waiting on glass and a couple other pricey bits because I'm not sure if I will even get into PRS or just shoot long range on my own and use it for the rare "any legal weapon" tag I might draw. And I have bipods and a "decent" scope to throw on and get going.

Here is where I need the help or opinion; I suspect I am going to end up wanting and buying a TT diamond because I hear such great things about them. BUT I have never had a trigger anywhere near that nice and I don't know if I even neeeeeeeeed it. With covid going on I can't just go to the range or local match and try out a bunch of triggers like I was planning.

So I know I have options
Buy any used trigger on the forum
Get a stock r700 trigger (I see those tuned already and cheap
Get an "entry level" flat trigger and see if I hate it.
Or bite the bullet and drop nearly 300 on a new triggertech diamond cause I think that's where it will end up.

I know everybody has an opinion here, and I am a bit hesitant to buy such a precision part of my rifle used anyway..

Obviously IDK

thoughts? Advise? Is it worth it?

I'll be shooting long for me (out in the desert or at match/range) in New Mexico
and hunting varmints all the way to big game (elk) eventually.

Triggers are such a personal thing. It's hard to tell someone what they'll like.

I've tried a few different triggers and what I have right now in all my rifles are Jewells. I've never had an issue with them. But I don't shoot in super dirty locations. I have a new rifle in the works and I've decided on a TriggerTech Diamond just to see what all the fuss is about. I've also tried a Timney Calvin Elite in the past, but didn't care for it.

If you can afford a nice trigger, go for it. TriggerTech is probably a solid choice.

A trigger tech
Bix and andy tacsport pro
Both r great
I dont no if you can use a trigger tech diamond an a action that doesn't have a side bolt release I might be wrong

I do, well I will have a side bolt release.

I know there are so many good triggers out there. They do seem to hold value fairly well. Should I just get a special flat TT and try it out?

Does anyone just HATE any of the nice aftermarket triggers? > $100 as long as it is single or 2 and flat or curved depending on preference. ??

A trigger tech
Bix and andy tacsport pro
Both r great
I dont no if you can use a trigger tech diamond an a action that doesn't have a side bolt release I might be wrong
Yea
Diamonds aren’t for regular 700.

I do, well I will have a side bolt release.

I know there are so many good triggers out there. They do seem to hold value fairly well. Should I just get a special flat TT and try it out?

Does anyone just HATE any of the nice aftermarket triggers? > $100 as long as it is single or 2 and flat or curved depending on preference. ??
Curved 2 stage for me thank you.
I absolutely love my Huber.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlepod
What ever aftermarket trigger you get will be awesome. I have timney, have had jewell and jard and have shot TT and Bix. They are all differnt but every one of em feel good. My least favorite is Timney and I STILL put one on my budget/loaner/backup 700.

Ok that's kinda what I thought, people do get pretty attached to one or the other brand and seem pretty set on it.

I am using the Mack Bros EVO action, r700 clone action. Trigger hanger designed for a trigger tech but "should work" with any drop in triggers for r700. I think they make shims or something to adjust engaement. The focus was for the triggertech as it is very popular.

Last edited:
It’s possible TT has new products that fit what was mentioned before. They just released their AR-10 Diamond, which I ordered, was waiting for it to come out. This is the regular site link. Disregard if not.

Trigger Tech Primary, doubt if you will be able to feel the difference between the low poundage settings for hunting and PRS type shooting

thanks for the thoughts. i'm gonna keep my eye open for a straight single stage and if it gets close to my action delivery ill just spring for a new primary TT.

Have you looked at the geissele 700? It's a great two stage. I'm running one on my delta 51 and it's great! Not to mention they are pretty competitive on the pricing.

Reactions: 6brshooter
i saw 250 on the pricing,

Im not too sure who i want to go with but it will definitely be a flat trigger single stage. thanks for the suggestion though, i hadn't seen it before.

Is there any worth to doing a trigger job on a factory r700 trigger? I've done quite a few fluff and buffs but I don't know anything about this trigger.

Any limitations or design/material issues that keep it from taking a lights short trigger job? Because that would prob be the cheapest $50 start and let me get out to do load development and hopefully try some other triggers along the way.

Models to avoid?

