• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN PBR in .300 WSM

Re: FN PBR in .300 WSM

The PBR series was intended to be a budget minded rifle than the SPR. PBRs came with a 1.5 MOA guaranty where the SPR is 1 MOA. The WSM version of the PBR is actually a PBR-XP. It has the same claw extractor of the SPR and a one piece rail. The PBR-XP came with the OD green Hogue overmolded stock and a three round hinged floorplate magazine. The barrel length was 24", had a medium weight contour and was fluted. The barrels on the PBR and PBR-XP were not chrome lined. The PBRs did not get the accuracy enhancements of the SPR such as tight headspace, trued action and lapped locking lugs. The PBR series was replaced by the TSR-XP series in 2008 when FNH bolt action rifle production moved from USRAC to FN Manufacturing in Columbia, SC.

While both PBRs and TSR-XPs are guaranteed to be 1.5 MOA rifles, any one I ever shot was capable of under MOA.

Hope this helps.

If your going to be doing any long shooting strings, I feel you will be hindered by the PBR's medium weight barrel. I have a 300wsm in a SPR, after a 15 shot string the barrel is pretty warm.

If your goal is a lighter weight hunting gun, I'm sure the PBR will fill that role reliably.

Kind regards,
Jared

Action Guy,

Can you comment on any differences in quality control between the USRAC and the SC rifles?

I'm just curious because I've been looking at picking up a PBR-XP because I'd prefer the 2 lever trigger over the TSR-XP'S modular trigger, but if there's a clear edge on quality between the production facilities I might have to step up to an SPR.

Thanks.

tdow,

I don't think I can answer that question. I am a bit biased both ways. I have seen excellent rifles come out of both plants. I have also seen some not-so-great products get out of both plants as well. I think if anything has effected the FNH product quality, it has been the more stringint testing procedures implimented by FNH.

FNM is a newer plant and has the latest in manufacturing technology. USRAC had more experienced technicians and workers and a long history or bolt rifle production. Both have their advantages.

Even though FNH QC has improved since USRAC has closed, I would not be afraid of a USRAC built rifle, particularly if you prefer the two lever trigger in a PBR-XP. I own many USRAC rifles and will not trade or sell any of them. Of my three competition rifles, two are USRAC and one is from FNM.

From either plant, FNH stands behind the product for quality and workmanship.

Excellent. Thanks for the well thought out reply.

You've convinced me. If you can convince my wife that would really be something.

JBomb,

Thanks for the input. I was specifically looking for a lighter weight rifle, and that's one of the things drawing me to the PBR since the SPRs to my knowledge come only with the heavier barrels.

I am also considering putting a PBR into an XLR chassis to make a switch barrel unit for both the 6.5mm Creedmoor and the .300 WSM. Kyle at XLR advises that since his chassis feeds from AICS magazines, all I would need is a separate bolt, barrel and magazine for each caliber. An interesting idea, for me at least.

How does the .300 WSM shoot for you? I have experience with the .300 Win. Mag., but none with the WSM.

I have only shot the 300 wsm to 1000 yards, but I'm getting pretty good results. I know the gun can outshoot my wind calling ability, which is my biggest nemesis at this point in time.

I would be concerned about feeding from the AICS mags with the 300 wsm. If your loading shorter bullets and have a shorter throat on your barrel...it shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm shooting the 208 Hornady AMAX with the factory chamber/barrel, my overall length is running 2.995 which is .010 off the lands.

I know Alpha makes a larger mag specifically for the WSM this may be of benefit to you.

Kind regards,
Jared

You can always take the spacer out of the AICS magazine, that gives you enough room to load the bullets long enough. I have the Alpha type 3 WSM magazine and it runs great, holds 7 rounds, they make a 10 rounder if you want that many (I wonder how many 308 rounds it would hold if you tweak the lips...).

I love my 300WSM, its my favorite caliber, I don't have it in an FN but I have it in a Savage 16. It's dead nuts accurate and can stay supersonic out to a mile. I recommend Reloader 17 if you plan on handloading, that will give you the best velocities and accuracy. H4350 is good too, but it will be about 100-150fps slower, AA Magpro was also made for the WSM's and is a great all around powder.

Thanks, Jbomb and Rusty.

I have already looked at the Alpha magazines and that's what I plan to use. I will probably handload everything for this rifle. What brass do you like for this cartridge?

Well, it's all pretty good, the only thing that I would recommend is stay away from federal brass, it won't last you more than two loadings before the primer pockets give out. I have Winchester, Remington, and Norma, while Norma is the best, you can't go wrong with either. Remington is my favorite for quality and price, but I'm on my 5th loading and the primer pockets are starting to get too lose. Winchester is a bit lower quality, but after you fireform it. it should be fine, and primer pockets stay tight, even on its fifth loading. Norma is the best quality, but a lot more expensive, so if you want the best quality and price isn't an issue, go with Norma. Nosler also makes 300WSM brass, and although I haven't tried it, I wouldn't recommend it just because from my experience, Norma is better overall and the Nosler brass is a lot more expensive ($35 for 25 with Norma VS $55 for 25 for Nosler).