• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FLIR One

I'd avoid this camera as if it had a venereal disease. It likely exists for one reason...so FLIR can be the 1st to offer IR to the masses. I have 3 high end FLIR diagnostic cameras and they're very good at what they do, but I would not use the word "rugged" in a sentence when describing them. In fact I treat them as if made of egg shells for the 2nd reason to avoid them...their customer service is the WORST on the planet.

They're used to dealing with govt. agencies with unlimited budgets and clients where the person sending the camera in for repair, is likely unfamiliar with its use/purpose. As a result they will rape you for every nickel they can. Over the last 8 years I've sent cameras in for repair 3 times and even when under warranty the repair ends up costing $1K. They have you by the short hairs in the context that their service people can make up anything they want such as an $800 cleaning/calibration that you really don't need BUT you have to pay for to keep your warranty intact.

Add to that...they only have one repair center in CONUS, and you can do the math from there. In fact I hope someone from FLIR reads this thread because that company has cost my business a LOT of money unnecessarily to the point where I'd rather live with an issue than send it off to what amounts to a bunch of common thieves for repair.

Unless you absolutely have to have FLIR equipment for your business I'd avoid them like the black plague until they understand how to spell customer service.

I won't go too deep into the technical aspects of that camera but suffice it to say that its thermal sensitivity/resolution is "weak" at best and likely doesn't have the refresh rate needed for anything resembling tactical use. In the end I'd wait out these consumer oriented thermal cameras for a few years til they work the bugs out. FLIR simply wants to be "first"...getting it right is likely the last thing on their list.

Last edited: