• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Flat Shooting caliber

joycey

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2010
Australia
i do a lot of night time spot lighting and it is hard to determine the distance when u can only see the fox's eyes, i am looking for a flat shooting claiber, i will be shooting from 100yrds out to around 300yrds. i have just bought a tikka tac in 308 mainly for deer hunting, but not convinced it would be the best round for the night shooting.
i dont do hand loads.
Thanks Guys

Re: Flat Shooting caliber

22-250 is hard to beat. Plenty of factory loads to choose from. A little trial and error on where you zero the scope and with what load and you should be able shoot out to 300+ yrds with little hold over.

I have a real nice Winchester 70 in 220 Swift for sale! King of the 22s...

The 6mm and 6.5mm bores comes to mind. This is where I would look. Personally I like the 243 Winchester for that purpose.

Bullet selection makes more difference than the case sometimes.

7mm allen magnum would be one of the flattest I know of.

With 162's fired at 3600 fps you can hold dead on a 5 inch circle out to 449 yards, otherwise called MPBR. With this, you would be zero'd at 380 yards.

If you are on a budget, a 22-250 with a 50g Vmax will have a mpbr of 390 yards.

I just use a rangefinder with my .223 firing 60g vmax at 3000ish, cold bore shot on rabbits out to 466 yards so far. Fox's are a bit bigger.

Chris

Thanks for the feedback, I'm liking the sound of the 243 an 22-250. What would shot flatter out of those two out to 300?
Saying the 243 is shooting 80grn factory loads an the 250 is shooting 55grainers?

If you don't mind fireforming, the 22-250 ackley is a laser and brass life is better than regular 22-250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joycey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the feedback, I'm liking the sound of the 243 an 22-250. What would shot flatter out of those two out to 300?
Saying the 243 is shooting 80grn factory loads an the 250 is shooting 55grainers? </div></div>

The exact ballistics will depend on muzzle velocity, environmental conditions, and the exact bullet. Every bullet design is different thus BC varies.

If you hand loaded you could get the best of both worlds and do a 22-243....
75 grain amax going 3400 fps really tears shit up. But for a factory load I would go 22-250 or 220 swift.

Sight them in at 250 yards, they are all min of coyote guns to 300.

204, 223, 243,and just about anything in between. If you dont reload, the 223 is the cheapest route.

I'm a big fan of the 6mm family and fast twist .22 cals, in calibers such as the aforementioned .22-243, or others similar to it.

Turbo 54 has your answer. If you decide to go with the 22-250 in a custom....get the IMP. You'll get much more brass life. For coyote...you really don't need any more than the varmint type caliber .224 rounds...the .223W through the .220 Swift will all do what you want.

I like the 204. Pelt friendly, no recoil (see your shot) and can hit prairie dogs over 300 yards. It's cheap to reload too. Mines a SS Tikka T3 Lite.

Since "flat shooting" is really a function of time of flight, go to JBM and enter the muzzle velocity from factory loads (you said you don't handload) for the calibers you are considering. The quickest time of flight to whatever yardage you choose is your winner. IF you are limiting yourself to 300 yards, wind shouldn't really be a huge factor for you unless it is really howling.

For your purposes time of flight should be your best (easiest)indicator. Bullet drop is a simple function of the time that gravity has to exert its constant force (9.8m/s/s) on the projectile. This is true regardless of bullet weight and other factors. Those other factors (BC, MV, etc) are all components that determine time of flight, so time of flight is your summary indicator for bullet drop.

You may also be interested in other characteristics (i.e. pelt damage, etc.) and would need to weigh those accordingly. If your only concern is "flat shooting" to 300, this is what I would do.

Yea thanks for that. I'll be sure to check out JBM.
I don't have an issue about destroying the pelt as we are shooting them because there are to many an they are killing our lambs.
I just want to make sure I'm hitting them everytime an not have to make large adjustments in hold over

Wouldn't the flattest caliber be the one with the least drop in elevation throughout its flight.. Get a 50BMG or 338LM and be done with it, fox's wont know what hit em!

(sarcasm about the 338/50....)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joycey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i do a lot of night time spot lighting and it is hard to determine the distance when u can only see the fox's eyes, i am looking for a flat shooting claiber, i will be shooting from 100yrds out to around 300yrds. i have just bought a tikka tac in 308 mainly for deer hunting, but not convinced it would be the best round for the night shooting.
i dont do hand loads.
Thanks Guys </div></div>The .22-250 is a good choice, as well as the .243 Winchester. I would guess the .204 Ruger would be a good choice as well.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't the flattest caliber be the one with the least drop in elevation throughout its flight.. Get a 50BMG or 338LM and be done with it, fox's wont know what hit em!

(sarcasm about the 338/50....) </div></div>

I think we are essentially saying the same thing (or trying to). The caliber that has "the least drop in elevation throughout its flight" is the caliber whose time of flight to whatever the defined distance is is the quickest.

Since gravity's downward pull is a constant acceleration, the less time it has to exert that force the less bullet drop occurs. All of the other things we normally talk about such as muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, air density, etc. are only factors that affect time of flight.

