• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fly shooters, front and center...........

xray9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
Central Wash.
OK, you few guys who shoot flies @ 50 yards when others around you still trying to find the black........what worked for me today with a Walther KKM, 36X Leupold BR optics... a bottle of fish oil found in the Asian cooking section of your grocery.....spread some of that on your target with a lot of white background on sunny, warm days for great sport. My best attractant ever was beef livers, flies beat feet really fast. Your experiences please..........xray9

Re: Fly shooters, front and center...........

No bait, just a fresh target. 50 yds, 54 series Annie, Eley 10X, 12X Leupold.
Evidence...... Wings and legs, with a smear of fly guts.
Good for a serious laugh for us.

started shooting flies about 15 years ago. Use a 52 anschutz, Winchester 52C or D and Remington 40X and XB. I may have even started with a Winchester 75 target rifle back then. Most wouldn't believe me until I put them behind the rifle. Didn't bait for them back then. Haven't did this in years, but those I showed, now have riffles that will shoot the wings of flies
grin.gif
Of course, it thaks out the body of the fly also
laugh.gif

I didn't know anybody else did it.
The top one was center mass, and the bottom one was a head shot and he stuck to the target.
grin.gif

Headshotfly011.jpg

^Agreed, I'll have to give it a shot myself.

Here's my submission. Got them last spring. There are two there. The big splatter was first, then his buddy came looking for him about 15 minutes later. Fatal mistake!

50 yards, Savage MKII FV in Tacticool Stock. CCI SV

50yfliesx2.jpg

Fly shooting is a blast. Need to get back to the range with some bacon grease to "bait" the target with.

Charlie

That looks like fun guys!

I've hit a few bugs at various distances over the years.

The shot I got the most enjoyment from was a 65 yarder on walking stink bug with my Steyr LG100 PCP air rifle.I could see the pellet dropping in and that bug exploded big time.
grin.gif

Wish I had some pics.

Here's mine. It was only 25 yards, but hey target of opportunity. 10/22T w/ SS 3-9 I believe. The other guy out there couldn't keep his deer rifle inside 2 inches, at twenty-five yards. He was kinda impressed...

TwitPic

dude this is facking awesome. you guys just gave me a reason to pull out my old 22

I wonder what they would look like with a 17hmr? After I get this CZ 452 17hmr project done I will definitley have to try this. I don't know if anything would be left if I shot them now with a 6ai or 6.5-284.

I use jelly but it is for the hornets that come in Aug.
Asian beetles swarm at times also - no bait needed.
Weapon is Annie Bench gun with all the bells and whistles.
About 90+% at 50 - at 100 drop below 25%
Gonna try some of the fish oil.

Same rush as PD's but way cheaper.

Did you say hits @ 100 yds? You Da Man if that's the case. I have a M1413 w/#3200 Red. 20X.......over on the benchrest side of our range, I believe a 200 yd. hit with PPC calibers not out of the question if it is a larger fly and he sticks around for awhile. xray9

You don't need any bait here's the perfect target. There a little bigger than house flys but I have shot this at 100yds with my 10/22 with pretty good accuracy.

http://accurateshooter.net/targets/targetflyshoot.pdf

When I shoot at the public range here I get the funniest looka when they see I'm shooting a 22 at 100 until they walk by the target.

That takes the fun out of the splat when you do hit them. And if you miss you run the risk of losing your target, making first round hits a bit more important
smile.gif

100 is tough no question.
If they would sit still longer it would be easier.
You have to rush your shot and with a 2oz. there is some
colorful words to go along with the early let offs.

How about a large Bee at 100 yards. Shot with my Savage MK II TR .22lr.

100YardBee.jpg