Older rem triggrrs can be tuned decently, but the newer triggers don't have much going for them. If you like single stage, tt or bix is hard to beat. If you like 2 stage, bix, giessele, and cg Jackson. Be forewarned, once you go 2 stage you will want to replace all your single stages...

Reactions: CaptNemo
Thanks for the warning I won't try any two stages. I don't like the vaugeries though.

I honestly don't get it. 1 stage is enough for me ...... Unless I'm wrong.

Thanks for the warning I won't try any two stages. I don't like the vaugeries though.

I honestly don't get it. 1 stage is enough for me ...... Unless I'm wrong.

There's not a vagueness to a 2 stage. They provide a lot of safety and still offer super crisp and light trigger breaks. 1.25 1st stage and 1lb 2nd stage ultra crisp, with no fear of running bolt too fast like single stages that are set up at the minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head
Meh, I say fuck 2 stage triggers.

I like to run my single stage trigger too fast (wtf?)
7B093D2E-DA7D-4F68-8358-8C7908DFA6AB.gif

Wow, that escalated quickly.

I guess I'm not sure if I would even feel the difference between that minimal creep and or overtravel. I do like a light *snap * though.

Im still keeping my eyes on the classifieds for a decent special ....... I've got a few weeks still

LOL, You haven't shot a light AI Comp Trigger then. Those things are the king's of vagueness.

IMO, The first stage on a 2-stage trigger is like having a boob on the middle of your back. And If you need it to be safe, you're using it as a crutch.

As to the Primary vs Special vs Diamond it's not just pull weight. The first two have a little bit of creep and overtravel to them that the Diamond doesn't have. The Diamond is very crisp.

Blah blah blah. Naw man I just use good 2 stage triggers, bix, giesselle, and aiae

Reactions: PAYDIRT
Blah blah blah. Naw man I just use good 2 stage triggers, bix, giesselle, and aiae
I completely agree. Lots of nice triggers out there but a Bix is compatible to "mall fine" so nice silky smooth, classy dressed and smells good too.

I was creeping on the 2 stage diamond thread thinking those were going to start showing up used,

but everything is used and same as retail like 250-280. maybe when they actually start shipping.

the virus has everything OOS and shipping slow so not much out there, to try

Another vote for TT primary. An 8oz trigger is an excellent way to shoot yourself or worse shoot somebody else. No bueno IMO except for benchrest or the like.

Another vote for the trigger tech but I’d go the special or primary for a hunting rig.

No, what youre thinking of is being a dumb ass and pointing a loaded rifle at someone.

Ahem. Well having been and anesthesiologist for 12 years at a trauma center I can assure you it’s possible to shoot yourself with a long gun. What if you’re at a match and lose your balance transitioning from FP to FP in a stage and bobble your rifle? Every guy I’ve ever seen shoot one was doing so to compensate for target panic anyhow.

Hence the sky-loading rule. I'm not an anesthesiologist, or a botanist, but I have run Sniper training programs for an SF Group. You just said a dumb thing, that's all. It's alright; it doesn't define you and we all do it from time to time. It'll buff out.

Who are you Todd Hodnett?

Do you teach your students to run 4-8oz triggers or lighter? Do you think such a setup is the best way to learn good trigger control? I always thought high stress situations and hair triggers were a bad combo so I’m surprised that would taught in SF circles. How do Mike Rescigno’s rifles shoot in the 0’s with a tuned factory 2.5# trigger? Also, have you never seen poor muzzle discipline at a match?

I may just be a rube civilian but it’s my .02. You may not have ever had a student have an accident, but this guy isn’t your student and believe it or not it DOES happen. Hair triggers increase that risk. Stupid mistake or freak accident, they were still just as shot. The OP was asking for trigger advice. All I’m saying is for his first build he may not want to spend the extra money on a trigger whose principal advantage is ultra light pull weight.

Love the two-stage trigger, always have. I started putting them on my bolt guns since brylee made the hangers for the Ancients trigger. When you get used to shooting anschutz, walther, feinwerkbau you get spoiled.

Currently running the timney 2-stage trigger. It's not a bad trigger for the money but I think it needs a little more work. The problem I have with it is that it feels cheap when the trigger is pulled. I think it has to do with the aluminum trigger... I prefer Steel. It would be nice if they had an adjustable trigger shoe fitted to a hanger instead of the trigger they've got.

