• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Flush-mount bipod rail project.

mcfred

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
SW USA
I got bored and made a little magnesium insert to install in the front of my laminate stock to keep the bipod mount flush to the bottom of the stock. I wanted to keep the mount out of the way when I'm not using my bipod. I'd like to think this is a multi-purpose rifle and I might not need a bipod for hunting this autumn. It's just a slightly cleaner look and something to keep me out of trouble while I'm waiting for more reloading components in the mail.

For a recent match I needed some sort of mount and sling swivel for my new tacticool project. So I installed a quick and dirty mount with inserts and some quick Grovtec QD flush cups. It was functional and looked like this:
bipod_rail_before.jpg

Now it looks like this:
bipod_rail_after.jpg

Made the insert from scrap magnesium (lighter than aluminum):
293821w.jpg

Hogged out the stock on the mill:
2149vro.jpg

Masked it off and epoxied it in:
et5c3c.jpg

Trimmed off the excess, sanded and masked it off:
oa9k7b.jpg

Painted and installed the rail:
mmygll.jpg

Hmm, black on black makes for pretty poor contrast... In retrospect I could have made the whole mount out of magnesium instead of screwing the aluminum rail to it, but the alloy I have available is pretty soft and I'm not sure it would hold up over time. FWIW I think it looks better. Thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Re: Flush-mount bipod rail project.

This is the above and beyond stuff that keeps me coming back to this site!

You did a grate job,I like the looks of it.

Thanks for the kind words.

I attended my second-ever precision rifle match this weekend and finished 3rd:

33c0izs.jpg

The next project's a brake to keep the dust down and to help maintain sight picture/re-acquire targets.

nice install, very clean and just what you needed in this case. i like the look of the black end cap, reminds me of the old school wood stuff