• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FL resizing bushing die, without the bushing?

dbshabo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2012
FL
I have a bushing FL resizing die. I use a separate collet neck sizing/decapping die on my brass. My question is whether I should leave the bushing in the sizing die even though I use the collet die to size my necks. Does the bushing keep the brass positioned correctly in the die during use? ? Thanks.

Shabo

I personally think its better to have FL and NK sizing done at once so the bushing die is the way to go. But I also don't FL/NK size every reload. I reload twice and just neck size twice. After the second firing then I FL size with my Redding FL die with bushing.

If you use the FL die with no bushing you're essentially using a body die. Don't worry abut the brass being held center by the bushing. If you have good dies the brass will center as its being FL sized anyway. The main concern is also the press and if the shell holder is aligning the case up evenly with the die.

Last edited:
You can use the F/L die without the bushing and it will work like a body die. You can then use the collet die. A lot of reloaders, myself included, who use a body and collet die use the collet die first, then the body die. Some believe the collet first, then the F/L body die may help runout. I haven't seen much difference either way, but I do it in that order.