• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Flying

They know exactly who is flying with a gun,

And PS who cares what the guy throwing the bag is called, none of that are worried about stealing shit, and for the "TSA Locks are not Safe" crowd, when they steal long rifles from airports they take the entire case, not just the rifle. The few cases I have read they have stolen the entire case not just what is inside. It's easier to toss the case over a fence and retrieve vs trying to walk out of an airport with cameras holding a rifle out in the open.

I will tell you, with United, when I fly with a rifle, I cannot go to a Kiosk to return home. They know I have a firearm and the kiosk will flash red on top and won't work.

It says right on it, you need additional screening, they absolutely know I am flying with a firearm and hold me up returning.

For the master lock crowd

Reactions: sandwarrior
We had guys fly to Nashville with us, they could not bring their rifles home without buying a new case,

They flew from AK to Nashville, on the way back they were told their case was not acceptable and had to go out and buy a new one. So the fact AK Airport and the same airline said ok up there, but NO in Nashville should be a clue that this is about BEST Practices and not some one-off thing from a guy who flew it once.

From April to Oct I do about 4 trips a month, more than 1/2 I carry a firearm if not all.

TSA will go in your stuff without you present including your checked bag. They constantly search my checked bag because I carry my spotter and tripod in it. I get a note every trip they were in my bags.

This idea you have to be there is completely false, they will hold your rifle, reject it, cut your locks and make you miss your flight. There is Zero consistency so having options is the smart play. I carry both sets of locks, one set of TSA and one set of regular locks, it just depends on the Airline and Airport. What happens in one may not happen in another

Guys where scrambling to buy new rifles cases from oh so forgiving Nashville airport rejecting it

Reactions: seansmd
Well since I live in Nashville and fly in and out of here 10-12+ times a year and have for the last 7+ years, I can say I've never used TSA locks and never intend to use them. While I know they are legal and maybe preferred, I still use my MasterLocks and deal with the occasional call for my key.

It really comes down to personal choice. Follow the TSA and airline guidelines and be prepared to have them break their own rules.

I fly mainly Southwest and have flown into and out of about 20 of their terminals (Tampa, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Orlando, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Denver, Seattle, San Diego, Austin, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Portland, Spokane, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, Charleston, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Omaha, St Louis) and they all do it different.

Greg
TSA has their requirements. The airlines have their requirements and each airport has their own requirements. That’s why it’s always different. But when it comes to TSA inspections, they only care about their requirements. The airlines have to try and enforce TSA and their own requirements as well as the airports. It’s a shit show.

I ordered a new Air Pelican so I can put a rifle and my stuff in it,

Going outside the box with my case, not a rifle case but their short fat one to layer it

It won't be a rifle case,

Thank you @lowlight and @TacticalDillhole for all your responses. So much information...

I'm flying from SEA to Nashville for NRL22 Nationals in May
I'm flying from SEA to Anchorage for PR1&2 in July

Both flights are via Alaska.

Currently I have just bought my Pelican Vault V800. I will cut the foam for my MDT chassis which has the same cut out for my Vudoo and my 308.

I guess I'll pick up some TSA locks and some master locks. And go with the TSA locks, and if they yell at me that it's too loose, then put on the master locks? Sorry if I'm being dense, this is my FIRST time ever flying with a firearm...

Thank you @lowlight and @TacticalDillhole for all your responses. So much information...

I'm flying from SEA to Nashville for NRL22 Nationals in May
I'm flying from SEA to Anchorage for PR1&2 in July

Both flights are via Alaska.

Currently I have just bought my Pelican Vault V800. I will cut the foam for my MDT chassis which has the same cut out for my Vudoo and my 308.

I guess I'll pick up some TSA locks and some master locks. And go with the TSA locks, and if they yell at me that it's too loose, then put on the master locks? Sorry if I'm being dense, this is my FIRST time ever flying with a firearm...
Round padlocks make it difficult to open the case.

Not really I am flying in April,

I have to go to Nashville then straight to Gunsite
United is cutting domestic capacity by as much 60%. Just keep an eye on your flights. There is no telling what’s getting axed or not.

