• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First try at bullet pointing

Diabolus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2006
Southern California/Los Angeles
Tried my hand this evening at pointing some .308 175 SMKs in the Whidden system.

Could someone with experience critique my work?

I pointed the bullet, then used a Giraud to trim the meplat ever so slightly. Photo on the left is the trimmed, photo on the right is a factory.

IMG_0486.jpg

Re: First try at bullet pointing

I have zero experience with this but am curious how it affects your trajectory. Keep us posted!

A fellow at the gun club claims 2 MOA less come up at 600 yards for the ones he does on his 7mm. If thats true, I wonder why the bullet makers dont do it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why the bullet makers dont do it? </div></div>

Its another step on another machine. Most people are fine with the consistency of current match grade offerings so the companies do not need to perform this step to sell projectiles. It would also push up the cost. If the bullets are consistent, then it is all about the accuracy of your dope.

Josh

Please let us know your real world results down range vs. non-pointed. I’ve been considering this for some time.

PS
looks fine to me...

Diabolus,

Mind posting a side shot? That one is a little tighter than what I do. You want to avoid over doing it, which will show up as a bulge below the bottom of the point area.

You may wish to meplat trim first. Pointing will then help remove the flash left by trimming. You may wish to first sort by length if the OAL of the bullet varies by more than 0.005". Put about 100 in a box big enough to hold 500 .308 bullets, then shake vigorously for 2-3 minutes to remove the flash. Scratches on the sides of the bullets doing this don't seem to affect anything.

It's worth about an MOA at all distances. I've done .223, 6mm, 6.6mm, .308 and .338 bullets.

HTH,
DocB

+1 on DocB's comments. I've been pointing mine up for several years now (both sierra and Berger). For lots of bullets that are very uniform, I do not trim at all. For others that are pretty ragged, trim first then the pointing will eliminate the flash from the trim.

Jeffvn

DocB -

Took several shots, not easy to get a close up of bullets. What do you think of these?

Bullet on the left has been pointed, bullet on the right is factory new.

IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0487.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Its amazing how dramatic the new look is, but I think the effect is less than it would appear based on looks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have zero experience with this but am curious how it affects your trajectory. Keep us posted!

A fellow at the gun club claims 2 MOA less come up at 600 yards for the ones he does on his 7mm. If thats true, I wonder why the bullet makers dont do it? </div></div>

A foot, I would have to see that to believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wonder why the bullet makers dont do it? </div></div>
Hornady has a fairly new line of match bullets using their new AMP (advanced manufacturing process).
http://www.hornady.com/store/Match-newbullets
In the video @ 3:30, Joe Thielen from Hornady says in their new "AMP" line of match bullets, they are getting better meplat uniforming and are getting B C spreads of .01" to .011", which he says are unheard of. Don't know if that's just marketing hype.

I haven't used any of the new AMP's, but they might be worth a try.

I also use the Whidden system, and with my 140 VLD's out of a 260 at 2840 fps, I'm seeing right at 3/4 MOA less drop at 600 yards. I have also tipped my 130 grain VLD's, and noticed a greater increase in BC at 2984 fps. The 130 is running faster, therefore you have a higher gain in BC when tipping them, compared to a slower projectile. I now run the 130 VLD for this reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why the bullet makers dont do it? </div></div>

Its another step on another machine. Most people are fine with the consistency of current match grade offerings so the companies do not need to perform this step to sell projectiles. It would also push up the cost. If the bullets are consistent, then it is all about the accuracy of your dope.

Josh </div></div>

Obviously, it would add cost and additional processing. I was not suggesting they point bullets and sell for the same price. My suspicion is an industrial "pointing" machine would be more consistent than doing them by hand one by one, and it would add value.

Added value = higher price, which oftentimes, leads to more profit.

If its true that Hornadys new AMP bullets are pointed, I guess we'll see if it is in fact a prifitable exercise.

Diabolus,

Looks fine to me.

Have fun,
DocB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously, it would add cost and additional processing. I was not suggesting they point bullets and sell for the same price. My suspicion is an industrial "pointing" machine would be more consistent than doing them by hand one by one, and it would add value.

If its true that Hornadys new AMP bullets are pointed, I guess we'll see if it is in fact a prifitable exercise. </div></div>

I agree wholeheartedly Turbo. I just think that it would fall well beyond the point of diminishing returns for most companies. If they could get consistency like the new Hornady AMP listed above I believe you would see more companies do it.

As it stands, a lot of them are invested in legacy equipment that cost a ton and still do the job for 95% of shooters out there. Hornady is large enough they can invest in the new technology. Other bullet makers are not backed by such capital.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why the bullet makers dont do it? </div></div>

Josh </div></div>

Obviously, it would add cost and additional processing. I was not suggesting they point bullets and sell for the same price. My suspicion is an industrial "pointing" machine would be more consistent than doing them by hand one by one, and it would add value.</div></div>

My guess is that after being forced through at least 15 different dies in order to become a bullet, one more would not add significantly to the cost of manufacture. Maybe a penny a bullet--if that.

Mitch,

The biggest problem for a company to do them well is they would have to sort the bullets by OAL. 0.005" OAL variation doesn't sound like much until you start trying to point them consistently. Not may companies are willing or capable of producing a bullet with that level of out of the box consistency. Not many folks are willing to sort bullets to that level, either.

JMHO,
DocB

I have some of the new AMP 6mm 105's from hornady and they appear to have a pointing to them, as do my Lapua .224 77 Scenars, but the 90 and 105 6mm scenars do not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder why the bullet makers dont do it? </div></div>

Josh </div></div>

Obviously, it would add cost and additional processing. I was not suggesting they point bullets and sell for the same price. My suspicion is an industrial "pointing" machine would be more consistent than doing them by hand one by one, and it would add value.

If its true that Hornadys new AMP bullets are pointed, I guess we'll see if it is in fact a prifitable exercise. </div></div>

Bullets are already getting pretty spendy.

At some higher price point, the consumer is going to balk and buy something else. If 90% of Sierra's customers don't care about their jag-o-matic tips and/or pointing, why bother for that 10%?

The 10%ers are the ones who own bullet pointers.

Chris

I am using the Lapua 6.5 123 gr bullets that come in the plastic boxes and they are pointed. The 123's in cardboard boxes are not. I also have some 140gr Hornady Match bullets with the AMP jackets and they are definitely pointed. They also shoot great.

This picture was posted in bullet pointing group buy thread. The dealer running the group buy says it will increase your bullet BC by 9-12% on average.

3.jpg