Naturally, muzzle velocity is the maximum speed the projectile has. Ballistic coefficient and the various environmental parameters that combine to make up air density tell us how well that projectile will retain its velocity throughout its flight. Bottom line is shorter time of flight = less drop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Compact45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 204. Pelt friendly, no recoil (see your shot) and can hit prairie dogs over 300 yards. It's cheap to reload too. Mines a SS Tikka T3 Lite. </div></div> I agree. I get to shoot and trap lots of big foxes every year and the 204 Ruger is really good. I prefer the 17rem or 17fireball for saving pelts. The little 17's can be a bitch in the wind although damn flat shooting. The bigger of the two was with a 17Rem at 330 yards.
ixwglk.jpg

If you don't care about the pelts, 22-250 or 204 Ruger. You'll be sure of your hits with either of those.

I do a lot of fox shooting here in the UK. I am shooting a .20Tac. What a cracking round it is. Out to 300 yards its is point and shoot with a 1" high 100 yard zero.

You already own a Tikka why not compliment it with a .204 and have a matching pair.....

204 Hands down burned 2 barrels out shooting prairie dogs and coyote it shoots Flat and keeps you in the scope to see impacts.

.204 is flat shooting! Out to 300 its just point and shoot!

For shooting predators at night, you want a cartridge that will anchor them RIGHT THERE. Looking for run-offs & spinners in the dark can waste lots of time, and some you just won't find at all..
That said, & being you are limiting yourself to factory ammo, I'd say go with a .243 and run something like the 58gr Vmax Hornady ammo. Those light bullets shoot as flat as a .204, but the .243 allows enough sectional density to pretty much anchor a coyote where it stands. A fast .204 just won't lock a coyote up @ 300 like you'd hope it would...
Heck, I have a wicked flat shooting wildcat in .17Predator (30Golds, b.c. of .27 @ 4100fps) that flat anchors coyotes with good body hits. But for night shooting at eyes and shadows and possibly through some unseen brush, a bit more gun for any possible coyotes would be a wise choice. .22-250 minimum, .243, all the better...
smile.gif

Fox only, .204 would suffice!

good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting predators at night, you want a cartridge that will anchor them RIGHT THERE. Looking for run-offs & spinners in the dark can waste lots of time, and some you just won't find at all..
That said, & being you are limiting yourself to factory ammo, I'd say go with a .243 and run something like the 58gr Vmax Hornady ammo. Those light bullets shoot as flat as a .204, but the .243 allows enough sectional density to pretty much anchor a coyote where it stands. A fast .204 just won't lock a coyote up @ 300 like you'd hope it would...
Heck, I have a wicked flat shooting wildcat in .17Predator (30Golds, b.c. of .27 @ 4100fps) that flat anchors coyotes with good body hits. But for night shooting at eyes and shadows and possibly through some unseen brush, a bit more gun for any possible coyotes would be a wise choice. .22-250 minimum, .243, all the better...
smile.gif

good luck!
</div></div>

If I were to respond to the OP's question I would just be repeating what knockemdown just said. Lot of good advice from him regarding shooting predators.

204 Ruger is the ideal round for your needs. Don't bother looking at the bigger stuff for your purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For shooting predators at night, you want a cartridge that will anchor them RIGHT THERE. Looking for run-offs & spinners in the dark can waste lots of time, and some you just won't find at all..
smile.gif

good luck!
</div></div>

^^^^Great advice.

Use a Blunder Bust.
5' 5/16 log chain
20 1/4" nuts
Over 1 pound of FFFG.
that sucker will layem out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm amazed I'm the only one to mention a 220 Swift!</div></div>

So am I as it's awesome. I'm also interested in your Win 220 Swift. PM me with info.

Flattest thing I have seen shoot is taliv's 260 AI. That thing is a LASER beam.

smile.gif

good luck!
</div></div>

yea thanks for your advice! makes a lot of sense. i have been looking at balistics of all three rounds an the 243 spitting out 55 grainers shoots flatter than the rest by an inch or 2 out at 300yrds

i do already have a 243 but it only shoots 3 an half inch groups at 100yrds. not sure if its the cheap scope or its just the gun. thats why i didnt worry about mentioning it before, i am gonna sell it an get a new tikka t3 varmint stainless with a nightforce 5.5-22x50

below is a couple goats i got with it a couple weeks back
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l488/binladen321/3nicebillies.jpg

220, 22-250, 243 with the 58gr, or the 204 all are great varmint rounds, the 220 is supposed to be a barrel burner , havent had one so its just hear say. the 243 with the 58 pill is screaming fast with explosive results, so is the 204. or you can go with the 223 super short Now this really is a barrel burner my buddys rifle had significant throat errosion just after 300 rounds. he traded for a 22-250. my personal one is a plain ol 223 zeroed at 100 and a vortec with target turret ( just dial in the range and dont worry about bullet drop.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">220, 22-250, 243 with the 58gr, or the 204 all are great varmint rounds, the 220 is supposed to be a barrel burner , havent had one so its just hear say. the 243 with the 58 pill is screaming fast with explosive results, so is the 204. or you can go with the 223 super short Now this really is a barrel burner my buddys rifle had significant throat errosion just after 300 rounds. he traded for a 22-250. my personal one is a plain ol 223 zeroed at 100 and a vortec with target turret ( just dial in the range and dont worry about bullet drop.) </div></div>

yea thanks for the feedback tray, i like what u have said but the whole reason i want a flat shooting bullet is because i am shooting at night an cant determine the range.
im thinking 243 sighted in at 200 yards shooting 55grn balistic tips

Is that 5.5-22 a tad bit much for nightime shooting? Maybe their 3.5-15x56 for more light gathering?

