• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing fixed 10x scope on all a round hunting rig?

SAKOstalker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2004
USA
im weighing the thought of putting a fixed 10x42 PMII on my main hunting rig. ANyone have a fixed 10x on theirs? feedback?

Re: fixed 10x scope on all a round hunting rig?

bearhunt2010016.jpg

Thats what I run on this GAP Nontyical .308.....works really well for me.

I ran the super snipers, fixed ten on everythign i had, exceept a varmint rifle for a long time. until i have been swapping for better glass here and there. they have always worked. Good way to learn mil dot ranging to.

Depending on your hunting and terrain type, my opinion is that you'd be happier with a lower magnification. I have various fixed powers from 4x to 10x and variables ranging from 1x to 24x.

Most of my hunting kills on deer and coyotes end up happening at 4-6x because of limited sight-range and quicker target acquisition with the larger field of view.

That said, for prairie dogs the scopes are almost always cranked all the way up. Pigs are usually in between.

So, what type of hunting do you do?

mainly deer, pigs, yotes, or other bigger game

The type of terrain make more of a difference than the critter. Out west I would hunt deer, pigs, yotes, or other bigger game with a fixed 10X, but when I lived in MS for a year most of my hunting was done with the scope on 4x. I was hunting in thick dense trees, where you could only see 30-50yrds max.

Sako,

Haven't I talked you into the PM II 10x42 yet?? (300MAG from the campfire)

I would go with a variable with a low end between 2 and 4 and a top end between 8 and 15 depending on how far you are shooting. If you are in the thick stuff you will realy appreciate the lower magnification and the higher magnification for longer range work. IMHO

10x is to high in low light conditions dawn, dusk. At 3x i get about another 30 min of light.You would be happier with a lower power setting.Just some food for thought

I have a SS 10X on my .308 and I use it for situations where I know I won't be getting close. If I know I'll be in thick forest or short range situations, I take my lever gun with irons. It all just depends on the terrain you're hunting.

I plan on building a .223 with a htg and S&B pmII 10x fixed one day for the yotes.

In addition to being fixed 10x, the S&B has parallax setting fixed for 300m, IIRC.

This somewhat affects the focus also, so I wouldn't like to take a precise 50m/50y shot with the S&B. 100y should be fine, although the image may not be the crispiest.

I don't own a 10x S&B so the above is based on my experience with other scopes, variable S&Bs including.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAKOstalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im weighing the thought of putting a fixed 10x42 PMII on my main hunting rig. ANyone have a fixed 10x on theirs? feedback?</div></div>
It matters on how far your normal shots are taken from? - one hundred yards and above I would not have an issue with a 10X fixed but if you happen to have that less than 100 yarder the animal better not be moving because you will lose them quickly in your scope. I personally have 3 x 10's on my hunting rifles. I like the ability to start low and work my way up the magnification scale.

for my hunting irons or 3-9 set to 4 works best. if you are in a thicket you will literally have trouble seeing the forest for all the trees with anything more than maybe 6 power, and forget about movers with a 10x any closer than 100 yards. however i could see setting up on a beanfield with a fixed 10 where theres very little "visual clutter" to contend with.

There's a good reason why the most common hunting scope is a 3X-9X variable. It works better.

The lower power provides a wider field of bview, allowing faster target acquisition. The higher power provides the option to refine the aim point if and when time permits.

Take full advantage of the increased capabilities that modern optics can provide.

Greg

300 RUM fixed 10x, 454 Casull Super Redhawk,Too close for long gun. Use your sidearm. But this seems to be a dead art.Jeff Cooper forgive us.
Scot

I tried a fixed 10x MilDot last year, and it just didn't work here in NC - which is similar to what you have in GA. I wound up with a 2 - 7x and a 4 - 12x on my hunting rigs. I can set them low enough for quick shots in the brush and still dial up for the bean fields.

But if you're lazy like me you can set up a lawn chair at the edge of a field with a 10x fixed and drink tea and eat pizza and not worry about scent control.
laugh.gif

The SB 10x PM II is an excellent scope.

I regularly use a fixed 10x for hunting at all ranges.

I took a buck last year at 97 yards with a fixed 10x Mil dot rifle scope - on my pistol.

