• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flinching ?

PRSnewbie

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2021
Maine
I am very new to shooting. I am getting 2 rounds into a 1 inch dot at 100 yards and then I will group the next 3 or 4 low and left. I am shooting 6.5 Creedm and it feels like I am getting kicked in the face by a mule each tie I pull the trigger. I think the rifle has 1/2 the recoil of my Sig .308 but shooting the two is entirely different experience. Any thoughts on what is going on will be greatly appreciated.

If you get a flinch it will happen almost every shot. It will even happen on other rifles. The only way to get past it is to practice your fundementals, if it feels like a mule kicking your face then you are positioned wrong on the gun. Maybe you need a higher cheek weld, or lower rings. I aquired a flinch from a 300 wby mag once. It lasted for about a week until i shot thru it. It really taught me alot about position on the rifle and how to mitigate recoil.

Reactions: oldiephrt
You can have a buddy load a couple dummy rounds and see your behavior through the scope if you think you are flinching.
This. Or buy them. Let your buddy load the magazine also. If you do it then the experiment has already failed.

If a 6.5CM is hammering on you that much then something isn't right. I would suggest combing over the years and years of posts in this: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/fundamentals-of-marksmanship.123/

Or if you are a more visual person, check out this for an example.

Reactions: Just Chuck
I have not ever used dummy rounds. I should maybe.
But I use dry fire between firing live rounds.
With rifle I shoot 223 so flinching really is not why I do this, mainly to improve trigger pull.

With 9mm I have trained people who never shot firearms before to keep inside paper at 10m by changing between live and dry firings. Friend of mine still continues it today himself. But it really works well too.

With rifle:
When you do the dry fire, focus on
1. Relaxed shoulder, but firing hand is still supported
2. At this time, check NPOA. I have sometimes noticed it changes after previous step.
3. Trigger pull, I start counting steadily 1-2-3 while I pull and on three it should break. I do not force the last bit if it does not break, I redo. But I use stock trigger which is horrible compared to competition stuff, like my B&A. Hence the reason I practice it.

Do the dry fire until you are happy with the result. Then return to live fire for 2-5 rounds for intense training. I bet you will see improvement, as you catch yourself doing stuff you practically should not. As you get conscious about the matter you can begin to change it.

If you get a flinch it will happen almost every shot. It will even happen on other rifles. The only way to get past it is to practice your fundementals, if it feels like a mule kicking your face then you are positioned wrong on the gun. Maybe you need a higher cheek weld, or lower rings. I aquired a flinch from a 300 wby mag once. It lasted for about a week until i shot thru it. It really taught me alot about position on the rifle and how to mitigate recoil.
Thank you! Lower rings is not possible as the objective housing is less than 1/8 inch off the barrel. After shooting it this weekend I am thinking raising the cheek weld is in order as you suggested.

Reactions: Texasflyer
I have not ever used dummy rounds. I should maybe.
But I use dry fire between firing live rounds.
With rifle I shoot 223 so flinching really is not why I do this, mainly to improve trigger pull.

With 9mm I have trained people who never shot firearms before to keep inside paper at 10m by changing between live and dry firings. Friend of mine still continues it today himself. But it really works well too.

With rifle:
When you do the dry fire, focus on
1. Relaxed shoulder, but firing hand is still supported
2. At this time, check NPOA. I have sometimes noticed it changes after previous step.
3. Trigger pull, I start counting steadily 1-2-3 while I pull and on three it should break. I do not force the last bit if it does not break, I redo. But I use stock trigger which is horrible compared to competition stuff, like my B&A. Hence the reason I practice it.

Do the dry fire until you are happy with the result. Then return to live fire for 2-5 rounds for intense training. I bet you will see improvement, as you catch yourself doing stuff you practically should not. As you get conscious about the matter you can begin to change it.
I think you are right and I need to spend more time behind the gun w/out making it go bang. Paying attention to my body mechanics more than focusing on the target.

Reactions: oldiephrt
Also, check your hearing protection. Inadequate protection is bad for range time.

Does your 6.5 have a muzzle brake? If so, unscrew it and throw it into a volcano.

seems odd that it would kick more than a .308.
are you pulling the rifle into your shoulder firmly?
if you hold a rifle loosely, it will accelerate and smack you. held firmly, it is a quick shove.

Last edited:
lots of practice you could use your phone to record your flinching so even if you don't see it the video will show you tons of things you did not know you do I loved dry firing not only did it save me bullets I spent the same 3 hours per range day behind the scope and on the trigger while burning through less ammo . Good luck to you and wishes for success

OP, tried dry firing to see if you're flinching by the reticle moving? might be a way of finding out without using ammo as there's an ammo shortage or so i've heard.