• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN FAR Rilfes - a couple of questions

onethousandmeters

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2013
I've been reading about these rifles for a while, and on paper they seem good to go. However, I did a couple of youtube searches for videos on cleaning and field stripping them. One video was TWENTY MINUTES LONG! My first question is: are these things really that complicated and detailed to take apart just to properly clean? These remind me of a worse version of the FN FS2000 I had several years ago. I had to continually get the owner's manual out just to put the thing back together. Secondly, how are they accuracy wise, say with FGMM? Some reviewers claimed 1/2 MOA while others said they never got better than 1.5 MOA. Anyone's experience here (and advice) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've been reading about these rifles for a while, and on paper they seem good to go. However, I did a couple of youtube searches for videos on cleaning and field stripping them. One video was TWENTY MINUTES LONG! My first question is: are these things really that complicated and detailed to take apart just to properly clean? These remind me of a worse version of the FN FS2000 I had several years ago. I had to continually get the owner's manual out just to put the thing back together. Secondly, how are they accuracy wise, say with FGMM? Some reviewers claimed 1/2 MOA while others said they never got better than 1.5 MOA. Anyone's experience here (and advice) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I owned a FNAR and notice the past tense of owned. Mine was about a 1 1/2 MOA gun and would sometimes group better. Cleaning and field stripping was a chore. It certainly was not a MBR and was more of a hunting semi. I had mine for maybe 3 months before dumping it.

The FNAR is basically a Browning BAR (NOT the badass .30-06 SAW, the other BAR) with a tacticool stock. As was said, youre basically talking about a high end semi-auto hunting rifle that has a wide variety of chambering options. SCAR 17 would probably be a better bet for what youre thinking if a FN-H is what you want. Or one of the medley of .308/7.62mm AR-10-sized rifles.

Say, I know this is off-topic, but I saw a nutnfancy video the other day when he was shooting a FN-H M16A2, did FN ever make any AR15 platform rifles for the civvie market? If not, were the FN M16`s any better or worse than, Colt for example?

The FNAR is basically a Browning BAR (NOT the badass .30-06 SAW, the other BAR) with a tacticool stock. As was said, youre basically talking about a high end semi-auto hunting rifle that has a wide variety of chambering options. SCAR 17 would probably be a better bet for what youre thinking if a FN-H is what you want. Or one of the medley of .308/7.62mm AR-10-sized rifles.

Say, I know this is off-topic, but I saw a nutnfancy video the other day when he was shooting a FN-H M16A2, did FN ever make any AR15 platform rifles for the civvie market? If not, were the FN M16`s any better or worse than, Colt for example?

Bingo on the FNAR. About the FN producucing civvie AR's I don't believe they have. Just barrel's and uppers are all they have sent into the US

Great gun if you get a good one, seems to be a lot of Duds out there. I have a 20" heavy barrel and its a good gun.

OP,
I buddy of mine picked up an FNAR HB 16" for hunting/HD use. He wanted something with more punch than the 5.56MM Colt AR15 carbine that he is convinced helped keep his extended family safe from the roaming gangs of looters after Katrina. I mounted a nice Leupold 3x9ish scope on the FNAR for him. First time out, the most accurate ammo I had available was a lot of 168gr. SMK based mil-spec M852 which had proven accurate in my M14 rifle. (3) different shooters all produced groups under MOA at 100yds. off the bench with the M852. That is my only experience with the FNAR but I was definitely impressed with that level of accuracy from a non-accurized semi-auto rifle. Will test the 175gr. SMK over 41.75gr. IMR4064 MK 316 type load & LC M118 LR in his FNAR next chance I get. I know the 1x12 twist FNAR will shoot the 168gr. SMK very well but don't know about the 175gr. SMK yet. The reason I say this is my 1x12 twist M14 rifle shoots the 168gr. based M852 cartridge much more accurately than the 175gr. SMK based M118 LR loading. You just don't know until you test. 02.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Given the first few posts all seemed to say the same thing, I'll stick with a bolt gun, as I'd rather have the accuracy than the semi-auto feature for my .308. Thanks again, and wish you all a Merry Christmas. :)

i have the 20" heavy version and love it! its a bit more complicated than an ar or bolt gun to strip, but it doesnt get dirty! its a piston system and all the gunk shoots out into the handguard. ill clean the bore every time out, at least with a bore snake, but inside the receiver stays really clean. maybe a seasonal cleaning, but not much more... people love to bad mouth the rifle, but thats like bad mouthing a porsche because you like muddin... everyone whos shot mine loves it. its fun to shoot and hits everything you look at with ease! its not a battle rifle, its a semi auto precision rifle.