• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flag question...

USAFDoug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
North Carolina
Ok so I was looking at our gate today and saw that the US flag was half-staff... that's fine because it is for fallen or injured firefighters but I noticed that the NATO and German flags were at full staff. I was looking through the flag code and could grind anything about it but some civilian retired guy said it was wrong... I don't think he is correct though? Anyone?

Re: Flag question...

I assume you're in Germany. Could be because you are on their soil, so the law would defer to theirs instead. I read through the flag code on that one too, and couldn't see any particular distinction on that though. It was pretty cut and dry that no other nation's flag should fly at a position of honor higher than ours.

Gray area maybe? Still don't think it's right though.

As a side note though, the flag may only be ordered to half mast in accordance with this section:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. <span style="font-weight: bold">By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.</span> In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

* (1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
* (2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5; and
* (3) the term 'Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico. </div></div>It is common practice for local units to lower the flag to half mast in honor of fallen soldiers, but according to this it is technically not right. I guess it would fall under the "recognized custom" section.

From Army Pam 600-60 A Guide to Protocol and Etiquette for
Official Entertainment

Chapter 3 --Official Entertaining
Section 3-3 --Display of flags at military receptions and dinners

I found this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">d. Flags of other nations. When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximate equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace (4 USCS 7 (2000)). <span style="font-weight: bold">The exception to this is when the President directs that the flag of the United States be flown at half-staff. In this instance the flag of the United States will be flown at half-staff whether or not the flag of another nation is flown at full staff alongside the United States flag.</span></div></div> [Emphasis Mine]

While not the exact situation you gave, it does show precedence.

ANC (lowering to half staff 30 minutes before first funeral of the day and remaining there until 30 minutes after last funeral of the day) would appear to be covered by the part of the code that Redmanss lists that mentions "recognized customs or practices" as that is not listed any where else in the code.

I would think that the lowering on Base would also do so.

That is the situation... I would guess. The flag was at half-mast because of Congress in show of support for Fallen Firefighters... looks like it was legit.