• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Flow Through Suppressors?

When used on 7.62 gas guns like the HK MR-762, OSS cans are terrific. I have both an MR-762 and an OSS 762 Ti and they are a marriage made in heaven. Also, if you're a left handed shooter you don't get a gas blast in your face either. It's obvious that many of the people on this thread have no actual trigger time behind an OSS can. They are over priced however. Got mine on sale.

Another alternative is the LaRue Tranquilo. Like the OSS cans they have little back pressure. And I shoot lefty, so for me this is even more of an issue. Also, if you have previously bought an Ultimate Upper from LaRue you can get one for 50% off ($399). They are very rugged, so no problem putting on an SBR or doing mag dumps. And they have a pretty good QD system if you already have a LaRue muzzle brake.

The only downsides: (i) they are pretty heavy; and (ii) they are almost never in stock so you may have to wait 9+ months for LaRue to ship it to your FFL and then wait some more for ATF to approve.

But I agree with others, on a bolt gun OSS type suppressors make less sense. Honestly, I'd take a hard look at Dead Air Nomad Ti or Nomad L Ti for a bolt gun.

I'm actually looking at the Nomad L Ti and the Dilligent Defense Enticer L Ti for my bolt gun. I used the OSS 7.62 on my Sig Cross for the first time last weekend and to me, going off memory, it sounded louder than it did on my AR10. But I think the noise from the gas gun's action might mask the sound from the muzzle.

I have an OSS 5.56 QD helix and an OSS rad 22.
As far as mounting on my scar and MK18, I’ll never go back.

I've been waiting on the tax stamp for an OSS 5.56 QD Helix for some time now. Mile High had these on sale several months ago, and I wanted something to use on a few of my ARs that won't turn the brass black & foul the lower as bad as my old AAC SCAR-H did. My SOT called last weekend to let me know the stamp for a Gen 2 Ultra 7 had come in, so again, I compared the weight of the two and was amazed at how heavy the OSS is compared to the Ultra 7. Reading about these suppressors makes me wonder if I'll like the OSS, as nearly all my suppressed shooting over the past 10+yrs has been with TBAC cans on precision bolt rifles - so I've gotten a bit spoiled by how quiet the TBAC cans are.

I've been waiting on the tax stamp for an OSS 5.56 QD Helix for some time now. Mile High had these on sale several months ago, and I wanted something to use on a few of my ARs that won't turn the brass black & foul the lower as bad as my old AAC SCAR-H did. My SOT called last weekend to let me know the stamp for a Gen 2 Ultra 7 had come in, so again, I compared the weight of the two and was amazed at how heavy the OSS is compared to the Ultra 7. Reading about these suppressors makes me wonder if I'll like the OSS, as nearly all my suppressed shooting over the past 10+yrs has been with TBAC cans on precision bolt rifles - so I've gotten a bit spoiled by how quiet the TBAC cans are.
Prolly shouldn’t shoot ar’s with no ear pro

As I recall, TBAC did a couple videos and the action noise was about as loud as the actual bullet noise coming out of the suppressor.
I believe it, closing the bolt is borderline painful to my ears...tbac, cgs, dead air etc. for bolt guns/lever guns and oss/huxwrx for automatics seems like a no brainer

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Anyone tried one of the new sig suppressors? Their claims look interesting.

My SOT called last weekend to let me know the stamp for a Gen 2 Ultra 7 had come in, so again, I compared the weight of the two and was amazed at how heavy the OSS is compared to the Ultra 7.

I've got a HX QD 556 TI in inventory, and yeah, it's dense. The muzzle devices are also chunky.

It appears that the new Flow is about 3-4 oz lighter than its 556k predecessor, and if that weight savings is proportionally applied to the longer versions, they should be far more competitive in this metric.

I'm not normally one of those "3D print all the things" types, but additive manufacturing appears to be a great way to optimize material usage with this sort of geometry.

Anyone tried one of the new sig suppressors? Their claims look interesting.
I havne't shot them both yet, but I have spoken a fair bit with Sig about their suppressors over the years, and the key takeaway from the SLX/SLH cans is, among other things, that their mounting system is very robust and that the suppressor is easy to remove from the muzzle as it is designed not to carbon lock. The focus by SIG and OSS/Huxworx on reducing particulate emmissions is no accident, as carcinogen exposure in the shooting community is a serious issue, and one that is finally being discussed more openly.

I'm waiting to see back to back tests conducted on the OSS/Huxworx and the Sig SLX/SLH cans, but my impressions were positive.
I've got a HX QD 556 TI in inventory, and yeah, it's dense. The muzzle devices are also chunky.

It appears that the new Flow is about 3-4 oz lighter than its 556k predecessor, and if that weight savings is proportionally applied to the longer versions, they should be far more competitive in this metric.

I'm not normally one of those "3D print all the things" types, but additive manufacturing appears to be a great way to optimize material usage with this sort of geometry.
3D printing is a really powerful technology when used correctly. The aerospace world has been using it for years on everything from rocket engine parts to antenna arrays, and, dependent on the use case, it simply outperforms traditional manufacturing processes at nearly every metric you can think of. Imagine being able to manufacture a component that would otherwise require a year and a half worth of manufacturing time, multiple vendors, tens of employees, and hundreds (if not thousands) of man-hours to complete, and to be able to build the same component more efficiently in a fifth of the time. That's not even beginning to discuss how additive manufacturing is able to create designs and geometries that are quite literally impossible to manufacture via traditional methods to an equivalent strength or tolerance that the 3D printed part can achieve.

It's really, really cool that this technology is being embraced by the firearms industry and used when and where appropriate.

Reactions: Sinned
Prolly shouldn’t shoot ar’s with no ear pro
I don't know where you got the idea that I shoot suppressed without plugs and/or muffs? It didn't take me long to satisfy my curiosity about what a CF suppressor sounds like w/o hearing protection - one round fired out of an 18" SPR in 6.8 SPC with that AAC SCAR-H was far more than enough to convince me. OTOH, shooting my 22" bbl'd precision bolt 22RF rifles suppressed w/o plugs is most pleasant with std vel match ammo, which is all I shoot in those rifles.

I don't know where you got the idea that I shoot suppressed without plugs and/or muffs? It didn't take me long to satisfy my curiosity about what a CF suppressor sounds like w/o hearing protection - one round fired out of an 18" SPR in 6.8 SPC with that AAC SCAR-H was far more than enough to convince me. OTOH, shooting my 22" bbl'd precision bolt 22RF rifles suppressed w/o plugs is most pleasant with std vel match ammo, which is all I shoot in those rifles.
Then why are you worried about the oss can being louder than your tbac cans?

IMHO, the flow-through type suppressor is becoming mainstream. When you take a look at some of the Pew Science reviews here in 2023, cans like the HUXWRX Flow 762 Ti and the CGS SCI-Six are delivering solid results in sound suppression, while virtually eliminating back-pressure. Sound suppression at the shooter's ear and back pressure on a gas gun are highly correlated, as less gas in the shooter's face, means less "bang" is being transported backwards through the gas tube. Certainly 3D printing is helping this technology become mainstream, and CGS has proven to be a leader in design, with OSS / HUXWRX right in there. I have seen other brands pick up 3D printing as well as forward venting of gas.

I mount my HX-QD 762 Ti on my Remington 6.5 CM hunting Rifle, Colt 6933, Colt M16, Smith M21, Pre-Ban Yugo RPK, and my OOW M240.

I had to have an adapter made to be able to mount my suppressor on my M240. I may have an adapter made for my OOW USMC BAR. I think a suppressed BAR would be a fun toy at the range.

I ended up with the OSS HD-762Ti and honestly couldn't be happier honestly. Glad you bumped the thread as I'm looking at a rimfire suppressor but they're still $100 more expensive than the OSS Rad22 with similar weight but slightly longer overall length. Uphill battle but glad to see competition. Will anxiously await your report!

Well 18 or so months later, the OSS / HUXWRX 762 cans are still solid. How is your HD 762 Ti holding up? I have been pretty impressive lab results with the next generation of flow-through technology from HUXWRX, the 762 Flow Ti. I might set one aside for testing purposes and get behind it soon. :cool:

No complaints John! I use it on three different calibers currently until my other cans get out of jail. Doesn't degrade accuracy one bit, still easy to clean, etc...but yeah I have the new one on order so it'll be interesting to compare them. If I'd been smart, I would have purchased it from the range where I'm a member. They allow you to shoot them while you wait. But noooo. I had to be in a rush to get one the first day. Stupid me. Didn't' even think about it until after the fact.

