• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fluted bolt and cerakote question

Mxracer532

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
WA State
So I had my Tikka bolt fluted by LRI and then decided to have all my metal cerakoted. I wanted it two tone to match my stock. My smith said he tried and could never get it to work with the wrought iron pattern that the bolt is fluted in. He sent it to another guy that does alot of cerakote and he also said he can't do it. Has anyone run into this issue with this pattern? It totally screws my whole vision of this build and why I went with the stock I did......
PXL_20201115_011931522.jpg

Here’s a couple in the same pattern fluted and cerakoted by LRI

Maybe just have LRI do it?
0B3DCBD8-6885-4A32-8F34-776D7A488D04.jpeg
A03F2C52-E825-49E4-85B0-D5C28C4ED70B.jpeg

So you want two tone like black flutes and a chrome bolt body? If that's the case, I'd spray the black, sand the cerakote off the tops. My smith did that on my surgeon and it turned out.

So you want two tone like black flutes and a chrome bolt body? If that's the case, I'd spray the black, sand the cerakote off the tops. My smith did that on my surgeon and it turned out.
What I want is black bolt, and blue flutes. That's the part they are saying they can't do. I will call LRI tomorrow. But I already paid the Smith for a two tone cerakote job.

But I already paid the Smith for a two tone cerakote job.
You paid someone to do something, and after payment he tells you that he can't do what you paid for?

Did I understand that correctly?

When you say "blue" do you mean painted in some blue shade of cerakote, or do you mean blued as in the chemical oxide process?

If you mean "painted blue" I'm at a loss for how a professional painter can't figure out how to paint a base color, cure it, mask the part, and apply and cure the second color; and quote the job accordingly.

That's assuming you described what you wanted well enough and they acknowledged understanding.

I wonder what the other party in this story would say.

Last edited:
You paid someone to do something, and after payment he tells you that he can't do what you paid for?

Did I understand that correctly?

When you say "blue" do you mean painted in some blue shade of cerakote, or do you mean blued as in the chemical oxide process?

If you mean "painted blue" I'm at a loss for how a professional painter can't figure out how to paint a base color, cure it, mask the part, and apply and cure the second color; and quote the job accordingly.

That's assuming you described what you wanted well enough and they acknowledged understanding.

I wonder what the other party in this story would say.
So this is EXACTLY what I want. Yes this is what I paid for, along with the bolt release and the mag release being blue. So I have the mag release and the bolt release are now blue but the bolt being like this is what was really important to me. If I knew the bolt couldn't be done j wouldn't have had anything done in blue let alone getting blue stock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-162804~2.png
    Screenshot_20210317-162804~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
Get your money back from the original smith.
Find out who did that bolt and send it to them.
I have had AlphaDog Arms in CT do some Cerakote work for me and Aaron is a fantastic guy to deal with. Maybe give him a shout if you can't find out who did the bolt in the picture.

So this is EXACTLY what I want. Yes this is what I paid for, along with the bolt release and the mag release being blue. So I have the mag release and the bolt release are now blue but the bolt being like this is what was really important to me. If I knew the bolt couldn't be done j wouldn't have had anything done in blue let alone getting blue stock.

OK, so what's the answer to this question:

wouldn't think that would be too tough to have done.....spray the black....partial cure....spray the blue....partial cure....wipe the blue off the high areas....full cure

Call LRI - looking at their cerakote options online, it seems like they can provide this service.

Edit: Snake River Cerakote does a lot of work for Lane Precision Rifles. Plenty of two toned flutes.

Last edited:
If anyone can do it Kalli can @LongRifles Inc.
I called LRI, they said they don't offer 2 tone for the wrought iron pattern. He said the flutes aren't deep enough to get a really good line and they just aren't happy with how they turn out. So now I'm left with boring black or polish it back out. I'm wondering if I could put the bolt in a lathe and polish all the high areas and leave the flutes black???

I called LRI, they said they don't offer 2 tone for the wrought iron pattern. He said the flutes aren't deep enough to get a really good line and they just aren't happy with how they turn out. So now I'm left with boring black or polish it back out. I'm wondering if I could put the bolt in a lathe and polish all the high areas and leave the flutes black???
I just took some fine sand paper and did this one by hand.
Lathe would make quick work of it I'm sure.
IMG_0726a.JPG

I just took some fine sand paper and did this one by hand.
Lathe would make quick work of it I'm sure.
View attachment 7584620
That's looks awesome!!! If I would have known the blue wasn't possible on the bolt I would have done exactly like this. Just a straight canon stock, no blue and done polished and graphite black.
Now I'm wondering about having the bolt handle done blue and the bolt and then Polish the high spots of the bolt like you have done.