I like a 6mm Remington for a flat shooter. I used to load a 90 or 100 grain Sierra in it and it was deadly. Not sure who makes factory ammo for the 6mm but probably a 22-250 / 243 has more factory ammo choices. You'd be happy with any of these for your application. Might want to think about using something larger than a .22 bullet as that isn't legal to hunt with in my state (varminting is fine but just not for hunting). I always try to check as many boxes for uses whenever I buy a new caliber.

I started varmint hunting with a Tikka super varmint in 22-250 and a high power Nikon scope. Loaded with 55gr blitzkings it was devastating on foxes. Love the Tikka magazines for loading/unloading in the dark. Felt it was a bit much rifle and scope at night since most of my shots were not long distance and I had trouble getting my crosshairs on my prey, especially when they don't stand still

Looked for but could not find a Tikka in 204 to use for nighttime hunting. Came across a Howa in 204 with a Christensen Arms barrel on clearance. Put a Timney trigger on her as well as a Swarovski 2x12x50 z6i. The bigger field of view on low power really helps with the close in shots and moving targets.

yes i like your point about the scope, i was talking to the nightforce rep an he said there is barely any differance between the 50 an 56 objectives, so i was going to choose the 50 as it fits on the tikka with the super low mounts if u have a rail.
also i figure have more magnification is better than not enough, because i wont need to shoot using any less than the 5.5 that is on the 5.5-22x50 or 56

.223 is a pretty good little round for spotlighting roo's fox's and rabbit's , I have also shot donkey's horse's pig's and feral cattle with the .223

Just putting it out there ,if you have a 100yd zero and want to make a 300yd shot on a fox just hold over a mil and your good to go . (I know it's not exact just an example)

There are flatter shooting rounds out there and there have been some very good suggestion's made , but the 223 is a pretty good round it's cheap to load for has good barrel life and there is not to much you cant kill with one if you need to .

I do a bit of night shooting around here and don't have much trouble ranging at night especially seeing as the shot tend to be close . I do use gap mil ret on my .223 so it's a bit easier .

Are you in Au ?

:edit where about's in Au are you ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.223 is a pretty good little round for spotlighting roo's fox's and rabbit's , I have also shot donkey's horse's pig's and feral cattle with the .223

Just putting it out there ,if you have a 100yd zero and want to make a 300yd shot on a fox just hold over a mil and your good to go . (I know it's not exact just an example)

There are flatter shooting rounds out there and there have been some very good suggestion's made , but the 223 is a pretty good round it's cheap to load for has good barrel life and there is not to much you cant kill with one if you need to .

I do a bit of night shooting around here and don't have much trouble ranging at night especially seeing as the shot tend to be close . I do use gap mil ret on my .223 so it's a bit easier .

Are you in Au ?

:edit where about's in Au are you ?

</div></div>

yes from south australia. yea my cousin has a 223, great little gun, hardly any recoil an shoots well. we have knocked off plently of close range foxes bunnies an roos, as well as goats (not many over 100yrds) but was wondering how it would go out at 300. i guessing the 243 will be better so ill probably go with that. plus has resonably priced factory ammo (not as good as 223) and plenty of choices.

223 work fine on roo's out to and past 300yd's , the reason I was thinking 223 and not 243 is you already have a 308 that can be loaded to shoot vermin if you want .

for me 243 and 308 are just to close in performance , don't get me wrong I do like the 243 it is a very nice chambering I did own a m77 Ruger T and it was a tac driver but I also own two 308's and i just found that anything I could do with a 243 a 308 did better . So I sold it but 223 on the other hand it just fit's in very well , so dose 22-250 .

243 is good on windy night's .

But the most important thing is it has to be what you like .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joycey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

i do already have a 243 but it only shoots 3 an half inch groups at 100yrds. not sure if its the cheap scope or its just the gun. thats why i didnt worry about mentioning it before, i am gonna sell it an get a new tikka t3 varmint stainless with a nightforce 5.5-22x50

below is a couple goats i got with it a couple weeks back
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l488/binladen321/3nicebillies.jpg</div></div>

If you are hunting at night forget the big NF scopes. Get the 2.5-10x32. It has the ability to adjust the brightness of the illuminated reticle. It is all you will ever need.

i want to go the the 243, what would 58gr V-max go like with a 10" barrel twist.
would the faster tips chew through the barrel like warm cheese?

if that is a no go,what about the 65gr v-max, if still no good, the 75gr v-max?

thanks