• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I really want to getone to play with... I think the initial reviews (PC mag, etc) indicate that FLIR is not being up front with the resolution of the actual thermal image. It sounds like the resolution of the thermal image is extremely low and lacking in detail, but FLIR over-lays or combines the thermal signature with images that the integrated standard camera optic collects in order to generate pictures and video that still retain usable level of resolution and detail. What that says to me is that as long as there is enough ambient light to create a decent camera image, this will create very usable thermal images (for the money), however in low light or no light situations, you'll be left with rainbow colored blobs. There's one image of a dog at night out there that I saw that demonstrates this... the face has some detail (as it is closer and somewhat lit) and the dogs body looks like a red and yellow blob (shaped like animal cracker cookies).
For the money I think it's a fun toy and has industrial applications. If you're planning to us it at night the way people on this website might typically do, you'd certainly see that SOMETHING is out there, but as far as identifying targets and details (like if it's coming or going, or holding an object) you'd be out of luck. Again, this is all speculation based on what I've seen on the web. If I get one I'll be happy to test it out and post my results. I certainly am curious if it's viable to mount in front of a red dot.

It is a detection device only, it is NOT a viable mount in front of a red dot, dream on if you are thinking that a FLIRONE is a $350 long range thermal weapon scope clip-on...

Mine is on the brown truck being delivered today and it will allow me to detect heat signatures out 100 yards at night, that is plenty for what I plan on using it for, detecting live and downed vermin night kills.

I used one at the Shot Show back in January and it is awesome!

Mine is on the brown truck being delivered today

I ordered mine today... agree, it's not going to work as a poor man's thermal weapon sight, but I can't wait to play with it! Of course I could use it for diagnostic tests at work too. It' s about time this technology was within reach. Hope this signals a trend where we'll be seeing the "higher quality" (Gen3) NV devices and new thermal weapon sights entering the consumer market at more reasonable price point. Who wouldn't wanna have heat vision?

Mine's just shipped. On the up-side, if the Flir One turns out to be a complete stinker people are still shelling out up to $540 for them on eBay.

I want to first say that I'm sorry, this has very little to do with snipers or precision shooting, but the geek in me can't help it...
So how about this mod to make a ghetto fabulous but functional short distance thermal weapon sight rig for the Flir One:
1) Stabilize your rifle in a vise or shooting stand.
2) Take a couple shots out to a target at 25-50 yards.
3) Attach the iPhone/Flir One to your rifle... this is the tricky part because there won't be any standard mounts or cases made for it. I'm thinking LOTS of zip ties
4) Fine tune the angle of the iPhone to center your point of impact on the screen. Overlay a crosshair decal (like this one for gamers The Edge) to mark the point of impact (or draw your own reticle if you have a screen protector decal).
5) It's party time. Moon's out, Goons out!

I can't imagine a home-made mount that would keep the iPhone steady enough to reliably hold zero with this setup, but it might be a fun little project and would get you into a short range thermal weapon sight for under $360. I bet it could work OK at close range with a decent mount and low recoil (22LR, paintball). Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mine is on the brown truck being delivered today and it will allow me to detect heat signatures out 100 yards at night, that is plenty for what I plan on using it for, detecting live and downed vermin night kills.
-
that good idea . I cant count the time I wasted at night hunting for dead coyotes laying on there side in the grass .
Coyote walking stands tall, You lay them down on there side in 10" of grass and you can walk by 10 ft. & they are invisible with NV .

I want to first say that I'm sorry, this has very little to do with snipers or precision shooting, but the geek in me can't help it...
So how about this mod to make a ghetto fabulous but functional short distance thermal weapon sight rig for the Flir One:
1) Stabilize your rifle in a vise or shooting stand.
2) Take a couple shots out to a target at 25-50 yards.
3) Attach the iPhone/Flir One to your rifle... this is the tricky part because there won't be any standard mounts or cases made for it. I'm thinking LOTS of zip ties
4) Fine tune the angle of the iPhone to center your point of impact on the screen. Overlay a crosshair decal (like this one for gamers The Edge) to mark the point of impact (or draw your own reticle if you have a screen protector decal).
5) It's party time. Moon's out, Goons out!

I can't imagine a home-made mount that would keep the iPhone steady enough to reliably hold zero with this setup, but it might be a fun little project and would get you into a short range thermal weapon sight for under $360. I bet it could work OK at close range with a decent mount and low recoil (22LR, paintball). Thoughts?

Before you get to far in to this, I would like to let you know that iPhones don't stand up to recoil very well at all, and there is no telling if the FLIR ONE would either. Being that it was not made for weapons mounting, I would guess that it would be destroyed also. That part is guess work, but I can tell you from the two dead iPhones in my desk drawer that they don't handle 5.56 recoil on a gas gun, or .300WM recoil on a heavy, suppressed bolt gun.

Before you get to far in to this, I would like to let you know that iPhones don't stand up to recoil very well at all, and there is no telling if the FLIR ONE would either. Being that it was not made for weapons mounting, I would guess that it would be destroyed also. That part is guess work, but I can tell you from the two dead iPhones in my desk drawer that they don't handle 5.56 recoil on a gas gun, or .300WM recoil on a heavy, suppressed bolt gun.

Killed two of them did ya? So should I put a Recoil Compensation Iphone on the list of projects?

The Flir one is going to be a toy. Posters are already confirming you can't see jack with it at night needing its day camera to make up most of the detail in the image. There are other options coming but remember, this is all on a cell phone. At best the usefulness of such devices will be to see things close up. MAYBE injuries to horses legs or find your lost cat in the bushes at night... POSSIBLY to see heat loss in a home. Your never going to whip out your phone and see hogs at 500 yards and say, "lets stalk over there!"

There is no free lunch in this see in the dark game.

Last edited:
Killed two of them did ya? So should a put a Recoil Compensation Iphone on the list of projects?

That would be outstanding! I wasn't using them for anything NV related, I just made a mount that would have the phone by the support hand to play around with having a ballistic app (iSnipe in this case) right there where you could have "living" dope of sorts. Pretty cool while it worked. But of course if I didn't break them, I surely would have lost them somewhere knowing me.

My Oh My, people have such high expectations for a 60X80 thermal core with a 6mm lens system, and they expect 500 yard ID for $350?

LOL, ignorance is bliss....

They are a great instrument for $350 plus the software is awesome too!

Last edited:
My Oh My, people have such high expectations for a 60X80 thermal core with a 6mm lens system, and they expect 500 yard ID for $350?

LOL, ignorance is bliss....

They are a great instrument for $350 plus the software is awesome too!

No but I expected at least to do something in useful darkness...

In darkness it is totally useless.

Again, have you used a 60X80 microbolometer before? What were you thinking a 60X80 thermal core would do?

What it does with a tiny 60X80 Lepton core is simply amazing and the software is awesome and there is more software being written.

Once you get up to a 320 core, sure it works great, but the cost is NOT going to be $350....the Lepton core is just the beginning of an array of amazing new microthermal core developments.

When I got my Coyote Calling App for my IPhone, did I plan on calling coyotes in from two miles out like my FoxPro Prairie Blaser?

No.

However when I am in my tree stand at dawn or dusk waiting for something to show up and I use it to call in a coyote on the fringe of my sight, it works just perfect.

Same with the FLIRONE, I can use it to detect a heat signature that I otherwise would not detect and kill the coyote, or that deer I otherwise would not have detected or seen in the shadows.

Also, since I reload and it is very difficult to find my brass in the leaves and grass, I no longer lose any brass either.

Last edited:
-
that good idea . I cant count the time I wasted at night hunting for dead coyotes laying on there side in the grass .
Coyote walking stands tall, You lay them down on there side in 10" of grass and you can walk by 10 ft. & they are invisible with NV .

They are still hard to find with thermal in tall thick grass. Show up great until they lay down dead.

