• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Fixed vs variable advice

gatorglockman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Alabama, US
I have read the stickies, done my searches and I really appreciate the open knowledge that has been shared here.

Still, I am stuck. I have a Savage 10FP .308 that I am finishing and I need to upgrade from the crap scope I wasted money on to start. I want to shoot a local match that does targets from 50 yds to 550 yds and I will be shooting prone.

My question: Fixed vs variable scopes. Those that shoot fixed...can you tell me why/what you see as the advantage? I am starting to lock my decision and it prob comes down to a 10x vs 16x..anyone have advice which should I go for? I am leaning towards 16x.

Two models that are the most intriguing to me are the SS 10x or 16x (not the HD version) and the Sightron equivalents. Both of these have high marks from board members and are in my price range.

Any guidance or insight would be appreciated. If you think I should go with variable, more power, diff brand, etc....please sound off too. Thx gents!

Re: Fixed vs variable advice

Well one nice thing with a fixed 6 or 10 power, which should be enough, is you could purchase one with a Mil-Dot reticle and learn your holdover for each distance.You don't have to worry whether your magnification is set where your mils are accurate. In these local shoots are there multiple engagements at the same time? Or timed circuits? That's when a fixed power really shines. Less thinking, just learn to shoot it and you're good for anything. Especially at 500 yards or less. The only problem you'll find is the target will be HUGE at 50 yards with a 10x scope. Im seriously considering a 1-4x Trijicon for much the same shooting distances with multiple engagements. Best of luck.

Agree with the problem shooting @ 50 yards with a 10X scope. I bought a NF-4X24 NXS for my AR but only shoot to 300 yards. For your shooting I'd get a NF 2.5-10X32 NXS or it's equivilent.

i like variable for times when you need / want more or less magnification, you have it. love a 4-16 ish range. just becuase it says variable, doesn't mean you always have to change magnification.

fixed is nice too, less moving parts to break or damage, but doesn't leave you with the options of a variable.

going from 50 to 550, i'd incorporate a focusable objective either front or side adjustable.

change rimfire to centerfire, same thoughts:
Thoughts on picking a scope for a rimfire.

Of the 2 mentioned the 10x would be my choice.Sometimes the field of view is too small for certain stages at 16X and also if the mirage is bad 16X can be too much magnification.

I sold all my fixed power scopes long ago.The variables are much more versatile.

I'd say to save some more money and buy a used Bushnell 3-12x42 FFP.They can be had for around $500 and are a great scope with few faults.One of the things you will appreciate in the near future is matching turrets and reticle.

If you can only spend 2-300bucks on a scope I would get the bushnell fixed 10x or the super sniper 10x. After that I would probably splurge for a FFP milmil 6-24 pst.

What price range are you looking for?

I really like the mag range on the bushnell elite tac 2.5-16x42, but have read mixed reviews on them. I have had 4-16x and 4-14x and like both, but it will probably depend on the targets you will be shooting at. Are there multiple targets per stage at different ranges, or will you be shooting at one known distance at one target at a time. If the latter you should be fine with a 10x, if you have multiple distance targets to aquire in a time frame I would go with a variable. The 3-12x42 mentioned above would also be nice, and there are a lot of 2.5-10x and 3-10x scopes, not to mention tons of 3-9x (like the super sniper 3-9x variable!!). Just make sure to get something repeatable and dependable if you will be racking the knobs a lot.

Thx gents. For the match I mentioned it is 4 shots each at 50, 100 300, 380, 440 550.

Keep the feedback coming.

One after another shot? Or 4 at a time and you wait your turn for the next target? Is there a time limit?

5 minutes for the whole course? What is it?

What is your budget?

We gotta know those things to help you out
smile.gif

MAaybe a millett trs-1 will work for you, or a falcon ffp. Both same price range

30 minutes for 25 shots.

My budget: $300 min/$850 max however I don't want to go max if I can find a good solution such as the fixed power deal.

If I do go to my max, my heart is on a Sightron variable SIII....which makes the fixed question mute based on the groups comments.

30 mins 25 shots?

I say variable. Falcon ffp might work out good for ya.

I exceeded my budget with the scope by double, but it was a good deal so I took it.

850 is a decent amount typo start off with I say

$300 - $850 includes a whole bunch of manufacturers and models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gatorglockman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thx gents. For the match I mentioned it is 4 shots each at 50, 100 300, 380, 440 550.
Keep the feedback coming.</div></div>

since you know your ranges, even a mildot or any of the other rangefinding type reticle scopes may not be neccessary and a target dot type reticle could do you well, opening the door to yet more manufacturers and models.

other manufacturers / models you may want to look at are millet trs, hawke sidewinder, nikon buckmaster or monarchs, weaver tactical-super slam-grand slam models, various vortex models, falcon models, even look at a wotach.

most of these are within the lower to mid price of your budget, have a good reputation, and meets the needs for form fit and function for what you are trying to do.

Thx!

I did do search function on Millet and also did some review of online data/feedback on the TRS-1. Same price range as the SWFA SS. Some lovers/some haters...which is confusing. I did read many equate the same glass quality to the SS. Millet fans/haters flame on if you care to, I am learning.