On the topic of "flow through", as I mentioned in another thread it looks like the Thermal Defense products are coming back to the market under the name of Disavowed Innovations. From images on their web site it appears they take the hybrid approach--conventional baffles down the middle, helical channels around the perimeter. I'm guessing that is the easier way to get good muzzle numbers vs "full flow through" or whatever OSS/Hux does with their latest design. Hopefully we'll start seeing reviews soon.

As the market matures, I suspect we will see two price categories become evident--OSS and others like CGS trying to produce the ultimate product will probably continue to be at the high end, while the ones taking the simpler hybrid approach should be significantly more affordable.

On the topic of "flow through", as I mentioned in another thread it looks like the Thermal Defense products are coming back to the market under the name of Disavowed Innovations. From images on their web site it appears they take the hybrid approach--conventional baffles down the middle, helical channels around the perimeter. I'm guessing that is the easier way to get good muzzle numbers vs "full flow through" or whatever OSS/Hux does with their latest design. Hopefully we'll start seeing reviews soon.

As the market matures, I suspect we will see two price categories become evident--OSS and others like CGS trying to produce the ultimate product will probably continue to be at the high end, while the ones taking the simpler hybrid approach should be significantly more affordable.
That seems to be a similar approach to the new SilencerCo Velos LBP. It's a hybrid, 3D printed and welded flow through design, with more durable materials and blast baffle than the fully 3D printed Huxwrx.

I would assume a company like SilencerCo has more money to throw at this than a smaller company, so I expect the Velos to be decent as a first go at flow through.

1686362111064.png

That seems to be a similar approach to the new SilencerCo Velos LBP. It's a hybrid, 3D printed and welded flow through design, with more durable materials and blast baffle than the fully 3D printed Huxwrx.

I would assume a company like SilencerCo has more money to throw at this than a smaller company, so I expect the Velos to be decent as a first go at flow through.

View attachment 8159205
Yeah I believe this approach is also what you see in the LaRue Tranquilo. I think Josh (CGS designer) once posted one of Maxim's designs that did this, so it's been around for a long time. If I remember correctly, CGS does an advanced version of this.

OSS and MaxFlo 3D (now X2 Dev Group Orion) are the two I know that do something more complex without any actual baffles involved (e.g. no trapping the gas anywhere). That being said, I haven't seen a cutaway of the newest 3D printed designs.

Last edited:
Have you guys noticed any accuracy concerns with your OSS cans? I just recently got one approved that’s an old stock OSS 7.62. I have it on an also relatively new aero M5.

Last time I had them out shooting groups I noticed the first round of each group would fly about 1.5” to 2” high, then the rest of the group would settle in. I’m trying to figure out if it’s the gun, the can, or me.

Have you guys noticed any accuracy concerns with your OSS cans? I just recently got one approved that’s an old stock OSS 7.62. I have it on an also relatively new aero M5.

Last time I had them out shooting groups I noticed the first round of each group would fly about 1.5” to 2” high, then the rest of the group would settle in. I’m trying to figure out if it’s the gun, the can, or me.
Nope, not at all.
Makes me wonder if it's self-snugging itself on that first shot. I'd confirm it's fully seated on the collar.

Reactions: tobylazur
Well 18 or so months later, the OSS / HUXWRX 762 cans are still solid. How is your HD 762 Ti holding up? I have been pretty impressive lab results with the next generation of flow-through technology from HUXWRX, the 762 Flow Ti. I might set one aside for testing purposes and get behind it soon. :cool:
Im in love with my HX-QD ti.

Game changer for suppressed large frames.
I was ready to ditch that whole platform before I got that can in. Couldn't get more than a couple hundred rounds without needing to clean, constantly tinkering with the gas, etc.

All issues resolved with the HX-QD 7.62 ti.
I wouldn't touch a large frame with a conventional baffle design.

I am a big fan of the OSS suppressors. I have some of the older models as well as the newer ones. I have never had to perform any sort of weapons modifications on my gas guns.

The OSS cans work as advertised. They also work great on the bolt action rifles, although I prefer a direct thread on the bolt guns. You cannot go wrong with the OSS cans.

As of a few years ago, they were giving veteran and LEO discounts of 30% off but you have to call them for that.