• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Flip up sights for Armalite M15 offset gas block?

Norm

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2004
I was looking at the M15 flat top carbine and noticed that the rails on the gas block are about 1/4" lower than the rails on the receiver, which I'm sure will make a big difference in mounting and sighting flip up sites -- 99.9% of which seem to be made to mount on the same plane.

Is there any legitimate reason to put a lower (offset) rail on a gas block or is this just a "gotcha" that Armalite has built into their rifles so that you have to buy flip up sights only from them?

What (non-Armalite) flip up sight sets are available that will account for this rail offset?

Thanks!

Re: Flip up sights for Armalite M15 offset gas block?

Yankee Hill Machine makes a set for a gas block that is lower than the rail height. YHM-9584 I just went through this with mine. They are a pretty decent sight for around $85. I have an all YHM AR and it runs pretty good.

Re: Flip up sights for Armalite M15 offset gas block?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yankee Hill Machine makes a set for a gas block that is lower than the rail height. YHM-9584 I just went through this with mine. They are a pretty decent sight for around $85. I have an all YHM AR and it runs pretty good. </div></div>

Thanks for the info!

I guess my question now is, are all gas block rails the same standard height? For that matter, do all AR manufacturers use the exact same height relationship between their receiver rails and their gas block rails?

I'd hate to spend the money on flip up sights and find them unusable because Armalite uses a different rail height on their gas block than anyone else. So it would be good if I could find out what somebody with an Armalite M15 (carbine) is using.

Of course, if the gas block and receiver rails were both on the same plane, then none of this would be an issue -- but that would be too easy and make too much sense.