I know man it's a bitch to find them laying where you drop them sometimes at night .they are surprisingly FLAT and hard to see when dead .
I rarely just run out to the spot where I drop them also . I like to let them lay where I shot them and do a little wait-time and call to get another one if I can . So after a little time goes by the exact spot is sometimes hard to find .
There been times when I have to wait and go back out in morning light to find and drag out of the farmers field because I looked and could not find . Daytime EASY, just takes like 2 minutes to see and find .

Best way I do it though if I can when grassy. I shoot rifle off Tripod majority on a call . I just lock the Tripod and Rifle POA on the dead coyote spot with rifle IR laser . Them just walkout to the laser to find where they lay . That works pretty well sometimes .

Again, have you used a 60X80 microbolometer before? What were you thinking a 60X80 thermal core would do?

What it does with a tiny 60X80 Lepton core is simply amazing and the software is awesome and there is more software being written.

Once you get up to a 320 core, sure it works great, but the cost is NOT going to be $350....the Lepton core is just the beginning of an array of amazing new microthermal core developments.

The only point that I've got is that the FLIR One is useless at night.

I never expected it to be as nice as my $10,000 dollar thermal device, but I did expect it to be as good as a $1000 E Series or i Series unit.

$350 + $600 iPhone is the actual cost. Especially since it it tied to a specific iPhone series... Given those costs, it might be wiser to get a dedicated industrial unit.

I had a guy from NIST go out to a field with me and we looked for a person in darkness, the low cost FLIR E series worked great, but the FLIR ONE... not even close.

(The software is nice... but cant see in darkness is an issue)

Mine arrived yesterday. Resolution is rough, but its fun to play with if you don't own anything better. I'm posting some examples:

1) Here's 2 guys at (at about 10 and 15 yards) entering the backyard between two garages, near total darkness. The resolution stinks.. it is very difficult to identify people, what they are wearing or carrying... on the other hand the contrast is much more intense than NV optics so I guess it's a good device for spotting any sort of warm blooded living thing in the dark.

2) Closeup of a bucket with temp at an ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge" (this is a screen cap from a video shot on the FLIR One):

3) Another screen capture from the Ice Bucket Challenge Video:

I sent my Flir One back for a refund, never even opened the package
Ordered one of these, Therm App $1059 shipped to your door from Israel via Fed ex
therm app.jpg
This is a video with it attached to a quadcopter

[video=youtube;isanYKyO0-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isanYKyO0-c[/video]

Last edited:
So, mincer's points are all valid.

I found, that in my back yard, with the huge variance in temperatures, deer were hard to identify.... smaller animals were impossible.

Anyway, some more pictures...

1) Cup of coffee, ice cold water, child... this is your basic FLIR AD photo...

2-5) These are pictures from 8 meters above the floor of a large supermarket. Note how that in this case people are the primary hot spots.

Interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    442.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 14
So, for next set of pictures, we have a person with his lawn mower. The first picture is him coming toward the front, and the rest of the series is the man and the lawn mower stationary.

It's not always easy to see the man, who is 15 yards of the point the picture was taken. 75F outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 17
Now we are going to look at a house. The house is behind a wooded fence, and some trees. It's got windows, you can certainly see it very clearly under daylight conditions. (I should have gotten normal pictures with these... but,ahhh, I'm a profession driver that was on a closed track, and the car WAS actually driving itself because it ACTUALLY does drive itself; do not attempt this at home.)

Attachments

• IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    443.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    445.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Next set... mechanical room with good hot / cold differentiation...

These are in the total darkness, at 4 meters.

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 15
Set two... same as prior message, but with SIGNIFICANT light:

Attachments

• IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 15
SKY-PUP:

Heh... your www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FlirOne.... is blocked by SonicWall's content filter as a gambling site. Wow.

So were those big pigs? Like the standard farm huge pigs?

The rain really helps keep the heat / cold diffusion levels great for the picture.

Last edited: