• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FN Mauser build

Mauser34

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2012
South Florida
I'm wanting to rebuild my FN Mauser action for long range shooting. I was thinking about a 6.5x47 Lapua. What do you guys think about this round? Does anyone know a good smith I can bring it to? I am stationed in Camp Lejeune.

Re: FN Mauser build

Might go out to Flatwoods Gun Club (north of LeJeune, out in Hubert) and ask them. I think they have a 'smith on site, but I doubt (unless things have changed drastically) that they do precision builds. They may (however) know a local builder that has the skills to complete what you want...

It's been years since I've been there, but another shooter (on another board) I have spoken with, says they're still a bunch of good guys running the place (FWIW).

Flatwoods

Let us know how everything turns out. I'm actually sitting on a FN Mauser myself, and have given some thought to doing the same thing you have posted. Too many projects, not enough time...
frown.gif

Haha yea. I can't seem to figure out what caliber to do. I keep finding new ones every time I do research. I found a good smith over by the air station, I just need to get some time to shoot out there.

The guys at Flatwoods are very nice people and very helpful. I shoot there all the time. About to go there today and shoot my Browning A-bolt .270 and test some hand loads.

I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing and how it comes out.

The two that I have been thinking about for my two large ring Mauser actions are the 260 Remington and the 7x57.

With the 260 you can seat the bullets long in a Mauser action. Plus brass is easy to come by or form. The 243 would be in the same boat if you want to go with a little smaller bullet.

The 7x57 was made for the Mauser and is a natural fit. It seems that there were some old guys shooting high power with this round up at our club.

I do have an old Paker Hale chambered in 6mm Remington that I am looking forward to finishing up and seeing how it shoots. That might be an option for you also. (It is just a 7x57 necked down to 6mm/.243)

Let us know what you choose.

Mauser34,

Treebasher brings up a point that reminds me of something I forgot to mention, I had forgotten to mention. The 6.5x47 (wearing my asbestos pants right now), while a great round, has reported problems with some firing pins/holes being too large for the SRP'ed case. This is with warm to hot loads, and based on what I have heard (I have no actual hands on experience). Either way, it might factor into your caliber choice, as it may cause more work needed than just screwing a tube on the action (so to speak).

I wouldn't be afraid to do a 280 or 280 AI. I have a rifle in 280 built on a Husqvarna commercial 98 action and it functions flawlessly.

6.5x55, take adjantage of mauser action's size envelope to enjoy the same perfomance of a 6.5x47/6.5 creedmore/260 rem with a pressure more commiserate with the age of the action, besides lapua 6.5x55 brass is cheap compared to the thers right now (my guess NOS)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinnj1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x55, take adjantage of mauser action's size envelope to enjoy the same perfomance of a 6.5x47/6.5 creedmore/260 rem with a pressure more commiserate with the age of the action, besides lapua 6.5x55 brass is cheap compared to the thers right now (my guess NOS)</div></div>

Oh man! I had forgot about the 6.5x55, now I am thinking about building one myself
laugh.gif

As though the 6.5x55 isn't good for long rang ehunting!
laugh.gif

Swede is a great choice for a Mauser, if it is a commercial FN action, don't worry about pressures and such for the most part. Got an FN Mauser (Commercial) that was 7 mag that will be 8 mag. Another is destined for .416 Taylor.

Swede has a soft spot in my heart, killed my first whitetail with an original M96.... and several more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it is a commercial FN action, don't worry about pressures and such for the most part. Got an FN Mauser (Commercial) that was 7 mag that will be 8 mag. Another is destined for .416 Taylor. </div></div>

Have a commercial FN as well one of my by far favorite rifles/actions.

The FN commercial actions are pretty nice-butter smooth. I got mine off a JC Higgins and it will become a 9.3x62 safari rifle when the funds are collected. Not that I need one or am planning on going on a safari hunt anytime soon, I just want to be able to smash shit with big ass bullets:)
In regards to the 280 AI, great cartridge and ballistics. Not to mention the great 7mm pill selection. It's too bad Remington fubar'd the marketing early on, otherwise I think it would be a lot more popular today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats what I suggested. </div></div>

308 Norma and the 300 Norma Mag are two different cartridges.

In broad terms the 308 Norma is in the 300 Win Mag range and the 300 Norma Mag is in the 300-338 Lapua range.

The 308 Norma is slightly shorter than a 300 WM and may be easier to fit in the Mauser's mag box.

You are going to have to open the bolt face up with the 308 Norma and I doubt you could even attempt to squeeze a 300 Norma Mag into the Mauser envelope.

I know a lot of people used to put this caliber in Mausers and O3s when it first came over. Does anyone know a good gun smith that can do it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mauser34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I'm thinking of using a 280AI so I can use it for some long range hunting also. </div></div>

That's what Dave is building my right now.