I have no idea what the fuck you are saying,

That is the Gun Room at DIA where they inspect firearms

That is the scanner
It didn't dawn on me that clarification is needed. The two guys in the pic are airline emplyees who handle bags, aka bag-smashers. Again, glad to see firearms getting scanned. There are levels of management and skills within that arena. CSA's are Customer service agents. They handle you getting tickets, making changes, aaaannnd...baggage claim. Baggage claim is when you pick your stuff up. Yes, a specific set of employees handle that at large airlines. At smaller airlines, CSA's sometimes do it all. Not in DEN. When you brought your rifle to the airport, it should have had to go through TSA. They have a distinctive uniforms. They, no matter what, are the first ones you have to please. It generally boils down to what kind of working relationship TSA has with each airline and of course, airports. Airports have to be on board (no pun intended) with what happens. With the lack of consistency between different locations, you can see where problems come about. it's a large playing field to iron out the wrinkles. As long as passengers, and their stuff, get moved, the system will continue to be the way it is. If you know the quirks it's all good. I've had people stop me because they don't like what I have. I'm flying non-rev, so no matter how tricky or sticky the situation gets, I had to maintain the placid face and not come off as hostile in any way.

I was thinking of just getting these - https://www.commandolock.com/collec...ut-2-bumper-steel-lock?variant=21490502107241 as Pelican recommends them.

And then

The biggest issue you will run into is an ignorant gate agent who knows nothing about guns. Many airlines require the agent to unlock the case and slip their hand in. If the can get their hand in, they will say it’s not “locked”. Right wrong or indifferent their opinion is all that matters. I suggest something like this

get the smallest size you ca find that fits your case that allows the least amount of opening of the lid. Put one on every place there is a lock hole.

Well since I live in Nashville and fly in and out of here 10-12+ times a year and have for the last 7+ years, I can say I've never used TSA locks and never intend to use them. While I know they are legal and maybe preferred, I still use my MasterLocks and deal with the occasional call for my key.

It really comes down to personal choice. Follow the TSA and airline guidelines and be prepared to have them break their own rules.

I fly mainly Southwest and have flown into and out of about 20 of their terminals (Tampa, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Orlando, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Denver, Seattle, San Diego, Austin, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Portland, Spokane, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, Charleston, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Omaha, St Louis) and they all do it different.

Greg

FYI, masterlocks are terrible. A simple take pick and they open in seconds.

So, don’t think for a second they are any more secure than tsa locks just because they don’t have a universal key. They only keep out honest people.

I flew to the NRL championship last December, first time flying to a competition.

Put TSA locks in rifle case and gear case, non TSA lock on my bag of clothes.

Got there, they didn't go into the rifle case, they do that in Denver before I leave the counter.

They went into my pelican air that had my pack, boots, ammo, etc. and left a card.

They cut the lock off my clothes bag, never made any attempt to call me, left a card taped to the destroyed lock.

They will absolutely go through shit without you being there, if they can't get ahold of you they cut the lock. If it's your rifle, guess what? Not flying unsecured.

Had my ammo/gear case not been a TSA lock they wouldn't have been able to relock it and I've have arrived in Texas with a rifle and no ammo or pack.

Use a TSA lock.

They would have called you if they needed to get into the case. Have had it happen at multiple airports. Never used a TSA lock and don't plan on starting but everyone has to make their own decisions.

Lots of bad advice on this thread, I'll listen to the TSA not Joe internet. They will cut your locks and pull your equipment off without remorse. Don't think for a minute they care if you didn't respond to some muffled PA announcement 2 minutes before boarding.

Totally disagree with using TSA locks. If you do then anyone can open your gun case. If TSA has an issue, they will get in touch with you and ask for the keys to you locks. I fly Southwest and they say right in their rules for flying with a firearm, to NOT use TSA locks.

Greg
This has been gone over repeatedly. USE THE TSA LOCKS

if he can do it you could too .

good luck and best wishes ...
Just remembered you could just have your guns shipped to where you are going avoiding the tsa all together ..

Last edited:
Totally disagree with using TSA locks. If you do then anyone can open your gun case. If TSA has an issue, they will get in touch with you and ask for the keys to you locks. I fly Southwest and they say right in their rules for flying with a firearm, to NOT use TSA locks.

