• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing FL Hog 319 yd Mover 338LM

Ulv61

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2010
TN
I wanted to share the results from yesterday's hunt. The plan was to ride the buggy around quietly and use it as a platform to see and shoot as long as possible. The hogs weren't moving and it took us a long time to actually see one. When we did, it was only about 200 yards away. We started the buggy, trying to see if the hog would move to the next pasture, and then we could ambush it from the other side, roughly a 700-750 yard shot. Man, was I excited.

The hog was moving along the edge of a palmetto patch, and started heading to the open pasture. It paused briefly, looked towards us and started running full speed across the clearing. They normally don't do this, and we saw that it was going to get to the thick woods on the other side before we could maneuver for the long shot. So I dialed for 300 yards and waited to see the hog pass through what I estimated was that range. When I saw the hog at my designated point, it was quartering away from us, and still running at full speed. I took the shot (led about 3 feet) and I saw the hog spin to the left and fall down. Right then I heard the SMACK of the SMK hitting it hard! The hog tried to get up, but just fell on its other flank. It never moved again. I lasered it at 319 yards. We called it a day as the heat was starting to become unbearable and rain loomed.

We did a little postmortem while we skinned and quartered it. The entry wound on the left flank was caliber sized, slightly caudal to the diaphragm, dorsal to the midline. The exit wound was tennis ball sized, through the ribcage, slightly cranial to the diaphragm, dorsal to the midline. The bullet path crossed the spleen, pancreas, inferior vena cava, liver and right lung. The damage to the liver and lungs was impressive, with profuse bleeding that lead to the quick onset of death.

Overall, I was disappointed about not getting a long shot, and when I did take a shot at the 319 yard mover, I didn't lead enough and hit too far back. The positives were I got to test the terminal ballistics of the 300 SMK (favorably impressed, compensated for poor shot placement), and I got the Lapua's first kill.

Now for some pics:

IMG_3324.jpg

Hog as we found it. That is the exit wound, a little bit of duodenum hanging out. The bloody grass is where it first fell, and tried to get up, falling over to the position in the pic.

IMG_3325.jpg

Close up of exit wound.

IMG_3327.jpg

I'm the one with the hat... LOL. He almost made it to the thick stuff on the right of the pic.

IMG_3333.jpg

Exit wound at skinning.

Re: FL Hog 319 yd Mover 338LM

Richieraby: Thanks! I'm not too proud about the shot placement, but these things are invasive and need controlling, so every kill helps. Also, the hog died in a matter of seconds, so still pretty humane.

Hansonian: Thank you for the compliment. I noticed your location is Tampa, I'm in the Orlando/Sanford area. Do you go shooting at Manatee? Do you do any hunting here in FL? I've been trying to set up long range shots on hogs, but it's pretty hard down here.

PGS: Thank you, Sir. I actually have read and looked (drooled) at the pictures of all kinds of game on your posts, and that gave me confidence when picking the SMK for my 338 LM load development. I was planning on using some Scenars in the process, but the MatchKings are working so well that I decided on following the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doctrine.

I need to go out West, your neck of the woods is a long range hunter's dream. I'll keep practicing to be ready when the opportunity arises.

LOL so you where disapointed because the shot was way too easy and not challenging enough, being he was only running wide open 300 yards away LOL. You wanted to shoot him at 700 yards running to give him a chance.

Heck I'm hesitant to take a shot hunting over 300 yards if the animal is standing still LOL.

Silver_Bullet_00: You have a point. If that shot were an easy one, I would've probably gotten the high shoulder shot I was aiming for. I was disappointed because I've been looking for the longest kill possible, kind of like when people specifically look for a particular trophy. I know it's silly, but it's easy to get caught up in the numbers and trying to keep pushing the envelope. I am grateful, though, for being able to spend time in the outdoors hunting. It is a privilege that we can't take for granted.