• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Florida Hunting

DirtyJoe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2008
Tahoma
Hey guys. I might be moving to FL this spring or summer. I'd appreciate some first hand knowledge on what types of game/hunting there is in FL and in what part of the state they are in. Thanks.

Re: Florida Hunting

Joe-
Deer are small, does that cruise through my back yard cant be more than 60-70lbs. I'm in SW FL. South and north seem to have the best deer numbers
Hogs are plentiful in central FL, they are such a nuisance that you can hunt them all year round on private property. They are a little less common in the south and north
Turkey hunting is good in south, central, and north too, I believe. Central has best turkey numbers
Gator hunts, go south into the everglades, of course.
Waterfowl are mediocre at best in Lake O and the everglades.
The fishing is really where its at...

Need to do something about the "skitos" very bad, especially if you hunt near water, or swamp. I to lived in central Florida, I never had the ability to hunt on private land, so I never got to exsperiance the hogs, for deer hunting, I went to a lease in Ga. great deer hunting and a lot bigger. You are correct about the fishing, never had a bad day, for the most part I dont even remember getting skunked ever.

Gooooooooooooooooooo Gators!!!!!

The deer here are primarily small, although a few bucks get lucky and get enough years and nutrition to be decent. The best deer hunting I've had in Florida is in North Florida, particularly in Jefferson, Leon and Gadsden Counties. This is probably because they are so close to Georgia, which has far better deer. I've had a lot of luck with ducks in those Counties as well, as there are many old cypress lakes, ponds and sinkholes everywhere. Shot plenty of Ringnecks, Woodies, Mallards and even Teals.

One thing to consider though, is the type of weapon to choose to take to the field. The woods in North Florida are usually pretty dense, so choose your caliber accordingly.

I don't know anything about Central other than I've always heard that's where the gobblers are. I'm sure that there's deer there in those huge palmetto plains.

South Florida, pretty much strictly fishing. Unless you have access to an airboat, forget about the Everglades for hunting. And make sure you have a GPS out there, it's no fun wondering around that place at night with albatross-sized mosquitos.

In conclusion, North Florida is the Hunter's Choice, in my opinion.

I was in the Air Force stationed in Eglin Fl. North panhandle area of Ft Walton Beach. I was fortunate to be stationed where 1 of the other guys in my unit grew up there locally. His dad was a big deer and turkey hunter. I fell in with them and had 2 years of great fishing and hunting not to mention great people. As the other guys said, the deer were small. They hunted deer with dogs there. My first experience with that. We hunted in the Blackwater National Forest. Really close to Alabama. We don't have turkey in east Tx so that was my first experience with turkeys. I remember showing up the first time with my 270 and the old man told me to leave it in my truck and he loaned me a shotgun. I knew why after about 1 hr hunting with dogs. The deer come by you do fast, a shotgun is the only way to get one. A 75 lb deer running is about 2 ft tall and it's like shooting ducks. Quite a challenge. Good luck in Fl. It will be fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhedg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need to do something about the "skitos" very bad, especially if you hunt near water, or swamp. I to lived in central Florida, I never had the ability to hunt on private land, so I never got to exsperiance the hogs, for deer hunting, I went to a lease in Ga. great deer hunting and a lot bigger. You are correct about the fishing, never had a bad day, for the most part I dont even remember getting skunked ever.

Gooooooooooooooooooo Gators!!!!! </div></div>
BUY A THERMACELL!!!