• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FL Sizing Die Question

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
I have one set of .308 dies. I have multiple .308s and have been running off of the same FL die setting.

Using an RCBS Precision Mic the average of 35 once fired Lapua cases in my bolt gun was 0.066.

Using an RCBS Precision Mic the average of 35 once fired Winchester cases in my LRB M14ish gun was 0.095.

Using an RCBS Precision Mic the average of 35 new Winchester cases was 0.016.

The LRB shot pretty well in load development with the new cases. Do you think I would be better off getting a second set of dies and setting them at 0.075 for the LRB? Or do you think that the die setting for the bolt gun, at 0.046 is going to be close enough that it really isn't going to translate into any real gain in accuracy?

Both are set to a factory OAL (2.8 IIRC), both are using 175 SMKs.

Thanks

Good luck

Re: FL Sizing Die Question

I have like four sets of dies for 308 and they are numbered.
One takes base dimension back to .468, another .469, another .470 then I make the decision how to set them up.I usually only shoot a couple rifles at a time and when I change over I set die to work that shoulder based on fired case base dimension.
The whole exercise is to size the case just enough to close easily and not overwork brass.

Re: FL Sizing Die Question

I understand about overworking the brass but given it is an M14 it is going to chew up the brass long before it would otherwise reach the end of it's life. My question is does .03 have a real relationship to accuracy?

TIA