• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FL or neck size?

Sgt_Jamez

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
Carmichael, CA
I have a Savage 10 FCP-HSP in 6.5x47 Lapua, and the way my it is set up, I only get about .002" stretch on a firing. My old methodology was to neck size for a few firings and then use a Redding body die. I think I will have to shoulder bump every other firing at the most. So I am wondering if there is more utility in FL sizing every time. Thoughts?

I have a Savage 10 FCP-HSP in 6.5x47 Lapua, and the way my it is set up, I only get about .002" stretch on a firing. My old methodology was to neck size for a few firings and then use a Redding body die. I think I will have to shoulder bump every other firing at the most. So I am wondering if there is more utility in FL sizing every time. Thoughts?

10FP LE2b here and I use neck bushing dies and bump the shoulders back when needed for my four bolt guns. I like cartridges that chamber snuggly.

For my gas guns, I'm a bit more liberal with my shoulder bumps, due to the nature of the beast.

Chris

IMHO a properly set up FL die will work your case less over time than neck/body/FL when it's TOO big. The piece of mind that comes with knowing it's going to work EVERY TIME is priceless.

Cheers,

Doc

When i bought my savage lrp 260 i just ended up getting the redding full length die with the bushings because you really dont have to touch the shoulder at all and use it as just a bushing die for the first couple firings. I just drop the case in a wilson guage after every firing and when it needs the shoulder bumped just adjust the die acordingly. Instead of buying a bunch of dies for each function you just got one to do it all.

IMHO a properly set up FL die will work your case less over time than neck/body/FL when it's TOO big. The piece of mind that comes with knowing it's going to work EVERY TIME is priceless.

Cheers,

Doc

+1 Agreed.

I FL all the time now ensuring that I'm only bumping the shoulder back about 0.002". I was in the neck size every 2 and body die every 3rd kick....but I just couldn't see how that made my ammo consistent.

I was in the neck size every 2 and body die every 3rd kick....but I just couldn't see how that made my ammo consistent.

This, plus my particular stick prefers full length sized. Some, I hear, even prefer small base sized. Just depends. Your rifle will tell you what tastes good to it if you just feed it a variety and listen to what it is telling you.