• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR PS-32 Software Update

SkyPup

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2012
North FLorida
Picked this up over at Predator Master's forum.

It is a software update for the FLIR PS32 that allows you to toggle the back lights off on your buttons, it also it allows you to adjust the amount of time it takes for the auto shut off to kick in definable up to 5000 seconds!

I worked just fine on my WIN 7 box on a one year old FLIR PS-32.

Now I have no lighted buttons and have extended the auto turn off feature to 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes.

https://flir.box.com/s/s9hqyuesr945k0bjhqem

FLIR MS-324 from Amazon ($2399.99) arrived yesterday. Flashed firmware with new software, as recommended by SkyPup, and configured with InstAlert instead of Maritime Red and now it functions the same as a FLIR PS-32 but with a yellow housing. For $600 less than a PS-32.

what's the difference between the :

FLIR PS-32 -- FLIR MS-32 -- FLIR MS-324b

....thanks

Great Info from SkyPup & MaverickNH
I been working & using NV & IR products over the past few years but the Thermal products are new to me & slow learning curve . It would be nice to get answers from those who have & used them to make purchasing easier from the model choices given from FLIR . & If anyone has added info or unit experience to add, please do .

On the hand-held compact units .
FLIR PS-32 --- FLIR MS-32 --- FLIR MS-324b

OK this is how I interpret from what I can find-out in my searching for answers & finally got some answers directly from FLIR . If I am mistaken please correct me .
There really is Very Little difference between these camera models ,
Apart from the outside housing color of . ( green, yellow, or grey ).
All 3 units are . 9Hz on the refresh . ( 9 frames per second )
& all 3 units have, Resolution: 320 × 240 pixels . Detector type: Focal Plane Array (FPA), microbolometer

The MS32 has white hot, black hot, and marine red as palettes . The, PS32 and the MS324b have white hot, black hot, and Instalert palettes .

Those versions are all equivalent with the same vanadium oxide microbolometer at 9Hz using a 19mm germanium lens with the same warranty.

You can purchase a new Marine version with marine red and the software update then allows you to ditch the marine red and convert to InstaAlert Red turning it into a PS-32.

Last edited:
If you have some of the newest flir units they also have the new software in them so all you need to do is click the boxes you want or dont want on your unit.
Software ID is in the upper left side of the unit when turned on.....for those who didnt know.

If you end up losing your lens cap protecting your expensive germanium lens, the replacement PS-32 caps fit the LS-64 also....just sayin'.......

If you end up losing your lens cap protecting your expensive germanium lens, the replacement PS-32 caps fit the LS-64 also....just sayin'.......
Those rubber covers are a joke & a half!
1st night out mine ripped at the joint on my ps32. Pals ls64 didnt last a week either, FLIR needs to address those ASAP w/real covers that dont pull apart at the small thin section.

I agree, you'd think that they could have engineered a much better lens cover for these instruments, especially considering the cost of the lens for them!

Those rubber covers are a joke & a half!
1st night out mine ripped at the joint on my ps32. Pals ls64 didnt last a week either, FLIR needs to address those ASAP w/real covers that dont pull apart at the small thin section.

They redesigned them last year, and they're better. You might try calling Flir for a replacement.

I've been trying to find someone locally who has thermal NV of any type that I can try. I'd like to have something that can be used to scan an area and locate critters within a 50 to 100-yard radius in the high desert near Carson City, NV. Then I could position myself to use a PVS-14 and IR illuminator to "see" and hunt them. Without the ability to scan an area with a thermal detection device, I'm left waiting for a critter to walk within PVS range. Usually this means I waste a lot of time because there are no critters in my immediate area.

Reviews of these lower cost FLIR handhelds are mixed and some owners find them useless for what I want to do. Their effectiveness may depend in part on the temperature difference between the ambient environment and the critter's warm body. On a hot night (say, more than 70F) this temperature difference may not be enough to give useful contrast.

Many commenters suggest that internal batteries are a bad idea, and removeable/replaceable batteries are much better. I don't want to have my batteries fail while I'm in the field and need to recharge back home.

Finally, with the modest resolutions of these lower cost FLIR handhelds (I mean the size of the pixel array), a smaller FOV is better for seeing small, hot bodies. However, the FOV is more like 20 deg and 7 deg would work better to see details (and you can buy a super expensive IR lens to get you there). Simply, you get more pixels per square degree and therefore better definition.

Would anyone like to respond to these comments, which are not mine but remain in my head when I think of plunking down $2k for an affordable thermal NVD?

Last edited:
I've been trying to find someone locally who has thermal NV of any type that I can try. I'd like to have something that can be used to scan an area and locate critters within a 50 to 100-yard radius in the high desert near Carson City, NV. Then I could position myself to use a PVS-14 and IR illuminator to "see" and hunt them. Without the ability to scan an area with a thermal detection device, I'm left waiting for a critter to walk within PVS range. Usually this means I waste a lot of time because there are no critters in my immediate area.

That is exactly how you use a thermal scanner.

Reviews of these lower cost FLIR handhelds are mixed and some owners find them useless for what I want to do. Their effectiveness may depend in part on the temperature difference between the ambient environment and the critter's warm body. On a hot night (say, more than 70F) this temperature difference may not be enough to give useful contrast.

They are not useless for what you want to do, they are perfect. They do have limitations that you will learn to work around over time and experience using them, however virtually nothing inside of a 50-100 yard radius from you would not be picked up by a PS-32 unless it is behind an object.

Many commenters suggest that internal batteries are a bad idea, and removeable/replaceable batteries are much better. I don't want to have my batteries fail while I'm in the field and need to recharge back home.

I've been using mine for two years, our hunts last 8-10 hours and the internal batteries have never been a problem. You can get portable battery chargers with 18650 LI rechargeable batteries and USB port to charge them in the field if you are going to be foutdoors or days on end.

Finally, with the modest resolutions of these lower cost FLIR handhelds (I mean the size of the pixel array), a smaller FOV is better for seeing small, hot bodies. However, the FOV is more like 20 deg and 7 deg would work better to see details (and you can buy a super expensive IR lens to get you there). Simply, you get more pixels per square degree and therefore better definition.

The more FOV the better for scanning, you can always use the internal magnification if need be to zoom in on something.

Would anyone like to respond to these comments, which are not mine but remain in my head when I think of plunking down $2k for an affordable thermal NVD?

They are a total game changer when used in conjunction with NVO.

Thanks SkyPup, I thought this group might have a more positive attitude about the "low cost" end of the FLIR line. I looked for the $2399.99 special on Amazon, but it's no longer there. I've seen factory reburbs at a huge discount and will wait for one of those to come to Amazon.

Hello folks! KTMrider here, this is my first post. I just scored this off of eBay for a crazy cheap price. MS 32 in new condition, date of manufacture, July 5, 2011. It works great, I'm having a blast with it. I live in woods and we have tons of critters running around. So thermal is great for seeing those things that go bump in the night here. We regularly have bear visits, they come right up on our second story deck and poke around.
I also plan on using this for scoping and deer tracking while hunting this fall.

I see there is a firmware posted, do you think this will work with my model/year? Do I have to do anything special to update this MS32? I plan on using my Windows 7 PC. I'd like to change the MS 32 red viewing option to the PS 32 type instant alert.

Thanks in advance for any help you FLIR users can suggest.

My unit:
gygy3ujy.jpg

Bear on our deck, notice the nose prints on the left window?
y7epypug.jpg

Hey folks! First post, just scored an MS32 NIB for $1526 off of eBay. How hard is it to do the firmware update? I'd like to get rid of the red image mode and update to instant alert. This thing is incredibly cool! I plan on using it for scoping/tracking during deer season and critter watching at night.

Thanks much!

KTMrider

Thanks Skypup! I'm looking at portable DVR's now. Anyone using Rage cams from the eBay sellers

There is one for sale on eBay, 4 gig model with 2.8" screen, $125.00 I might jump on it if I don't find anything better.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370619866.472247.jpg

Just downloaded program and changed my all red mode to instant alert, much better! Thank you SkyPup! I still need to update my firmware, I'll search for a new version tonight!

Part of the reason I wanted this unit, we have a lot of Black bears here. They come right up on our second story deck and peer in the windows... I might be making bear rugs this fall!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370627720.016137.jpg

My sister in law had a hummingbird feeder on the second floor bedroom deck and went out shopping and came back and was unloading groceries when she heard some major sounds upstairs in the bedroom, she opened the door and a bear had climbed up onto the deck to drink the hummers food and trashed her bedroom!

Hi Guys,

Update worked great with my ps-24 to.Will it work with raymarine models ?

Thank's for joning the link

Remco