• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

FN actions???? Are any factory actions true????

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
Are those FN actions very true from the factory or do they need cleaned up? How about the Howa's how are they? And what about the tikkas? Lee

Re: FN actions????

They are pretty straight but if your going through the expense of a build a couple hundred bucks to clean up the action is worth while.

I prefer the fn but its just that a preference.I like controlled feed actions but have push feeds as well.It realy does just come down to what you want.

to be really honest i want a rifle that i can just screw on a new shilen chromeoly 6mm blank and dhoot coyotes out to 7-800 yards. I dont want to have one trued. Lee

Mickey Coleman, pretty well know in the Benchrest world, is a proponent of the Howa actions. When he rebarrels them, he doesn't true the actions.

I dont think any action (GAP, Surgeon, Stiller, Borden, etc) can be any tighter/better than any regular new Rem700 action trued totally over from a good gunsmith.

Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think any action (GAP, Surgeon, Stiller, Borden, etc) can be any tighter/better than any regular new Rem700 action trued totally over from a good gunsmith.

Just my .02 </div></div>

A properly trued Remington will do anything that a custom will, but the debate is over features, rigidity, etc. If OP is dead set on not truing up an action and just screwing on a barrel then a custom action is the safest bet.

Josh

I have had 3 fn custom builds done without truing and they all have shot better than 1/2moa. my smith told me they were noticably better than remington in terms of needing to be trued up. I am going to try it on the next one but i wouldn't worry about it.

just my .02cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think any action (GAP, Surgeon, Stiller, Borden, etc) can be any tighter/better than any regular new Rem700 action trued totally over from a good gunsmith.

Just my .02 </div></div>

I disagree, have you tried a Sako or AI?

I think that as factory actions go, I was quite pleasantly surprised back in 2002 when The 'Hide got involved in a rifle project. It was based on factory Savage 10FP rifles chambered in .260 Rem.

One of our participants is a professional master machinist/model maker, with access to significant dollar equipment up to and including an electron microscope. This skill extends to considerable experience with reconfiguring rifles, and he broke down and guaged our three rifles.

The results were very encouraging, enough so that we suspected we might have been provided with something that had been tuned up by the factory before they got handed over to us. He selected another rifle from his own collection and tore it down as a control. Same degree of precision throughout. His verdict was that they really wouldn't benefit significantly from blueprinting; and that the threads in particular were so good, he didn't want to even consider recutting them.

Then, being who he was, he went ahead and blueprinted them anyway.

For the benefit of anyone who's seriously thinking about such a project, I really couldn't recommend a better factory action; and while we're on the subject, those factory actions, along with some especially sweet higher precision actions, ranging from repeaters to dual port, single shot actions, can be had from Savage for a pricetag which compares very favorably with other sources.

I remind us all, in addition, that technically, these are all factory actions. Look here, and here, and here. Please note also that these prices include magazines, recoil lugs, trigger guards, and Accue-triggers.

The Savage Accuestock fits many of them. Lothar-Walther, along with plenty of other outstanding barrel crafters, makes no-gunsmith replacement barrels that fit them perfectly. Many stock makers have products already inletted to handle them.

For me, the search stops here; and my only regret is the unfortunate combination of my beer budget and my champagne tastes...

Greg

I agree with Greg. My brother has a Savage target action. He has now bought 2 Shilen replacement barrels for this action with all three shooting under 1 inch at 300 yards. (223 and 6br) His 284 Shehane barrel should be delivered today. No gunsmithing, no truing, easily <1/2MOA consistently.

I will go that way when I buy again.

Larry Scott has them on his website:
http://greatscottshooters.com/action.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then get a custom action. Surgeon, GAP, Stiller, Borden, BAT, whatever...

Josh </div></div>

Just because its custom doe's not mean its true! I have a McMillan action that was more out of spec than my REM 700 and the only thing wrong with my HOWA was the threeds where a bit out of round.

Borden Timberline is the most up to spec I have ever heard of but still needs to be touched!

Jon

Jon

Pretty sure that my AI came true...

It shoots sub half MOA, too.

I don't, but it does...

Re: FN actions???? Are any factory actions true????

Skeetlee, Sir, I strongly encourage you to consider what our,(Resident Elderly Fart) has presented to you .

I must confess, I'm a converted Savage guy too.
Check these out. Kind of "high end" Savages, but still very low end compared to other customs.

www.savagedoctor.com

Dennis Olsen, smith who does a lot of work for Lilja, told me that it was a waste of good money to true a Tikka action. I still wondered though.

When I did get mine rebarreled, I had the front of the action shortened (to remove the bevel) to mate better with a Rem. 700 style recoil lug. The smith told me it was as close to perfect from the factory as any he'd ever seen and that if we hadn't been removing material for another purpose, he wouldn't have touched it. Threads were also round and square to the action.