One of the triggers I really like is the CG extreme. Very solid trigger, very well-built. I should have bought another one of these instead of the timony. ... just didn't have the money at the time.

David Tubb had a good trigger, if it's still available. Nice trigger, but I don't like it's open design. Probably not good for the professional or run and Gun matches.

Ahem. Well having been and anesthesiologist for 12 years at a trauma center I can assure you it’s possible to shoot yourself with a long gun. What if you’re at a match and lose your balance transitioning from FP to FP in a stage and bobble your rifle? Every guy I’ve ever seen shoot one was doing so to compensate for target panic anyhow.
Why are you transitioning with a loaded rifle?

Reactions: reubenski
Why are you transitioning with a loaded rifle?

Because unloaded gun is as useless as a spoon in a knife fight? I mean a fork I would understand but a spoon.

Edit, actually if somebody shows up to the fight with a spoon Just walk away cuz he's about the f*** some s*** up

phew as the OP ill just throw out there this isn't my first gun or first rifle, not my first bolt action and wont be my first "light" trigger.

all the way from boy scout shooting merit badge to shooting an elk with homemade bullets in my offset muzzleloader. if I had to guess id say my first shot in 6.5 creedmoor will be my 7001st shot. give or take. no where near many here but not brand newb either.

never been on the two way range though thats for sure. I guess there is nothing to it but to do it. ill keep creeping in the used gear places and if nothing comes up before my action ships ill probably take the advise to try a TT special or primary and go from there.

Because unloaded gun is as useless as a spoon in a knife fight? I mean a fork I would understand but a spoon.

Edit, actually if somebody shows up to the fight with a spoon Just walk away cuz he's about the f*** some s*** up

:p
I KNEW THE HODNETT COMMENT WOULD GET YOU!

I think that’s kind of my point. You have so many layers of safety in your environment that this or most shooters wouldn’t have. Thank you for your service BTW.

I should probably explain that I went down the rabbit hole of lighter triggers with archery back when I was a kid and all it did was cause problems I had to go back and correct. I would spare this fella that misery. He also seems to be budget conscious. I haven’t shot the diamond. I think the primary compares favorably my jewel triggers and the cost savings would purchase him a few goodies that he’ll need along the way.

I have transitioned with a loaded rifle by accident under time pressure during a match. Range officer helped me and the duration of danger was short. My trigger discipline was intact thankfully. I also happened to be in a squad where a guy was running a 2 oz. trigger. Watching this dude sweat when his finger approached the trigger was a real sight. Same match had a guy DQ’d for an AD of his pistol. There are no skills test to enter a match you know?

Did you just Man-splain my environment?, having no idea what 22yrs of military service is like during two wars and GWOT?

Ha ha, nah!!! I'm just fucking with you!

But seriously.... WTF...

Nah!!? Ha ha! Just joshing! LOL!

But seriously...

No sir.

Would not do that. I respect your experience and would not even pretend to swim in that water. I have no such common ground. I admire the men who’ve fought on my behalf. If I offend, my apologies. Not my intention. Would love to sit under the instruction of a person with your credentials.

I’ve shot since I was 5. I did grow up in Kentucky lol. I have just a few matches under my belt. Been building rifles for the last three years. I’m trying to convey that not everywhere there is gun powder burned is as tight an operation as you run, and I get nervous around guys who run very light triggers for poor reasons. It sounds like I’m not doing too hot at it though. All unrelated to the OPs question.

I will just leave it for the OP that I’ve been very satisfied with my TT primaries. They’re a good value. I have both the curved and flat shoes. Everyone I’ve installed them for has liked them. I’ve had good service out of my Jewels too but there is the concern about function when dirty. I haven’t encountered it as of yet. I don’t know if the TT diamond is head and shoulders above the Jewel or not. My finger shows very little preference. I am running a Timney on my 300 win mag that a friend gave me in exchange for some barrel work. Honestly they all seem quite good but I might skip on the Jewel if it’s to see lots of field use.

Last edited:
Meh, I say fuck 2 stage triggers.

I like to run my single stage trigger too fast (wtf?)
Reread what I posted, plenty of times single stages are set with not enough sear engagement. Run the bolt to fast and the cocking piece slips off top sear or at sear engagement. 2stage triggers have more sear engagement, because of the 1st stage.