• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Flying with a Suppressor

DamnYuppie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
Idaho
So for the first time ever I have to fly with my suppressor. My plan was to check my bag instead of carrying it on. Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of?

...and TSA still might see it when it runs through the checked bag process. I've been jacked up so many times for weapons parts it's not even funny. Ship it.

If it's just your suppressor it technically has to be declared as a firearm.

If you are flying with a rifle, better, just wrap it in a copy of the stamp, throw it in the rifle case. If you're on a trust, I would include a copy of it with your name on it. But always wrap the paperwork around it.

I have flown with a suppressor alone in my checked, I put it in a small case within my bag. Didn't declare it yet had no issue. However because of the paper work it is technically a firearm in this unique context. The danger is the explosive detection scanners, if the smell the carbon in your checked bag, you could have to explain it. Having it with the rifle is much easier and no drama.

I have one coming to me under my corporation in about 6-7mo im guessing. I was under the impression you cant cross state lines anywhere without prior written permission to do so, even for a day or a hunting trip.

I have one coming to me under my corporation in about 6-7mo im guessing. I was under the impression you cant cross state lines anywhere without prior written permission to do so, even for a day or a hunting trip.

You do not have to have permission if it is legal in the state where your going. I would be very careful passing through states where they are illegal, you have a right to pass thru but some states just suck.

this is is incorrect, you only need notify them if you move.

You can travel with a suppressor without worry, and without written permission. I used to fly back and forth to TX with my suppressors, as well have competed with them nationwide. Move about your business.

As noted, just don't venture into the wrong states like CA, if it's legal in the state you are traveling to, you're fine. I would not recommend traveling to CT with one and flying into NYC stuff like that. But in most cases it's no different than traveling with any firearm.

this is is incorrect, you only need notify them if you move.

You can travel with a suppressor without worry, and without written permission. I used to fly back and forth to TX with my suppressors, as well have competed with them nationwide. Move about your business.

As noted, just don't venture into the wrong states like CA, if it's legal in the state you are traveling to, you're fine. I would not recommend traveling to CT with one and flying into NYC stuff like that. But in most cases it's no different than traveling with any firearm.

Suppressors are completely legal in CT...just an fyi

It is legal to own a suppressor in all the states I am flying into and out off. I was going to wrap a copy of the trust and stamp around it and but them in a bag in my checked luggage. Thanks for all the good info guys!

No shit, but they are not in NYC that is the point, I am from CT...

Trying flying in or out of LaGuardia with a pistol on your way to Stamford Genius

Lowlight is dead nuts correct. I'm a LEO in CT and when I travel through NYC airports with my DUTY weapon with a can, Port Authority PD STILL asks a lot of questions. They actually swabbed my weapon (after I confirmed zero with it the day before) and freaked out when it tested positive for explosive residue! I gasped and said, " No shit!", then asked to speak with a supervisor and sorted it all out. If you're coming to CT with a can, either ship it or try to fly into Bradley near Hartford, CT - DO NOT fly in/bring any semi-auto/AR type weapons into the state. The state police will lock your ass up and throw away the key (while they let the gang-bangers in Bridgeport/Hartford/Gun-Waving New Haven go with a slap in the wrist).
A better idea would be to stay out of the NE altogether - I cannot wait to retire and get the fuck out of here myself....

Great news if I can cross the boarders with it. I really want to get out and do some shooting events or even just recreational ELR elsewhere. Im lucky enough to have at least 800+ yrds (no range finder could be as much as 1200, not a good estimator) off my porch in the mean while.

Technically you don't need to notify them of any moves. They request that you inform them of permanent moves but you don't have to. Suppressors and AOWs don't require notification of ATF prior to crossing state lines. MG's, SBR/SBS and DD's do. So in those cases you need to send in a 5320.20 form and have it back approved prior to going out of your state of residence/registration.
New york has stated that it will not abide by the McKlure Volkmer act which states that you can travel across states that do not allow firearms or certain firearms as long as you are passing through and not stopping. I've not heard of any prosecutions but its possible despite the legal protections of the act.

Frank

Just went to the SHC with 4 suppressors, one bolt gun, one AR, and one machine gun. Two rifle cases packed full of all that crap. Just declare the stuff at the counter, theyll look inside, none that I have dealt with even asked about the cans (they probably dont know what they are). I carry my Form 3's with me, but have never had to get them out.

Just went to the SHC with 4 suppressors, one bolt gun, one AR, and one machine gun. Two rifle cases packed full of all that crap. Just declare the stuff at the counter, theyll look inside, none that I have dealt with even asked about the cans (they probably dont know what they are). I carry my Form 3's with me, but have never had to get them out.

Makes my cringe even thinking about flying with one of my transferable machineguns and some dick stealing it by chance. ugh

Luckily my machine guns are worth no more than your ordinary AR, other than having decent parts on them. Can't say I'd trust airlines with a transferable.

DO NOT try to take it on the plane in your carry on. You probably won't run into legal issues that will result in being criminally charged but TSA will fine you civilly to the tune of thousands. Declare it and put it in checked baggage. I'm having trouble envisioning a case where you would fly with the suppressor and not with a firearm. If you've declared the firearm I would leave it at that. Bring copies of your paperwork and toss them in with it as suggested.