John

skeelee,

Don't be in such a hurry to ditch the factory barrel. Unless your already a highly skilled and practiced shooter you're unlikely to be shooting yotes out at 800 yards any time soon and the standard barrel is likely to provide more than enough accuracy during the early part of your learning curve.

Once you've spent 12 months or so shooting *alot* of rounds out of the factory barrel, then consider rebarrelling it, otherwise you'll be simply shooting out a custom barrel more or less for nothing.

Savage come highly recommended, but I'll add another vote for Howa as well...My relatively new standard factory SS Howa in .308win is *averaging* an honest 5/8" group size for the last 8 groups I've shot to count...Thats a running average and is made up of a mix of 3 and 5 shot groups with all shots counted and no bad shots/groups excluded....

Below is a write up by a chap I know concerning a budget long range outfit:

Project Tightwad

Its no secrete that i like nice toys as i have many. I can even shoot a few of them fairly well. Benchrest is the game to play in these parts if your going to compete so thats what i do. I still however have a strong liking for the robust tactical type rifles. I have zero use for it other than shooting coyotes or just because i want one. Im going to build one but i am going to do it on somewhat of a budget, I am going to use a manners T3 for sure and probably a howa action. maybe a tikka if i play my cards right. O may even use a good old rem 700 if i stumble onto one at the right money. The howa barreled actions are looking like the winner at the moment though. I can buy one with a sporter barrel for something like 350. I also feel like the shilen chromoly barrels are one of the best kept secrets in shooting. at east this has been my experience. A very well know benchrest shooter also shoots them and kicks ass while doing so. There great barrels and midways prices are unbeatable. For 140 bucks a blank i will always take that over a factory tube. I will say that i did have a rem 700 in 243 varmint one time that shot lights out!! I should have never sold that rifle!!! Anyway this is what i do. I dont drink i found a good women so now all my spare money goes to this madness i have!! LOL!! The rifle i am going to build will be a 243AI thats another for sure. So the manners T3 and 243AI are the for sures at this point and the howa sounds like a shoe in as well. Super sniper 3x9 is also a good probability.
Coyotes at 800 yards is definitely not easy to do but it sure sounds like a dam good excuse to me!! Keep the ideas and opinions coming fellas this is fun!! Thanks for sharing! Lee

As factory barrels go, a lot are contracted out (often to L-W, this is where the bulk of their business originates, and this on an international basis.)

Savage still makes the grand majority, at least, in-house; and unless there's been some sort of inadvertent, undetected (not likely, they also have pretty good QC) damage to the crown, they tend to be very good shooters.

In my own humble opinion, they are well worth hanging onto, even when replaced, and used in some fashion or other (on a beginner's loaner rifle, perhaps? This is a good application where a Stevens action could be employed.) until they get shot out.

My experience with several 10FP .308's also tends to support a supposition that they are throated a tad short from the factory. allowing lands to be met without disabling magazine feeding capability, and perhaps extending overall throat/bore life.

Greg

Lee- This is pretty much the rifle you have described--only built on an FN action, chambered in .243 with a med palma rock. All of my FNs have required a minimum of truing, but as stated above, its a small additional cost, considering.

243003JPG.jpg

243001JPG.jpg

nice rifle scout! Ya thats pretty close to what i have in mind. Greg i know a lot of folks really enjoy savage/Stevens actions but i just can bring myself to purchase one. They feel like junk to me. I know they shoot well and it has been proven many times over. There not junk i know, but they sure feel like it to me. I just dont see myself ever buying one. Personal thing i guess!! Its going to be a little bit before i start on this project so i have some time to debate the different options. Lets see some more pics fellas. thanks for the conversation! Lee

I have a FN action as well and very happy with it but as others have said depends on how picky you are but min. work to be done.

BVEAL

Great looking rifle and looks like some good shooting. Did not know you worked at a trophy and ribbon shop
wink.gif
. ? answered with pics above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BVEAL

Great looking rifle and looks like some good shooting. Did not know you worked at a trophy and ribbon shop
wink.gif
. ? answered with pics above. </div></div>

Thanks!
It's amazing what you can do with a pair of dollar store scissors and some left over Christmas gift ribbon if you set your mind to it.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GGN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BVEAL

wink.gif
. ? answered with pics above. </div></div>

Thanks!
It's amazing what you can do with a pair of dollar store scissors and some left over Christmas gift ribbon if you set your mind to it.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Still wondering who would let you borrow a rifle like that and how the target was made. Sure you did not have a hole punch on hand, they were next to the scissors I'm sure.
wink.gif