Greg

And you are getting banned for spreading false information,

from SW Airlines

Guns

• Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.
  • Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and ensure that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paintball guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.
  • Paintball guns are allowed in checked baggage and are not subject to the container requirements of firearms. Customers must declare the paintball gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carryon only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e., the cylinder has an open end). TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
  • Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, lockedcontainer that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:
    1. A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.
    2. A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.
    3. The locked container or suitcase must completely secure the firearm from access. Cases or suitcases that can be pulled open with minimal effort do not meet the locked criterion.
    4. The Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock, and may use any brand or type of lock to secure the firearm case (including TSA-recognized locks).
  • Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.
  • Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.
  • Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.

I got banned through most of the shelter in place order.

Using TSA locks is still stupid.

"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations."

How can you do that if you use a TSA lock that they have a damn key to?

I follow THEIR rules and fly with real locks.

I will be accepting apologies for two more days.

I got banned through most of the shelter in place order.

Using TSA locks is still stupid.

"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations."

How can you do that if you use a TSA lock that they have a damn key to?

I follow THEIR rules and fly with real locks.

I will be accepting apologies for two more days.

You are getting banned too for being too stupid to be on this website

TSA is a not a person, it's an agency, you cannot fly without going through TSA, so them having special access is not the same, there is no KEY you are giving someone

I am so tired of stupid people arguing dumb shit to the Nth degree, bunch of little Tom Hanks in Big , I don't get it ... I don't get it

Literally from the tsa website: "Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks. "

They would have called you if they needed to get into the case. Have had it happen at multiple airports. Never used a TSA lock and don't plan on starting but everyone has to make their own decisions.

You're missing the point, they went into 2 out of 3 of my checked items, cut the lock off one, never called me.

Had I used a non TSA lock on the case they went into with the ammo, they wouldn't have been able to resecure it and they would have held it.

I'm glad using regular locks hasn't bitten you yet, I've come close enough to being screwed to avoid taking the chance.

You're missing the point, they went into 2 out of 3 of my checked items, cut the lock off one, never called me.

Had I used a non TSA lock on the case they went into with the ammo, they wouldn't have been able to resecure it and they would have held it.

I'm glad using regular locks hasn't bitten you yet, I've come close enough to being screwed to avoid taking the chance.
The only argument not to use TSA locks is some rogue employee would have access to a TSA lock key and steal your shit. To buy into this this same rogue person would have access to a TSA lock key but not bolt cutters (that they have on hand specifically to cut locks off luggage).

TSA locks for me.

Yeah that sounds like some shitty service at that airport but it's up to everyone to make their own decisions. Have made mine and will stay with it.

they go into my checked bag, (non firearm) every flight

they drop the little tag in, because the clothes bag will have a tripod and spotter in it, they always, open it.

the point being made is, your idea of what they can and cannot search, where and when is irrelevant as every single airport, and airline is different. The default for them is to cut nonTSA locks off and leave your gear unsecured.

the only downside to TSA locks is the average model most are familiar with. The cheap wire ones, just look cheap, they do sell heavy duty TSA locks . You can find beefier ones that match any master lock.

the worse part is as noted, the airlines, they don’t want you flying with a gun after the florida guy opened his in baggage claim and shot people. So they make it extremely hard for you, like with the reach in touch. They tried getting me with it, and I saw them deny a student on his return leg. He had to go buy new stuff before he could return home.

they dont respect you or your situation so you are smarter playing their game back, vs doing it how it was don 10 years ago. They learn, so you need to adapt.

Understand too

they track you with a firearm, some airlines mark the bags physically so they know you have a firearm. Other airlines like United that I fly, tracks me through the computer. On my return trip if I go to a kiosk it will deny me, the red light goes off, they know. I was traveling with a gun, and they want to see it. Now I just go to manned stations vs doing it twice.

during one recent trip I did not return with a rifle and it flagged me regardless. They know, and are paying attention.

just like reading this and I say,

I like to drink White Claw, you all will start seeing White Claw ads...

Yeah that sounds like some shitty service at that airport but it's up to everyone to make their own decisions. Have made mine and will stay with it.

Wasn't trying to convince you, just saying I'd have got hosed on a trip to a big event on the first attempt flying to a match if I'd have done anything different.

Reactions: Rob01