• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

flipup caps

Bevan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
do we have a tougher alternative to butler creek yet? I'm sick of breaking these fucking things

Re: flipup caps

BC's are absolute crap!! They used to be well made but in recent years have been outsourced overseas and made to a lower standard in the name of profit margins.

Related thread

I have officially quit buying them after breaking about 5 of them in the last year or so. Prior to that, I never had one fail me.

Personally I think everyone one of us should bombard the company with emails telling them how they took a great product and made it total junk and not stop unitl they start making them to the best possible quality.

CM

I quit buying them too. They don't stay closed and get broken crawling through the brush. I just got a bikini to throw on during storage or long hikes.

While watching the Magpul precision rifle videos, the guy mentions some caps that he loves to use and they look all rubbery. I can't for the life of me figure out what company they are. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I have to second the comment about the Butler Creek caps. A day in cold weather and 1 flip up or down and they snap off. I too have found it better just to stay with the bikini caps

yeah I've seen the threads about it here

I'm sure there was someone working on making some heavier duty flipups

there's definitely a gap in the market

the red tac gear thing isn't remotely what i'm looking for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While watching the Magpul precision rifle videos, the guy mentions some caps that he loves to use and they look all rubbery. I can't for the life of me figure out what company they are. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?</div></div>

Tenebraex.

I think if the hinge portion was just a hard "rubber" type product they would be fine. Plastic that thin just doesnt give much expedsially when it's cold out.
I have broke two in the last month of coyote season and I refuse to buy another butter creek.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about these.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-killflash-ard-flip-cap-optic-cover-size-7

It'll only cover one side but that is better than nothing. I have no experience with them myself but have ran into the same problem as the op and have been searching for a replacement.

J </div></div>

The Vortex arent bad but they arent great either. The springs are light so the flip back and forth easily under recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slivoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While watching the Magpul precision rifle videos, the guy mentions some caps that he loves to use and they look all rubbery. I can't for the life of me figure out what company they are. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?</div></div>

Tenebraex. </div></div>

Thank you for that. Much appreciated.

I just purchased a used PMII from Alex at EuroOptic and it came with these http://www.quakeinc.com/opticcover.html and while untested seem to be a better alternative to BC's. The ring that mounts to the tube is a "rubber" type of material while the cap is polymer. Of course, I haven't banged them around yet so ............

Here's what I have found through some research. I just ordered one of the Vortex and one of the Quake to compare so I will post up when I get them. Hope this helps you guys.

www.eagleoptics.com
Vortex Flip Cap Cover Size #5 - 40-46mm,1.6–1.8 inches
Vortex Flip Cap Cover Size #6 - 46-55mm,1.8-2.2 inches
Vortex Flip Cap Cover Size #7 - 55-61mm,2.2-2.4 inches

www.eagleoptics.com
Quake Bushwacker Cap Cover #1 1.00"-1.14"
Quake Bushwacker Cap Cover #2
Quake Bushwacker Cap Cover #3 1.20"-1.40"
Quake Bushwacker Cap Cover #4
Quake Bushwacker Cap Cover #5
Quake Bushwacker Cap Cover #6 1.84"-2.20" (looks like the 50mm + lens)
Quake Bushwacker Cap Cover #7 2.20"-2.45" (looks like the 56mm + lens)

Tenebraex - Fits NF and Leupold scopes 50mm objectives with adapter. Of course I have a 56mm lens!!!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/824434/...objective-matte
www.eagleoptics.com

While the Bushwhackers may be more durable than the BC's I got tired of the ocular smacking me in the forehead and the objective caps coming off all the time.

I am pretty sure unbranded Bushwhackers come on the Vortex Razor scopes and the hinge is still hard plastic.

If you want reliable caps, get a set of butler creek bikini caps. The keep the mud and crap out real well. Just don't put your rifle away with them on.

The BC bikini caps appear similar to NFs. Why do you recommend not putting the rifle away with them on?

Why I have kept them I do not know, butI have a medium sized bux full of broken Butler Creek caps. The last one lasted one single day on an elk hunt in sub zero temps.

I did not know they had been outsourced. That makes sense. I am done with them now. I look forward to seeing one of their reps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can trap moisture in the caps. This can cause fungus and rust. Both are bad for optics. </div></div>

Thats great info to know... Never thought about that...

I have always used the Leupold Alumina flip covers for my 50mm nightforce scopes. The covers are slightly smaller than the threads on NF, but wrap thread tape around it a couple times and perfect fit. In six years and five scopes, not a broken cover yet.
Ben

I store my rifles (with their scopes) in my safe. I don't want dust to settle on my objective and I don't want moisture or rust to start anywhere on the scope. I keep a dehumidifier on and some cat litter to attract the moisture. After LoneWolf's advice, it makes sense not to keep the bikini covers on for scoped rifles stored extended periods.

