• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flinching by closing the shooting eye

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
I got to the point where I was not doing this, then after a break I recently started doing it again.

Any tips for preventing this?

Re: Flinching by closing the shooting eye

If you mean you flinch when shooting with one eye closed, then try shooting a gun with no recoil, like a .22, and once you're not flinching at all anymore go back to your bigger rifle.

I think he is referring to closing his eye when he shoots and the recoil and muzzle blast hit him.

HonkeyMcGee88 that’s exactly what I am referring to.

I have the same problem but with my breathing cycle. I have a tendency to hold my breath when I pull the trigger, just have to slow down and focus on what I am doing wrong and it normally helps quite a bit.

Dry fire. Helps your body "learn" that the noise and blast are ok and it's not going to hurt you.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

After that, I would recommend doing a little...

dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

The blink is not the cause of a flinch, it's a symptom. Flinch is the direct consequence of jerking the trigger.

If it comes before the break, it's a symptom of a flinch, caused by jerking the trigger. If the mind/subconscious <span style="font-style: italic">knows</span> when the shot is about to break, natural reflexes will shut the eye just as the trigger is jerked, and the blink will precede the break.

If it comes after the break, it is a natural reflex action caused by the noise and recoil; and all shooters will naturally do it.

Trying to force it to disappear will not contribute to good marksmanship. It will only distract the shooter from the proper execution of the marksmanship basics.

A smooth, progressive application of force to the trigger will help defeat the body's natural tendency to anticipate the noise and recoil that always accompanies the breaking of the shot.

I will not try to insist that good shooters never know exactly when the break is immediately imminent, but they <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> allow themselves to concentrate on the sight picture, rather than on the sear disengagement. How successful they become at this can be confirmed by having an observer watch for the blink. After the shot, OK; before the shot, not OK.

Greg

I noticed myself doing this at the range yesterday with my new sps tactical .308, so today I brought my .22 along as well. I switched between the two calibers periodically and found myself shooting a little better overall since I was able to take a break from the noise and recoil of the sps. I also made it a point to dry-fire between groups

Might sound dumb but try to force yourself to see where that bullet hits the target. The most important thing in the world and the only thing on your mind is squeezing till it goes off and wanting/knowing you'll see that bullet hit the target. You won't think about squeezing, you won't think about the blast, you won't think about the gun jumping, you won't even hear someone beside you cussing because they had a hot brass go down their shirt. You'll only be staring at that target and won't even think what happens until you see it hit. Kinda like driving and realizing you don't remember the last mile or so. Call it finding your zone or whatever but you'll be surprised how much easier it becomes and the less you worry about the less important outside influences such as recoil or muzzle blast or the shooters beside you with the big magnum blowing dust all over everything.

Shoot a short barreled bolt action long range pistol that comes up near your head every shot with a blast that clears the bench and you'll learn to tune everything out and find a way to overcome the flinch/jerk/crunch or whatever you want to call it. It can be done, just work at it and try directing all your attention to watching that fly/bug walking around in the exact middle of that target and you want to see him become a splatter mark.

End of my " I have no clue how to explain how we do it" lesson that sounds pretty dumb but at least worth a try for you.

Would you have developed a worse flinch shooting this at little targets to 1000 yards or learned to overcome those tendencies and use it as a tool to improve trigger squeeze? Either you'd get a worse one or when you conquered your flinch shooting any rifle would be a piece of cake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJyqvJbfoY

Good luck

Topstrap