• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Flute and chop an AR10T?

TW159

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Aumsville, Or
I want my 10T a little lighter and eventually want to suppress it.

I'm thinking of having it cut down to 20" and having fluted and threaded. Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

Thanks for your input.
TW

Re: Flute and chop an AR10T?

all the ar10T guns i shot were hammers, and mostly because of the barrels....i would not fuck up a good barrel just to be tacti-cool

get another barrel if you must

I dont see how cutting it down would "fuck it up". I have seen multiple .308 AR platforms at 18"-20" that shoot very well.

I am building one right now with an 18" barrel.

No offense Bolt just my opinion.

I had my AR10T done by competent gunsmiths. Fluting was done on a CNC, and the Walther tube got bobbed from 24 to 22. Steve at ADCO threaded the muzzle for a Badger FTE brake.

It shoots just as tight, but to re-emphasize <span style="font-weight: bold">it was done by known guys who know what they're doing</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bighouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont see how cutting it down would "fuck it up". I have seen multiple .308 AR platforms at 18"-20" that shoot very well.

I am building one right now with an 18" barrel.

No offense Bolt just my opinion.</div></div>

in the life i live, one does not mess with a match winning barrel, just because something will make it look cool or loose a couple of ounces......its very retarded thinking.....but hey if a specific mission calls for it.....who am i to say.

Believe me I'm not doing it for looks. I want to do it for function. I'd like to hunt with it and would feel better to me. I am afraid it'd screw up the accuracy and it does feel kinda blasphemous. Thats why I can't justify going any shorter, but I'd like to have a lighter easier handling package.

If I could get my hands on a 16" Noveske or SASS barrel I'd go that way and leave the original alone. But can't find one or really afford one. And I don't want one of those infantry weight barrels Armalite is using now.

Sinister, can I ask who fluted yours and what did it set you back?

thanks agin for your feedback.
TW

my .02 -

having talked to several barrel manufacturers and many gunsmiths , most DO NOT like to do fluting on a unknown barrel

and it seems especially on button rifled barrels ; stating that they seem to get messed up, opening up in the bore etc.,

sooooo, i would not do it

i have a heavy lothar walther .223 barrel on my AR and
speaking to several smiths , this is what i was told

Cut it! There is almost never an accuracy reduction from cutting a barrel. The better balance will make you wonder why they make a 24"

Fluting a barrel can cause problems from time to time and more often with a button rifled barrel (which is what the AR10-T uses)

Mike

I cut my DPMS LR-308 down from 24-20" and took some weight off under the handguard. The gun was just as accurate as before the work. I only lost some velocity.

I've been thinking of cutting my 24" T down to 20", but since Armalite now makes all the T's in 20", I may just buy another upper and keep the 24".

BTW, DSG Arms has a 20" stainless, fluted and beadblasted barrel for sale, kinda pricey, though.http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/257...ed-gasblock.cfm

Rainier Arms has 16" Noveske barrels in stock http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=arvariants_barrels and 762SASS has the 20" T barrels in stock http://762sass.com/product.php?p=231&cid=4&session=516954c001d965dc87f8f0cfaa88f7b5. 762SASS used to have the SASS carbine barrels for awhile but I guess he sold out. You should contact him to see if he's expecting any more. Just throwing some options out there.

Here's another .02 Why not buy another barrel and have the work done to it. May cost a little more in the long run. You may even find a barrel already fluted and cut to the length you want. The best part is if you don't like it you can switch back... I bought a 10T about a year ago I wouldn't take the chance. Just another opinion. Good luck