My learnings from the group so far:

1. Variable vs Fixed is the general guidance...which I admit was contrary to what I thought would be said.
2. Lots of great products in my price point. I want a 30mm tube vs 1" and I want a tactical model vs target. On this build, I am looking more toward budget and to get into this type of shooting game. I want to stud out my next build with top shelf and use this weapon as my learning curve if that makes sense.

everyone will have a love / hate relationship with particular optics, just like asking which is better, chevy or ford.

now you have at least narrowed down to a non target style model with a 30mm tube, which will help filter a choice even more.

as "tactical" scopes go, it's tough to beat a mildot reticle, and as far as your matches go, the ranging aspects become not as important as you have known ranges. this is where the mildots and variable power may come into play as a time saving advantage - if it's a SFP optic, using a mildot or two holdover / under on a higher or lower magnification at a particular distance may fall right into place without having to crank turrets. the mildots will also help with holding off wind drift on those further targets in a timely fashion.

forgot to mention burris too.
http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-Fullfield-TAC-30-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12602.aspx

most of the falcon menace line fits into your budget
http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-Riflescopes-C3324.aspx

as does the hawke
http://swfa.com/Hawke-Sidewinder-Tactical-30-Riflescopes-C2859.aspx

don't just restrict yourself to scopes that has "tactical" in the model name:
http://swfa.com/Millett-Buck-Gold-Riflescopes-C1165.aspx

and the list goes on, you just have to use some google fu to narrow it down even further.

30mm tube mildot product searches
http://www.natchezss.com/optics.cfm?cont...&startRow=1

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/30+mm+mil+dot+scope/

THX Top! Much appreciated guidance and effort in the feedback
wink.gif

I think I am ready to pull the trigger but want a day to sleep on it. At the price point on my lower end, I am not going to get too goofy on obsessing.

Once I get this and the stock upgrade done, it will be time to get my "Tresmon" precision reloading game on vs the bulk slop I am used to doing in .223 for basic target.

This is a great website. The knowledge and sharing is top shelf.

Variable. Most of the time mine is on the max (14x) but there are times when its nice to have a wider field of view.

Fixed can provide better image quality and may perform better in low light, but for < 100 yards anything above 6x is too much for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gatorglockman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THX Top! Much appreciated guidance and effort in the feedback
wink.gif

I think I am ready to pull the trigger but want a day to sleep on it. At the price point on my lower end, I am not going to get too goofy on obsessing.

Once I get this and the stock upgrade done, it will be time to get my "Tresmon" precision reloading game on vs the bulk slop I am used to doing in .223 for basic target.

This is a great website. The knowledge and sharing is top shelf. </div></div>

What have you decided on? I think this

Low budget - bushnell 3200 for 150-200 bucks
Mid budget - millet TRS-1 for 300
High budget - weaver tactical ffp for 750

Just my opinion. After that, anything will be over budget for you, and you are going into higher end scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can only spend 2-300bucks on a scope I would get the bushnell fixed 10x or the super sniper 10x. After that I would probably splurge for a FFP milmil 6-24 pst.

</div></div>
sound advise

be advised that the millet is very heavy. its glass it comparable to the ss, turrets were not as positive as the ss.
Might look at the wotac 4-14x50 instead of the millet 4-16x50. I have a 5th gen wotac and it tracks true and glass is a touch better (brightness and clarity) than the millet. You may or may not like the reticle in it, I like it for my purposes, but you may not. And, although I have not had to use it, I hear the CS is top notch.

If I had to choose between a 10x or 16x I would go with the 10x every time. Higher magnification scopes seem to be great for paper punching but little else. Even shooting at 1200 yards I never took my night force above 14x. Laying out in the sun in the heat of the day 22x looks like shit. I'd rather have a nice clear picture. JMO

I would not feel uncomfortable with a variable. Some of the uncertainties expressed here about which power choice would become a moot point with a decent variable.

Moreover, while long shots at high magnification can get mucked up by mirage, the variable allows those higher mags to be used at shorter distances, allowing better resolution for a good POA. Long shots can get dialed down, and the power can fit the application.

Likewise, when acquiring targets on the run, setting the scope for the lowest mag allows quick acquisition, and if needed, snap shots; while the luxury of more time allows the image to be dialed in at higher mags.

Modern variable designs appear, at least to me, to have resolved older issues that might once have rightfully discouraged their choice.

Greg

Well boys, I went with the Millett TRS-1 4-16X. I ordered it today...should have it by next week. I appreciate the excellent advice that many afforded.

Based on where I am in learning this game I think this is a perfect compliment to my Savage and my skill level. The scoop/poop on this and other sites makes me feel I will be happy. Besides it does save me money to get the other components I need to do this right (more reloading equipment, a new stock and a spotting scope).

I have a SS10x. It's great, but I find myself wanting a little more or less magnification at times. I'm going to get a PST 4-16 mil/mil. Matching knobs appeal to me. I use this rifle for hunting and long range shooting, and 10x, to me, seems like too much for hunting whitetail at less than 100 yards, usually around 50-60 yards. So with that, I'll probably be getting rid of my SS some time.

Got the Millett in today and damn if the reticle is not canted left...bummer. Crap QC and bad move as now they have lost my biz permanently.

Back to the vendor it goes for a full refund. I guess I will keep counting pennies and save for that Sightron I wanted.....I am pretty bummed and PO'd.