• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flinching

IMG_20200210_185900.jpg

So I took the idea of dryfiring to practice then when I got to the range I started off with a 223 rifle to warm up. This was the Last magazine of the day. I flinched on the first shot so I decided to practice more on the 223. After taking things real slow with the last 4 rounds I ended up placing a pretty impressive group at 100 Yards. thank you for all of your help.

Reactions: SD Carpenter
View attachment 7246560
So I took the idea of dryfiring to practice then when I got to the range I started off with a 223 rifle to warm up. This was the Last magazine of the day. I flinched on the first shot so I decided to practice more on the 223. After taking things real slow with the last 4 rounds I ended up placing a pretty impressive group at 100 Yards. thank you for all of your help.

Which is a prime example of what I’ve been saying.

I bet your dryfire practice was perfect every time. As soon as your subconscious expected recoil, you flinch returned at some point.

Reactions: Awag1000
The Hide is so full of good expert shooters that have all been there and done that and are willing to help.

View attachment 7246560

My Nosler Custom Comps are often a "two group" bullet.

Maybe try some other projectiles.

I would also try some 165's or 190's.... 6 inches is a lot IMO at 100. get it online if needed.

When I was a young man I shot at awful lot, and some big guns, 458 Lott etc. I developed a pretty bad flinch, and it comes back easily.

Here's what I do.

Number 1 source of flinch for me is the blast. Double up hearing protection and you're half way there. Plugs that are inserted CORRECTLY, and muffs over the top. Safety glasses to shield your eyes from the blast wave and you'll start getting better

Next shoot a minor caliber. .22 is great, but a violent Springer air rifle is better. Lots of noise and motion going with those, those help me a ton.

Weight on the gun. I have a small 7 mag that about kills me. When I shoot it a lay it on bags and sometimes drape a sandbag over the scope on longer sessions.

PAST recoil shield, cheap and will really absorb recoil.

Use some or all of these, flinching can be a real issue, you can train it out but always be wary of it.

One more thing: stop early. I have found that if I'm tightening up before the shot, I'm tense, it's time to stop for the day or switch to rimfire. That's when the flinch starts to happen

Reactions: Cuzz
I keep a few of these in the glove box in case my buddies develop a flinch.
Just pull the tape and stick it to the sore area. ???

Screenshot_20200224-090902_Chrome.jpg