• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fix for ring marks?

L

LeagleII

I have a March scope that I had in Talley rings. When I removed them recently there were the worst ring marks I'd ever seen. On the bottom of the scope I can see bare metal. Anything I can do to fix it. Can I or should I have it cerrocoated? Scope functions fine. I'm not blaming the Talleys. They have a good reputation. I suspect I screwed up somewhere.

This is very common with rings that are not lapped. Not your fault. Cerakote is an option. "Shortbus" here on the hide does excellent paint work and may be able to help you out. pm me if you need more info.

Regards, Paul

Bummer. For scuffs and light marks from rings a Magic Eraser will sometimes do the trick. Just moisten the sponge and gently scrub. But a Magic Eraser aint gone do squat if bare metal is in the house.

The best way to prevent ring marks:

1.) Don't mount your scope
2.) Buy top quality rings or mounts
3.) Have the rings lapped
4.) Be sure to not over-torque the ring/mount screws and tighten them evenly.

As long as you haven't damaged the tube itself, you'll be okay. If the marks bother you that much then have it (scope) Cerakoted and you'll be golden.

I use Birchwood Casey Alumablack for covering small dings in black-finished aluminum.
It works on steel, too.

It does not finish up deep black like anodizing or Duracoating but it will mask small problem areas.

And then there's always a Sharpie.

Joe

Ring marks!!! arghhhhh!!! I think there were some posts a year or so ago about this. Something about anus oil to prevent the marks.
boshine

Fix #1: Stop taking the scope out of the rings.
Fix #2: Put the scope back in the rings, which will cover the marks and reduce your sense of panic.
Fix #3: Krylon, which should be applied even if you don't have ring marks to cover up.

If none of these are working for you, lower your estrogen dosage.

Reactions: Arevalosocom
Ring marks!!! arghhhhh!!! I think there were some posts a year or so ago about this. Something about anus oil to prevent the marks.
boshine

That's pure gold, good sir!

cerakote is great, rustOleum is quicker.

I kinda remember reading that cerakote C series(that's the air cure kind for optics) takes weeks to cure.....Don't quote me on that

Good rings seem to be better about this problem. Anus oil, that is a new one, lol. A small fine jewelers file to chamfer the edge of the rings ect. can be good for this also.

krylon, cerakote and others coatings are used all the time to cover up "scratches" and marks etc, in fact a little JB to fill in "deep" gouges and them a good surface coat is a common way to prepare firearms for resale (those that have damage that would take away from their value-more than the cost of coating).

I use Birchwood Casey Alumablack for covering small dings in black-finished aluminum.
It works on steel, too.

It does not finish up deep black like anodizing or Duracoating but it will mask small problem areas.

And then there's always a Sharpie.

Joe

The humble Sharpe is my weapon of choice. Degrease the offending area with acetone and go at it with the pen. I have bought many used scopes with ring marks and do not get that torqued about it. I try to remember the words of Alan Ladd..... "A gun is a tool."

But I still hate that first scratch or ding on my rifle or scope.

This is very common with rings that are not lapped. Not your fault. Cerakote is an option. "Shortbus" here on the hide does excellent paint work and may be able to help you out. pm me if you need more info.

Regards, Paul
The worst set of ring marks I've ever encountered was from a set of badger rings that were properly lapped. Never gotten ring marks from unlapped badgers. I don't lap anymore.

Ring marks in no way hurt a scopes function, but if you ever resell they do make it harder and cost you money. No matter how much guys like to seem like a hard ass and act like ring marks don't bother them, losing money sucks.period.