I have an old 10x Zeiss Diatal on a 25-06. I think it makes a great antelope and coyote setup, shots are usually 300yd+ in wide open areas. Hunting the mountains is a different story. JMHO

I'm a fixed 10 man all the way, if needed you can mount a super sweet side saddle doctor optic or equivalent for the close range zombie boars that try and raid your tree stand

I'm a fixed glass fan,but not a 10x for a utility Game Rifle.

IN the past, I used my 10x Bushnell on a .308 without issue. That's in the woods and swamps of S Alabama and North Florida, too. The 10x scope works for almost anything I need it for, and if they're too close, the .357 or .44 pistol can handle it. Bear in mind, it's not optimal, but you can make it work.

This one was pretty close. He walked.
hunting027.jpg

the last two years I used a 20" Remington LTR .308 with a fixed 10x.i had no trouble with short shots <100. also had no trouble (scope related) with longer shots (out to 375) ended up having to take a finish shot on an animal that another hunter wounded at about 265m(he was using a 7 mag and threw the shot on his last round of ammo), however i am in Eastern Montana so heavy trees, brush are not a problem, more rocks and Sagebrush, I have had to pass on shots under 50M and some over 200 due to to much/ not enough magnification. i ended up taking a slide down a cliff last fall and messed up my scope's erector assy. So this year i will be out with a 3-9. i THINK Scope mag is another of those INDIVIDUAL preference things that what works for one may not work for another. My FIL hunts frequently with a 7MM with a fixed 4 on it and i do NOT want that man coming after me unless i can keep him at least 600M away. He is truly impressive(at least to me) with a standard hunting/sporter rifle. he pulls groups at 100m standing that I am wishing I could do prone. his only weakness is judging distance past 300 (refuses to use a range finder)
Good luck on your search for the right glass
Kevin

My Rem PSS .308 carries a SS 10X and I've successfully brought home venison from PA to MD in woods and across bean fields. Like said before I guess not optimum I really didn't feel handicapped. None of the deer complained.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vanilla Gorilla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IN the past, I used my 10x Bushnell on a .308 without issue. That's in the woods and swamps of S Alabama and North Florida, too. The 10x scope works for almost anything I need it for, and if they're too close, the .357 or .44 pistol can handle it. Bear in mind, it's not optimal, but you can make it work.

This one was pretty close. He walked.
hunting027.jpg
</div></div>

I'm a poor source of info,regarding the nuances of sluicing Does out of a treehouse and would concede that scope selection there,would be very nearly moot.

Having killed more than a few things in more taxing topography/vegetation,I know that a fixed 10x is a concession...if only because I've done it a bunch.

SquealerBuck.jpg

Nah. I'm skipping the penis-measuring contest with some dude who essentially agrees with what I said, but feels the need to waggle a little bit while doing it.

My kills tend to be more along the lines of rock-throwing distance, and with considerably shorter firearms, so I'll let FeshKills have the floor for this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the last two years I used a 20" Remington LTR .308 with a fixed 10x.i had no trouble with short shots <100. also had no trouble (scope related) with longer shots (out to 375) ended up having to take a finish shot on an animal that another hunter wounded at about 265m(he was using a 7 mag and threw the shot on his last round of ammo), however i am in Eastern Montana so heavy trees, brush are not a problem, more rocks and Sagebrush, I have had to pass on shots under 50M and some over 200 due to to much/ not enough magnification. i ended up taking a slide down a cliff last fall and messed up my scope's erector assy. So this year i will be out with a 3-9. i THINK Scope mag is another of those INDIVIDUAL preference things that what works for one may not work for another. My FIL hunts frequently with a 7MM with a fixed 4 on it and i do NOT want that man coming after me unless i can keep him at least 600M away. He is truly impressive(at least to me) with a standard hunting/sporter rifle. he pulls groups at 100m standing that I am wishing I could do prone. his only weakness is judging distance past 300 (refuses to use a range finder)
Good luck on your search for the right glass
Kevin </div></div>Living in the same state as Kevin: No problems here using a 10X

why would shots over 200m be a problem wit h10x

My Rem PSS .308 carries a SS 10X and I've successfully brought home venison from PA to MD in woods and across bean fields. Like said before I guess not optimum I really didn't feel handicapped. None of the deer complained.
I know this thread is 10 years old but I agree. Just took my first deer at 35 yds with a SS 10x. Did the job, though closer than 20 yds would’ve had a problem. My two cents.