• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed power scopes

Marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
Michigan
I see that most mil-dot fixed scopes are 10x but a few companies offer fixed powers of 16 and 20 as well. Is there any down side to these higher power scopes at ranges under 200 yards?

Re: Fixed power scopes

Field of view and mirage. I'd suggest a variable if you need up to 20x at times.

I do plenty of target shooting at 100-200, and occasionally hunt out to 500. Maybe I should be considering a variable with FFP.

I'd choose your magnification based on the closest possible living/moving target you might be engaging.

You are gonna have a hard time picking up a deer at a fast trot at fifty yards with a 10x--the scopes field of view is gonna be way too small. Unless the deer is walking in a wide open area or something.

If the closest thing you might be shooting is a coyote or groundhog at 200 yards, 10x works fine.

For hunting I have a fixed 4 and a fixed 6. For target shooting I'd say a fixed 10X is the way to go. Fixed 15 to 20 and you end up with less eye relief and a smaller field of view, anything less than 10X and it starts to become "too little" magnification. 10X is a good in between.

Also you will have no problem selling a fixed 10X tactical scope whereas the higher power fixed ones have a very small selective market.