• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Looking for any input on the FN 5.7. Good bad or otherwise.
    I took a new one in trade and would like to know about the expirence of others.
    Thank you in advance for your expirences.
    RTH

Re: FiveseveN

Very nice little guns and deadly accurate. Only bad part is the price of ammo right now. Its dried up.

Rumor has it Federal is supposed to be coming out with a 5.6x28mm of their own which would be great.

I really like it, it is on my (fairly short) list of guns to get. I was actually going to buy one last month and ended up ordering another 1911. I did a ton of research on the gun and found everything very positive. There is a myth and it is a myth that the gun will fire out of battery. A few dipshits blew up their guns with bad handloads and didn't man up causing rumors. There are basically 2 generations of the gun with the only difference being the trigger guard. The first ones had an ugly bubble shape to them.
    You will find there are some haters of the gun out there. Some people and they will chime in here, have a strong dislike for the 5.7 round. Why? I haven't figured that out quiet yet. So odds are this thread will turn into another ballistic debate.
    The Fiveseven pistol is very well built, steel slide with polymere coating to lighten it up, recoil is, weird for lack of a better word. It's kinda creepy, the gun is loud, there is a muzzle flash slide cycles but there is a lack of felt recoil that typically accompanies these things. Sadly I was only about to fire 10 rounds at about 7 yards so I really couldn't comment on it's accuracy, from what little time I had on the trigger it sold me into buying one (down the line). It is unique, a lot of fun and those two things are enough sometimes. The disign is very cool and I really like the trigger. Quality is high as is everything else made by FN.
    I give it a big ol thumbs up. A few warnings, on this gun.

1. The 5.7x28mm sucks royal with cheese to reload, no fun and not worth even attempting, The gun does not like reloads and a few have been blown up by people trying to reload for it. Besides the brass is paper thin and barely holds up to a single reload.
    2. There is a heavy nerd following of the fiveseven and PS90 do to some science fiction tv shows that feature the weapons, get ready to talk guns with comic-con dorks.
    3. as I said earlier, there are some real teeth gritting 5.7x28mm haters out there so get ready for some ballistic debates and always having to defend the round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Asked and answered 20X over. Search bar. </div></div>

As if the sidearm section is so blazing with interesting posts right now that we need to police it.

I used to not participate in these, but since I bought a five seven, I have been doing my best at educating people. people are thick headed, so I can't always make them believers, but I still like to chime in... so here it goes

It's no rumor AE will have it in their 2013 catalog

r_1127_09708_FED57281.jpeg

1127_05101_FEDE5728.jpeg

there are some videos on YT from people shooting it. seems like a performer. it's little slow (1600 fps I think?) but for plinking, that's totally fine with me. it will still go a very good distance.

I honestly think they slowed it down because if it goes 100-200 more fps faster, it would penetrate IIIa vest. there is a video of one penetrating like 20 layers of one. it doens't need more to go through it. then you know how the media will turn it around and say AE ammo is making armor piercing bullets for the five seven pistol LOL

it's my favorite pistol to shoot... (out of several that I have, including a Mk23)

yes, it's no 9mm at 11 bucks a box. the LE only ammo (SS198LF) that's close to me to purchase (an hour away) costs 28 bucks....
    frown.gif

supposedly this AE ammo will be just under 20 bucks. right now few places had them for about 20-23 bucks. I see bunch of websites have it up with 'out of stock' at 18.99... that's supposed to be the going rate for them.

I hope next year, it will be within couple bucks of .45

but yeah, it's my favorite pistol that I own, and SO much fun to shoot. it's so awesome dumping a magazine to a head size target at 10 yards!

there are some 'exotic' ammo you can get that are awesome. it will penetrate a vest, but upon hitting flesh, they will tumble, break into pieces and create havoc inside the body.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me its novelty round. There is no real use for the 5.7x28 </div></div>

meh, no use for .357 sig either, or .45GAP

they still perform though.

CKA used to have one, shooting it was fun, no recoil, and accurate as hell, it's a rifle in pistol skin, we used to hit a 12inch steel plate at 300 yards pretty easily with no wind, I would like to have one.

Sgt 0811,

Great post and I agree. Thanks for setting folks straight. I will add, the most notorious "KaBoom" that was plastered on a myriad forums several years ago was a proven double-charge. Yeah, it blew up in his hands, but how many firerarms can take a double-charge?

BTW rth1800, I have one and it's a hoot to shoot and a great firearm! You might do a search here - there are several rather LENGTHY posts on the 5.7. Many comments were made by internet commandos that "heard this and that", but had no first-hand experience with one. The most common complaints are ammo cost and the grip texture. What the others ^ ^ ^ said, and good news on AE manufactured ammo.

Kevin

At first I thought, "who wants another 22 magnum?"

Then I thought, "well if it was accurate and functioned, maybe it's a good idea."

It fills a role for some folks and I'm glad. Especially in the accuracy department. I'm a huge fan of accurate pistols and if this gun turns some so-so pistol shooters into great pistol shooters, I'm all for it.

It definitely has it's place and I don't think it'll go away.

I daily carry one... I love it!

20+1 and the ability to defeat lvl IIIa in a package lighter than a G19..

oh ya!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I daily carry one... I love it!

20+1 and <span style="font-weight: bold">the ability to defeat lvl IIIa</span> in a package lighter than a G19..

oh ya! </div></div>

With commercially available ammo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I daily carry one... I love it!

20+1 and <span style="font-weight: bold">the ability to defeat lvl IIIa</span> in a package lighter than a G19..

oh ya! </div></div>

With commercially available ammo? </div></div>

SS192 and SS198 will go thru lvl IIIa..

and most of the listings from elite amunition will go thru..

if you get your hands on ss190 like it did, it will penetrate 3 lvl lIIa stacked on top of eachother.

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13233&hilit=buffman

Thanks for the heads up on the AE ammo. I'll be stocking up.

SS192 is the same ballisticly as SS195, SS195 having lead-free primers is the only difference

I believe 195 comes in white and blue box versions. The blue box being somewhat slower..

Just sayin

I bought one several years ago just to hare-lip Pelosilly, Chuck-U and Boxer. It's a lot of fun to shoot, has more accuracy than I can exploit, and very mild recoil.

I keep mine loaded with Elite Ammo's (discontinued) Velociraptor S4s, which is based on the 40-gr Hornady V-Max, driven to mid-1800 fps. With 20 rounds and a Streamlight TLR-2, it weighs 2 lbs on the nose. The round gets a lot of static but I can fair guarantee you that if you get shot with that load, you're not going to walk it off. I keep FN ammo for plinking but I stockpiled a while back when it could be bought in bulk for 25¢ a round.

But it's too expensive. What use I have for it doesn't justify how much I paid to get it. If I had it to do over again, I'd have spent the same money on another EBR, or at least the parts for building one.

I sold mine over a year ago and still regret it. My PS90 is sooo lonely now.
    federal bringing more 5,7 ammo on the market is a great news.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweetbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I daily carry one... I love it!

oh ya! </div></div>

With commercially available ammo? </div></div>

SS192 and SS198 will go thru lvl IIIa..

and most of the listings from elite amunition will go thru..

if you get your hands on ss190 like it did, it will penetrate 3 lvl lIIa stacked on top of eachother.

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13233&hilit=buffman </div></div>

umm... in the link you provide, they both FAIL to penetrate a IIIa... so wtf are you talking about?

only thing that might is a S4M and T6 from EA. off the shelf does not.