What if I install scope kill-flash devices? Will that help keep the dust out and simplify things?

I never seen the need for me to buy a kill flash but if it does the trick, I might consider it.

Thoughts?

I would clean out your safe. There shouldn't be that much dust in there.

I have stuff that has sat in the top of my safe for more than a year with no dust. I have never had to wipe down the outside of a rifle because of dust. No reason to believe dust would settle more on a lens. If it bugs you, keep a lens pen on the top shelf and give it a quick swipe when you take them out.

I don't mess with ARD's unless I have a specific reason. The one for my Razor is still in the original box with the sunshade and bubble level.

Get the cat litter out of the safe. Use re-usable desiccant packs. They are designed for the job and don't have any extra chemicals or dust.

Used Butler Creeks for years. I found them to be okay for range use. However, I found when I started using them on my hunting rifles or match rifles they were broke easily and were a hindrance as far as limiting my visibility when down on the rifle but scanning with the open eye.

I second what LoneWolf is saying about trapping crap as well. I started using Scope Coats and haven't looked back. My personal need is to protect the optic from dust when not in immediate use. They work for me and I haven't noticed any real negatives about them so far. I suppose there could be a condensation issue but I haven't noticed it.

I guess its the way I've been using the safe. I tend to be always opening the safe and taking things and out and sometimes leave the door open as I work on something near it. I need to be more mindful. Understood.

Never had a problem with new, red button butler creeks (even sub zero coyote hunting).

That being said, the old ones definitely seem to be made better, more flex to the plastic and seems like a better latch.

The yellow button ones dont stay shut worth a damn.

tag
i am looking for an alternative to the Flip-ups. Depending on time of day, i do use a sun shade and first its a pain in the ass to try to get the BC off to screw on the shade and secondly, every time it does come off it gets all cattywumbas or outright breaks. I am leaning to going back to bikinis. Did anyone ever use the Schmidt and Bender bikini scope covers seen on Egay or online retailers?

I too have gone through a few of these things. They are great as long as they are closed. Soon as you open them up and bump into something. . .snap!!

Leupold makes some awsesome covers, but they are propietary to their scopes. I am referring to the Alumina Flip Back Lens Covers. A) they are made of aluminum B) they flip back laying completely flat against the scope. I wish someone make something like these for other scopes out there.

Or make some that are more rubber and have more flex as opposed to the plastic the BC's are made of.

I'm looking for something for my new Viper Vortex scope as well... after reading so many posts about busted BC flip-ups I have not bought any of those and keep looking. I was thinking about the Leupold aluminum versions, but not sure they'll fit the Viper as they're suppose to only fit their own product.

I may just try a pair of the Vortex flip-up covers... they seem to be made of a rubber type material f/the pics, but who knows.

On a side note, I have an older pair of BC flip-ups that have been mounted on my old trusted .243 hunting rifle for many years and they've held up quite well. Of course I'm also quite 'anal' about being protective of my gear, but those have held up nicely.

My butler creeks broke on the first trip to the range. Not wasting my money on them again.

One of my BC caps broke when I had the scope off the rifle with the BC cap open, it just rolled over and SNAP! These things aren't durable at all, but I still use them because I don't like debris getting on my lens, just have to be very careful to close the caps when not using the scope.

Wow, I don't feel so bad now. I got those caps for an ACOG, they don't say BC on 'em, but they aren't any different. Cap just snapped off at the range, very first time. Others have lasted several months, but only the bigger ones on larger scopes --and this was several years ago when I got them. Butler Creek used to have a good name, and if I'm not mistaken, some Carribean military uses their stocks on Mini-14's, kinda like "A-Team".

Rubber would be GREAT. I mean just awesome. A nice, stiff rubber. Nylon might not be bad either.

Didn't know Tenebraex made flip caps? They make the ARD or killflash and a new sunshade. But I didn't see caps. The ARD won't keep the dust out, if anything you now have to remove that to clean the glass. I don't use 'em all that often either, but I keep one on an ACOG and a RX01 reflex sight. Mostly because they don't break and I had 'em, and you need one to accomodate a flip cap on most ACOGs.

I'll check in here again, I'm interested to see what you guys come up with. Please do post how those caps work out for you.

I think it's a scam, not only did they outsource for higher profits but if they make them more brittle and more people break them, that's more people buying them. I'm using the original ones that came on my Razor (Vortex branded Bushwacker caps) and while not awesome, they do work.... I won't buy BC's anymore. Waste of money.

Are any Hide vendors working on a new cap? The demand side of the equation is there, but it seems the supply is not. I'd pay for a set of decent caps if they became available. I have a PMII and it would be asinine to not want to protect it. The bikini cover I have is ok and I love my Eberlestock scope/muzzle cover, but flip up caps would be a nice addition.