• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors FN 45 tactical - anyone tried one?

medicjim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Has anyone either purchased or simply shot the FN tactical 45? I'm curious about impressions, especially in contrast to the M&P and Springfield.

Re: FN 45 tactical - anyone tried one?

Don't know about the M&P nor the Springfield, but I did own an FN Tactical for a short time. At first, I honestly loved it. The natural point of the thing was.... natural. It ran flawlessly, and functionally, I have no complaints whatsoever! The capacity was a bonus too. However, the thing is B I G ! The description I use (because it is profoundly accurate) is they feel like a cordless drill in your hand. They are just that big. Now I have a couple of HK Tacticals (.45 and 9mm) and [for me] they are the cat$&!t.
Others may disagree; that's just my opinion.

I can't speak for the Springfield (assuming XD) or the M&P, but I do have the FN Tactical. I agree with csi with just about everything said. It is very accurate, and incredibly reliable so far. I've had one failure to feed, but that was from an out of spec American Eagle round. Magazine capacity is fantastic. You get a ton of gun for the money. 3 mags, thread protector and soft case. I also have a USP 45 Tactical, and much prefer the FN Tactical. The grip and point of aim are much better for me, but I do find that after a few hundred rounds, the aggressive grip checkering does get my hands a bit tender if I'm not wearing gloves.

2011-01-19_23-32-48_501.jpg

I didn't get to shoot one, but I handled one at the cup. I was very impressed with the surprisingly comfortable grip, despite it's larger capacity it felt much smaller and more manageable than my Glock 21SF.

My impression was that the poly frame was not top shelf. A dealer friend also told me they sold a couple and both bounced back pretty quickly due to various problems. The grip is big, way too big for smaller hands.
M&P45 is very solid. The dust cover has stainless steel molded in to give it extra strength and rigidity. The gun is very simple to maintain. The grip circumference is only about a 1/2" larger than M&P9 or 40 so it fits just about all hands. If you like, they can be had in a kit that includes an extra threaded barrel.
Springfield XD, if you get the M version, is more expensive. Also, not made in the USA. Grip is smaller than FN. IMHO, the slide it too clunky and makes the gun seem top heavy as round count in mag drops. Plus, the holster and mag pouches are flimsy.

I was deciding between this and my sig p220 for my 45Osprey host.

As you can tell the P220 won, but it was because it performed better suppressed, and didnt move enough weight to notice as round count dropped. The FN started to balance differently with each shot, and that was enough for me to get very annoyed. I threw the extra cash I had laying around at Sig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't speak for the Springfield (assuming XD) or the M&P, but I do have the FN Tactical. I agree with csi with just about everything said. It is very accurate, and incredibly reliable so far. I've had one failure to feed, but that was from an out of spec American Eagle round. Magazine capacity is fantastic. You get a ton of gun for the money. 3 mags, thread protector and soft case. I also have a USP 45 Tactical, and much prefer the FN Tactical. The grip and point of aim are much better for me, but I do find that after a few hundred rounds, the aggressive grip checkering does get my hands a bit tender if I'm not wearing gloves.

2011-01-19_23-32-48_501.jpg
</div></div>

the gunshop i go to, they have one and i feel the oppisit of the guy above ( no offense ) i love my usp tac to me it fits better in my hand and i shoot better with it ( i have had it over 5 years so)

the fn tactical is a good gun i just like my usp more, i dont know about the springfield or the mp how ever

edit, just my opinion

Thank you everyone for your responses...

I'll still take a look when I find a gun shop that has one, but it sounds like the size takes it out of the running, I have medium hands...had to sell an older HK USP 45 due to size

First post...lets hope I get this right
cool.gif

I LOVE my FNP-45 Tac. Nice and solid, tons of big pills per mag, and perfect host for RMR and Osprey can.

HOWEVER, I have reservations about it being a carry gun due to its size (not bad if open carrying) and problems during early load development. I KNOW, I KNOW- reloads shouldn't be used to determine reliability BUT I had a few thousand that my other .45 and my buddy's USP ate up without hicup.

THIS GUN LIKES HOT ROUNDS. After I loaded my rounds hotter (quite a bit) it has functioned flawlessly since.

As a side note, after owning this and spending lots of time with my buddies USP, its a toss-up as to which one I like more. GUN ONLY I would take the USP (More reliable in my opinion and shoots like a dream) BUT with this RMR and CAN its just SSSSEEEEXXXXX....

Heres a pic of my setup.

photo5-1.jpg

The second one is 15 ROUNDS PER TARGET, 45 feet standing/no support.

photo.jpg

Not a bad first post, eh? Photobucket ugh....

Had one before the HK45. First, it is very accurate and comes with great sights. Obviously the capacity is awesome. If you cant shoot the USP45 it probably wont work for you but I like it better than the G21 grip. The FN45 grip is very square but not as bad as you would think for the 15 round capacity, it was ok for me. It comes with 3 mags and a nice case, kudos to FN for that.

Mine had some fatal flaws: terrible reliability and the mags were garbage. I dont like the trigger design with the pin that can walk out and prevent firing. The frame is very flexible, making it the softest shooting 45 I've ever seen, but that flex has led to some trigger group problems for others, mine had none of that and everything stayed in place fine.

I REALLY wanted to like the FN-45T but frankly malfunctions annoy the $#%! out of me. Giving up the huge cap for absolute reliability in the HK45 was a no brainer for me.

Others have had better luck, and if it holds are getting a lot of features for the money.